Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech's Circle 2, introduced in June, is the second-generation version of its Circle home security camera. This new version features a redesigned body, wired and wire-free versions, accessories that let it be positioned anywhere, and, through a recent update, HomeKit support.

Circle 2 is meant to be used as a home security device and it's ideal for keeping an eye on your house while you're away from home. It's also great for keeping an eye on pets and children, and even communicating with the two-way microphone. Circle 2 connects to a home WiFi network and offers cloud functionality that lets you view video anywhere.

logitechcircle2wired.jpg

I've been using a Logitech Circle camera for two years now sans HomeKit functionality, so I was eager to check out the HomeKit version. This is only the second HomeKit-compatible camera available on the market, and with the new design, the Logi Circle app, and cloud upload ability, the Circle 2 easily beats out the D-Link Omna as the best HomeKit camera you can buy at the moment.

Though Logitech offers both wired and wire-free versions of the Circle 2, HomeKit only works with the wired version because Apple requires an always-on camera connection, and that's not how the wire-free Circle 2 works.

Design and Features

The wired version of the Circle 2 consists of a small palm-sized camera module that attaches to a base with a pivoting neck, allowing the camera to be positioned and rotated into an ideal angle to work with any room setup. The base can be attached to a wall with a wall mount, and the camera module itself is detachable from the base because it can connect to other accessories like a plug or window mount.

circle2design-800x600.jpg

Circle 2 has a white shell around it, and the camera base is also white. It's a simple, attractive design that melds into the decor around it. There's no mistaking this is a camera, though. It has a wide camera lens and an LED light that comes on when it's activated, but that can be turned off for a slightly more discreet look. At the back, there's a 10-ft power cord that needs to be plugged into the wall.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Logitech's Circle 2 Brings HomeKit Compatibility and a New Design

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Can you clarify the advantages of this camera over the D-Link Omna? From what I can gather:
1) Cloud storage (which, for some, the on-board storage of the D-Link might be considered an advantage)
2) Improved mounting flexibility and weatherproofing

Anything else?

Reactions: Stargher

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Can you clarify the advantages of this camera over the D-Link Omna? From what I can gather:
1) Cloud storage (which, for some, the on-board storage of the D-Link might be considered an advantage)
2) Improved mounting flexibility and weatherproofing

Anything else?

It's a lot easier to position because of the flexible head. Omna is tough because it's just a cylindrical body. I will also say that I prefer the Logi Circle app to the Omna app which has been endlessly buggy for me for months. Like so buggy I haven't been able to save video clips. Video clips are also 20 seconds in length so it has some of the same issues as the Circle 2 there, only a little worse. Cuts off too early a lot of the time. App is pretty poor with the video management too, which can be frustrating.

There was just an update that improves the app somewhat, which is great (zoom added finally!). But I still think Circle 2 is the superior option here. I've also had some connectivity problems with Omna -- like sometimes it just won't load. For me, no cloud storage is the biggest issue.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I was thinking of upgrading to this from a Dropcam Pro but after reading your review, I get the sense that there’s not a ton of additional value in upgrading. Homekit would be nice, but not a necessity.

Also, Canary’s latest announcement has me worried that current features could be removed.

F4C4

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
Anyone interested in a home security camera should be aware of what Canary recently did: removed advertised free services forcing customers into their subscription service...

brushlee

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Irvine, CA
Interesting... can you turn on/off camera or put it into private mode using HomeKit automation?
Like from 6 pm to 9 am you do not need to record yourself ;)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Interesting... can you turn on/off camera or put it into private mode using HomeKit automation?
Like from 6 pm to 9 am you do not need to record yourself ;)

Nope. Privacy mode can only be toggled on in the Logi Circle app.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
You should have reviewed the wireless one. I did and it was absolutely useless. You could click the “live feed” button and go make a cup of tea before it actually loaded the stream. 2 way chat? Good luck with that...

This is how companies are able to claim “2 months battery”: the camera is basically off with a trickle of power for the motion sensor. In order for it to actually record or live stream, it has to boot up which takes significant time.

I think I’ll stick to drilling holes and running wires for now!

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
(sigh) So, there is no way to auto-"mute" camera?
Oh - unless I use some outlet plug compatible with HomeKit and just power off darn thing :rolleyes:

That's the exact solution. Plug it into a HomeKit plug. There's no other way to automate a private/off mode.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Thinking of this as a baby monitor. Some absolute requirements:

- it doesn’t make a noise unless required to explicitly
- it doesn’t give off visible light
- it is reliable

Does it meet those requirements?

aidler

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Anyone interested in a home security camera should be aware of what Canary recently did: removed advertised free services forcing customers into their subscription service...

Yes everybody should be aware of that. At least with Logitech the deal (you need a paid subscription) is transparent from the beginning and there is also a lower tier for only 3.99. Of course, nobody knows if Logitech at some point in the future doesn't decide to change the content of their plans but I don't think Logitech as a bigger and more established company has the need to resort to such reprehensible business behavior.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Thinking of this as a baby monitor. Some absolute requirements:

- it doesn’t make a noise unless required to explicitly
- it doesn’t give off visible light
- it is reliable

Does it meet those requirements?

The LED can be turned off, but there is a small red infrared light that comes on when it's in night mode, but it doesn't really put off any light in the room. It is quiet. As for reliability, it's worked well during the time that I've been testing it, but that's only been about two weeks. I think it'd make a decent baby monitor, but get it from Amazon or Best Buy where there's an easy return policy in case it doesn't work out for you.

Reactions: robinp and Corrode

Bigjet

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
No local storage = no sale
Everyone considering a Logitech buy should know that an earlier security camera system that wears the Logitech brand, was notorious for simply dying for no apparent reason. I sent $1000 for an interior, and 3 exterior cameras, which all crapped out within a bit over a year. Many others had the same experience, and Logitech left everyone in the lurch. No support for a defective product, just tough nuts to everyone who laid down significant bucks for what should have been a supported product.

Be wary with Logitech. Not a stand up company in my humble opinion.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
But isn't "local storage only" means if the burgler steal the camera, all the evidence is gone?
Local can still mean storing on the network, which means you have a computer somewhere in the house that actually stores the footage (and then have that upload to your own online backup system.)

The problem I see with all these "cloud" connected cameras...is what happens when the product fails to gain marketshare, then the company decides the service is no longer worth running? You end up with a bunch of bricked devices that can't do anything, unless someone hacks the firmware to make them generic IP cams.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I cannot find anywhere that tells me if the microphone function when recording video can be switched off.

If I mount this on a window to record activity outside I do not want it recording all audio inside the house.

Nowhere does it say if it has this functionality or not, including many reviews!

Thanks in advance.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I cannot find anywhere that tells me if the microphone function when recording video can be switched off.

If I mount this on a window to record activity outside I do not want it recording all audio inside the house.

Nowhere does it say if it has this functionality or not, including many reviews!

Thanks in advance.

In the Logi Circle app, go to:
SETTINGS - MORE SETTINGS - MICROPHONE - OFF (other options are MID and HIGH)

Reactions: Squuiid

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
I have been using two of these and two replacements cams for a while now.

Do you notice a mechanical noise inside the camera when you put it to your ear? Also, is this noise noticeable on the live feed when mic is set to mid or high?

When watching recordings or live feeds I constantly have a noticeable sound in the background. Shouldn’t the camera be dead silent? I find it annoying, the mics of the cam are picking up on the mechanical noise inside... I can only conclude it is normal as two replacement cameras exhibit the same behaviour.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Does Logitech offer an Apple TV app for the camera like Nest? I want to get rid of nest and switch but I need an Apple TV app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.