Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lighting company LIFX, known for its range of smart lighting products, today announced the LIFX Beam, its latest decorative smart light.

lifxbeam1.jpg

Beam is a set of thin, rectangular lights that are meant to be used for accent lighting. There are six white plastic beam lights per kit, along with a power pack and 1 illuminated corner, which can be used to create "L" shaped designs when attached to a wall.

lifxbeam3.jpg

Like other LIFX lights, the Beam supports 16 million colors along with a range of white shades. There are 10 blended light zones per beam, so each one can light up in a multitude of colors.

Colors can be selected using the LIFX app, and there's also built-in HomeKit support so the Beam can be controlled via Siri and added to Scenes with other HomeKit products. LIFX products connect to a home setup via WiFi and do not require a bridge.

lifxbeam2.jpg

LIFX added HomeKit support to its most recent line of light bulbs in September, and just last week introduced the LIFX Tile, a modular square-shaped accent lighting system.

LIFX Beam can be pre-ordered from the LIFX website for $199.99.

Article Link: LIFX Unveils HomeKit-Compatible Decorative 'Beam' Light Set

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Ya, I love the clean crisp edges and colors of these things, but the price is just insane, especially if you need three or four kits to outline a room completely...

These have got to have huge mark ups on them, or license cost for home kit is INSANE. If that's the case, make a bridge for $59 or something that has the home kit license and then offer the kits much cheaper.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Just figured out that :apple: have broken Homekit remote access somewhere along the line with iOS11, solution is :apple:TV has to be connected on wifi or else feck all works, even to get to that I had to disconnect it from ethernet & manually key a 30-digit passcode as it the :apple:TV didn't recognise the iPhone. Out of sheer frustration I swore a few times at the phone, but hey it's only lights, god help folk with locks, think different? :apple: sure does!:eek:

Reactions: Applebot1

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
looks like a cable management cover with led's inside. Would be easy to make this with those exact things and amazon sell 6 foot led strips for 20$ that include everything and the crappy remote.
Not sure why these are so expensive you can make stuff like that easily.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Well overpriced, don't see them selling much of these. I'd much rather spend €229.99 on a modern lamp(s) for that price than on a pack of 6 30cm light strips.

You could almost say this is an LED light strip with a translucent diffuser to house the strip to achieve that smooth blended colour transition. It'll look like your basic cable trunking when it's turned off, which isn't a pretty site.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I work for a competitor of LIFX, also in Australia. I can tell you, it is not cheap to produce these products, especially as a small company.
The price will come down eventually...

Reactions: ErikGrim

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I would love to see the kind of battery life a light with a built in WiFi router would get.

Perhaps they should drop the mesh function then. My Philips Hue lamp goes for three hours and it's a lot smaller.

Zigbee is used specifically to save power and a battery-operated model should probably not use Wi-Fi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.