Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new iPad Air and fifth-generation iPad mini both work with the Apple Pencil, but are limited to the first-generation Apple Pencil rather than the second-generation model, which only works with 2018 iPad Pros.

If you're looking for a more affordable alternative, though, it turns out both new iPad models are compatible with the Logitech Crayon, an Apple Pencil-like stylus that previously was only compatible with the sixth-generation iPad.

logitechcrayoninhand-800x450.jpg

Apple updated its online store listing for the Crayon following the launch of the new iPad models, noting compatibility with both.

logitechcrayonprotection-800x450.jpg

Priced at $70, the Crayon is a lower-cost alternative to the Apple Pencil that works in the same way. It features a slim aluminum body and Pencil-like tip, with palm rejection and the same latency and tilt that you get with the Apple Pencil.

It does not, however, feature pressure sensitivity support, so that's one feature you'll miss out on choosing the Crayon over the Apple Pencil.

logitechcrayontip-800x450.jpg

Logitech designed the Crayon for students (and schools can buy it for just $50), so it has a flat surface to prevent rolling, a tethered rubber end cap, a grip that's meant to be comfortable for small hands, and it's durable enough to withstand drops of up to four feet.

logitechcrayoncharging-800x450.jpg

The Crayon charges using a built-in Lightning port, so you can use a standard Lightning cable to charge it up. The battery lasts for approximately 7 and a half hours before needing to be recharged. No Bluetooth pairing is needed to connect the Crayon to an iPad - it works automatically.

logitechcrayondesign-800x450.jpg

Logitech's Crayon is available from the Apple online store and in Apple retail stores.

Article Link: Logitech Crayon Compatible With New iPad Air and iPad Mini

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
sure its ugly, but does it work as well? I suppose I need to read reviews to find out lol

meekgeek

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2008
This doesn't have pressure sensitivity.

Apple Pencil users: How critical is pressure sensitivity in the apps that you use?

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
This doesn't have pressure sensitivity.

Apple Pencil users: How critical is pressure sensitivity in the apps that you use?

It's probably most important for things like shading, or sketching. If you're using the pencil for mostly note taking it's not that important.

Reactions: Agit21

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I bought one for my elderly mom who had upgraded to a 2018 iPad. I use the Apple Pencil, but I gave it a bit of an extended test and it works great. If I didn't already have the Pencil, I wouldn't have any problem using the Crayon instead. If I replace my Mini 4 with a Mini 5, I just might buy the Crayon so that I can easily switch between the 2018 iPad and Mini 5 without having to re-pair.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's been about half a year since the Pencil 2 came out and I can't see that anybody has figured out what is different about the technology. Why are the Pencil and Pencil 2 incompatible? Is it a technology in the screen? If it's in the Pencil itself, then why not making them backwards compatible? This is getting confusing figuring out which Pencil (or Crayon) works with iPad. Apple has always been about simplicity so this is very unlike them.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
It's been about half a year since the Pencil 2 came out and I can't see that anybody has figured out what is different about the technology. Why are the Pencil and Pencil 2 incompatible? Is it a technology in the screen? If it's in the Pencil itself, then why not making them backwards compatible? This is getting confusing figuring out which Pencil (or Crayon) works with iPad. Apple has always been about simplicity so this is very unlike them.

It was my understanding that the lower latency was based on the 120hz refresh rate on the new iPads Pro... that bears out, since these new iPads lack that feature & are incompatible.

Reactions: ipedro

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA

There's a couple of things I think going on here.

First, as mentioned above I think the refresh rate of the Pro screens has something to do with it. Additionally the new Pencil has no way of charging without the magnetic charging offered by the Pros so they would have had to add those components and change the form factor of these new iPad to allow this to happen.

With all that said I don't understand why the old pencil can't work on the new iPad Pros. There shouldn't be any real reason why it couldn't determine that you're using a V.1 pencil and adjust the input as need.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I bought one for my elderly mom who had upgraded to a 2018 iPad. I use the Apple Pencil, but I gave it a bit of an extended test and it works great. If I didn't already have the Pencil, I wouldn't have any problem using the Crayon instead. If I replace my Mini 4 with a Mini 5, I just might buy the Crayon so that I can easily switch between the 2018 iPad and Mini 5 without having to re-pair.

I have a 2018 iPad of my own and a 2018 iPad issued by work. As I take notes but don't draw, I gave away my Apple Pencil to a family member and ended up getting a logitech crayon for this very reason. Turn it on, it just works with both ipads. I can use both side by side and it writes on both.

I now have a crayon I leave at work and a crayon for home.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.