Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LIFX just recently introduced HomeKit support for its existing Wi-Fi connected smart bulbs, and today, the company is launching a new product with HomeKit compatibility, the LIFX Tile.

The LIFX Tile is similar to the Nanoleaf Aurora, offering a series of five 7.87-inch square plastic panels that are meant to be attached to a wall using 3M adhesive. Tile panels can be arranged in any configuration, but unlike Aurora, only five panels can be connected to a single controller.

lifxtile2-800x502.jpg

Though only five panels can be connected, there are 64 individually addressable zones in each Tile for creating unique light patterns with multiple colors on each of the squares.

Across five panels, Tile offers 2100 lumens of light and can be set to turn any color just like LIFX bulbs. There's also a dimming feature to control the light output.

lifxtile1-800x491.jpg

According to LIFX, Tile is compatible with HomeKit, Google Home, and Amazon Alexa. Tile connects to a home setup over Wi-Fi, with no hub required to control the lights.

LIFX is charging $250 for its Tile Kit, which includes five tiles and a power pack. Pre-orders are available starting today from the LIFX website, with the product set to ship out in November.

Article Link: LIFX Debuts New HomeKit-Enabled 'Tile' Modular Wall Lights

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Meh. I can't get excited about anything Lifx does anymore. Many of us purchased their products while information on their website indicated "HomeKit support coming soon." Well, "soon" turned into many months, and then it turns out only their current lineup supports it. If you bought their products early thinking you would get HomeKit support, you are SOL.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Meh. I can't get excited about anything Lifx does anymore. Many of us purchased their products while information on their website indicated "HomeKit support coming soon." Well, "soon" turned into many months, and then it turns out only their current lineup supports it. If you bought their products early thinking you would get HomeKit support, you are SOL.

Same here... I bought a couple of their lamps around two years ago, after having talked with the support who ensured me that "they are working hard on HomeKit". The recent announcement was a disappointment. The lamps themselves are very impressive color and brightness-wise, but glitches are regular and two out of six lamps are already defective.I think I'll be moving to Phillips once their new kit becomes available...

Reactions: centauratlas

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Same here... I bought a couple of their lamps around two years ago, after having talked with the support who ensured me that "they are working hard on HomeKit". The recent announcement was a disappointment. The lamps themselves are very impressive color and brightness-wise, but glitches are regular and two out of six lamps are already defective.I think I'll be moving to Phillips once their new kit becomes available...
I can’t say I’ve had any technical issues with them. My bulbs (6 of them) have worked pretty flawlessly for me. I just feel like Lifx was deliberately deceptive, and consequently, won’t buy anything else from them.

FWIW, I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi model 3 and installed nodejs and Homebridge on it to see if I could link my bulbs to HomeKit. It’s not optimal but it works surprisingly well. Sure, my wife rolls her eyes when I say “hey Siri, turn off the TV Room lights” but my inner nerd will simply not be denied :D

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
No ZigBee/Z-Wave or other HA system (e.g., SmartThings) support? Not interested--to say nothing of the fact that it's more limited in most ways than its less expensive competitor, the Nanoleaf (except that each "tile" has smaller, addressable zones).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.