Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
So, my wife was helping me place a cover atop a shelf so we could paint. Like a dummy, I overlooked the fact my 15" MBP (2017) was atop said shelf with the LG supplied cable fed into my 5K display atop my desk.

Before you know it, my lovely (relatively new) 15" MBP was lying top down upon the concrete floor after falling about 5' and now with the LG supplied TB3 cord ripped out of it. The cord was toast. I was pissed.

Next day I called LG and asked if they'd take sympathy upon me and send me a new cable. LG graciously agreed and sent one out free of charge. Thanks LG!

While waiting, I became impatient and ordered a TB3 cable from Amazon b/c I love my monitor & had no clue when the LG cable would arrive. (fortunately, aside a small bruise or two, MBP was fine - lucky)

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 6.55.19 PM.png

Cable arrives>Plug it in>Review System Preferences>Monitor

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 6.31.49 PM.png

Suddenly, with this new cable, I can rotate my monitor!!!!!!! This = happy me!! A near tragic event helped me to serendipitously stumble upon this sadly missing feature using the LG supplied TB3 cable.

P.S. Once the LG replacement arrived, tried it, of course. No ability to rotate the screen.

You're welcome.

*I've edited the initial post b/c I accidentally attached a photo of the wrong cable - it's now been corrected.

Last edited:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
That is wild. I tried a mono price Thunderbolt 3 cable I purchased over a year ago and the same result. Rotation is now available. Weird that it works with standard TB3 certified cables but not the one provided by the vendor.

Reactions: Porkchop Sandwich

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Thank you for sharing, bcaslis. I agree, it strikes nonsensical the LG cable does'nt support the function while 3rd party offerings do. Ah, well..it's what it is. Despite this fact, I am a total fan of the monitor despite many haters and, I've had it for a good while.

I think you're saying you acquired a low budget cord (as compared to the $60 cord I bought) and it worked; yes?

Clearly, I wouldn't know the answer b/c I spent the bucks as detailed in the screen shot..perhaps unnecessarily!!

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Great find!

My Ultrafine 5K intermittently blacks out for a few seconds. (happens a few times a week)
Does this cable solve that too?

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Ironic as I have the 4K and was curious if I could find a cable that was a little more pliable than the one it came with.

Wouldn't have surprised me if on some level it was proprietary but it looks like it isn't.

Now to search for one that is a little less Han in Carbonite.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The cable has nothing to do with rotation capability. Check the Thunderbolt section of System Information.app. The speed for the Thunderbolt port and the LG upstream port should say "Up to 40 Gb/s x1" and the Current Link Width should say "0x2". I would use SwitchResX to check the timing information for the current resolution of the display (double click it to see) is still running at 900+ MHz (5K 60Hz) instead of 500+ MHz (4K 60 Hz).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.