Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Literally no real differences besides usual spec bump, USB-C input is severely limited and with a simple lighting to USB-C dongle you can do the same thing with last years iPad Pro

But the main point is that iOS is still iOS. Extremely limited and cumbersome compared to macOS so it’s not laptop replacement by a long shot, but great at media consumption. It doesn’t matter if you have the power of a Mac Pro in an iPad if it can’t do anything

Hopefully iOS 13 actually makes the iPad a machine pro’s could realistically entertain using

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Literally no real differences besides usual spec bump, USB-C input is severely limited and with a simple lighting to USB-C dongle you can do the same thing with last years iPad Pro

But the main point is that iOS is still iOS. Extremely limited and cumbersome compared to macOS so it’s not laptop replacement by a long shot, but great at media consumption. It doesn’t matter if you have the power of a Mac Pro in an iPad if it can’t do anything

Hopefully iOS 13 actually makes the iPad a machine pro’s could realistically entertain using

yes lets face facts. and the fact is that if Apple doesn't do what YOU want them to do because you want them to do it, then whatever they actually do is trash in your view.

and you are wrong about the whole 'great at media consumption' with the implied 'but nothing more'. many of us do just fine, even better than using a computer, at creation. even if you can't figure out how

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I think it depends on where your baseline is. If you are coming from no iPad or something 3 or 4 years old or more - then this is a great device. If you have an iPad from the past couple of years, then the value proposition does become harder and you have to really dig into your use case to justify handing over hundreds of dollars to Apple for the 2018 iPads.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
coming from an Ipad Air 2, I am really excited for the upgrade, also I treat Ipads as a alternative to using a PC/Laptop, not a replacement...there for IOS is perfect in my book.

Reactions: Capt T and flur

frostbit3

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
While I agree the OS leaves a lot to be desired, what Apple has done performance wise with the SOC in the iPad Pro is extremely impressive. The benchmark results speak for themselves. Again, the OS is limiting and it doesn't negate that, but you can't just say "no real difference" when the performance figures are as impressive as they are.

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
The iPad for me is useless. I need a computer to store the family’s photos and as a Plex and iTunes server. The iPad can’t do these things for me.

That’s why I love the cheap iPad! It’s a great couch surfer, and that’s all I need right now.

Reactions: off3nc3

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The iPad for me is useless. I need a computer to store the family’s photos and as a Plex and iTunes server. The iPad can’t do these things for me.

That’s why I love the cheap iPad! It’s a great couch surfer, and that’s all I need right now.

If you are ever interested in going iPad only, I would suggest investing in an NAS (I use the QNAP TS-251+). It allows me to run my Plex server off of it, download torrents directly to the NAS from my iPad app, schedule backups, keep all my family photo's etc. It's been a big reason why I have been able to go iOS only.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It is a spec bump, but a huge one in terms of speed, and the 12.9" getting smaller and lighter is what I always wanted so that I can move to the larger size, which is going to be great. I think in iOS 13 Apple is going to take off the gloves and deliver a solid update for the iPad. I think they are on a tick-tock cycle with iOS now. One year is optimization with a few features, the next year is mainly features with a little optimization. iOS 11 was a fairly beefy upgrade for the iPad bringing more and better multitasking, the dock, the new app switcher, and the Files app, but I think iOS 13 is going to be even better.

I could see them doing more with the USB-C and opening it up more to developers, giving access to external drives in the Files app. They could also make the iPad turn into a keyboard with trackpad when connected to an external display and use a more advanced, kinda reverse version of Project Marzipan to display macOS "Lite" when docked to allow professional and built-in apps with mouse optimized interfaces on external displays, perhaps even wirelessly with Apple TV. They could also rework some of the interaction and input methods to be improved along with contextual input and modifiers when editing something. Another thing is rethinking windowing for the iPad. They could also allow more advanced background processing or provide APIs to monitor for certain events. Something like that would be really useful when I'm doing development work and have a build process in the background. They could bring Xcode to the iPad. They could provide some sort of a software clipboard/project files holder that you can swipe in and off the display when needed while moving between multiple apps. They could allow apps to be updated in the background when resources change in another app. They would mean they need an actual project workflow that isn't sandboxed to different apps but is a common area that you can define as a container for each project and that can be your working folder that all apps can share. That could be kept in sync with your Mac over iCloud or even over a local network for faster updates, with the option to plug in the USB-C cable to your Mac or someone else's and simply copy over whatever project folders you're working on or move a project from your Mac onto the iPad. It should be as seamless as possible between the iPad and Mac but it also needs to work both quickly and reliably. These are all big challenges and I think Apple has been trying to piece together exactly how to do it and this year they're building it behind closed doors. Hope I'm not wrong.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014

Seems fine to me. The A12x is a beast. The FaceID is welcome. The iPad will be insanely useful for what I do, and will compliment my iPhone and MacBook nicely in my day to day use. I wouldn’t say it’s a replacement, I would however say it does stuff a computer CAN’T. I can’t just randomly pick up my Mac and start taking notes tapping my pencil on it. I can’t just turn my Mac sideways and begin illustrating or drawing unless I have an expensive tablet powered to usb with the same precision as Apple Pencil.

I can’t download Instagram or do other things I’d normally do on a tablet very easily on my Mac. I can’t pick it up and take a picture ASAP in the event something happens or I want to catch my dog doing something stupid. I can’t just snap the keyboard off my Mac if I want a screen and just want to draw on it, or FaceTime, watch Netflix in the palms of my hand. Check my bank statement at the push of a button on my home screen, credit cards, nor can my Mac really run that Sky Beta my iPad 11” will be able to with the same smoothness. Can you do all of that on a whim on a MacBook Pro in the same form factor, at the same convenience? Doubt it.

But I can video edit on my Mac better, I can check the full desktop view better, and edit photos a bit better with a mouse and keyboard.. even then. I still grab my iPad more from day to day.

It’s the portability of a smaller computer, with the mobile App Store (which can be superior to the Mac App Store) and the accessibility of a phone. And it’s more powerful than my 2013 MacBook Pro. I will be using my iPad more and it very well may be used more than my computer during day to day use. It’s simply more convenient. People are paying for portability and convenience. It’s what people want and are getting with the new iPad, and honestly? Are pretty happy with it. Welcome to 2018.

Last edited:

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
If you are ever interested in going iPad only, I would suggest investing in an NAS (I use the QNAP TS-251+). It allows me to run my Plex server off of it, download torrents directly to the NAS from my iPad app, schedule backups, keep all my family photo's etc. It's been a big reason why I have been able to go iOS only.
That’s put a cat amoung the pigeons! Good info. That is percolating in my mind.

Reactions: akash.nu

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That’s put a cat amoung the pigeons! Good info. That is percolating in my mind.

It's been super useful for me. I even run my homebridge off of it. There's a ton of capability that I don't even use too. It cost me about $500 in total, with 2TB of storage. I still have an extra bay of storage available too. It's been running great for about 3 years now.

Reactions: Christoffee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.