Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Years back when learning to shoot I remember the thinking was stick with a 50mm lens and stay on manual. It seems from what I have read about DSLR's the recommendation is to learn with a single medium zoom lens. But what about the program settings, unless I'm mistaken it looks like shooting in a pure manual mode has fallen out of favor. So while I'm learning do I leave the camera on P or chose either aperture or shutter priority depending on the situation.

wisredz

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
I'm learning as well and use generally manual mode. Dunno why, it's just the way I used my point and shoot as well. It all comes down to sam thing if you ask me though. My D200 shows which combination is the right exposure values, then I compose and shoot...

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
...........So while I'm learning do I leave the camera on P or chose either aperture or shutter priority depending on the situation.
It all depends on what you want to do! When I started photography, you had to adjust the aperture, shutter speed and focus. Few cameras had built-in meters and so we used a separate one in order to calculate correct exposure (I've still got my Western Master IV!). Nowadays it's "auto everything" which removes most of the effort - all that's necessary is to frame the shot and press the shutter.

Technology is moving ahead at such a rate, I should imagine that the majority of todays budding photographers haven't a clue what happens when they press the shutter release! Having said that - why should they? As you say - "just leave the camera on P or chose either aperture or shutter priority depending on the situation" - and have fun!

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
I just leave it on P most of the time, unless I'm shooting moving obects, then S, or I want a particular DOF then A. I'm no Pro, but I'm sure they wouldnt use M too much, unless they specifically want to overexpose/underexpose.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
I shoot manual 90% of the time. The only times I shoot in A or S mode is when the lighting is changing too quickly and I don't have my flash. I never shoot P mode.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
i have a d50 and personally I enjoy setting all the setting all th settings myself... it makes me feal like i own the picture more, the settings i dont like is the sports setting... It just doesn't fit my standareds :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.