Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech often works with Apple to introduce new accessories for Apple devices, and in early August, Logitech announced its latest product designed in collaboration with Apple, the new POWERED wireless charging stand for iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

POWERED is an upright charging stand able to charge a compatible iPhone in either horizontal or landscape orientation. Made from a thick, heavy plastic material with a rubber coating to add grip, the POWERED has a horizontal rectangular back supported by a sturdy, angled base that offers just the right amount of stability.

logitechwirelesschargerdesign-800x600.jpg

There are four feet on the base, and the same grippy material coats the bottom, so it stays secure on a desk when in use. The base is similar in size to your standard flat wireless charger, and because it's more of a square shape, it doesn't take up as much room on a desk or nightstand as a typical round wireless charger.

A small circular LED at the top of the POWERED lights up to let you know when an iPhone is in the correct position to charge, but a benefit to an upright charger is that it's almost impossible to put the iPhone in the wrong spot. With flat chargers, you sometimes need to shift the iPhone around to get the wireless coil in the charger lined up with the charging mechanism in the iPhone, but vertical stands like the POWERED eliminate that problem.

logitechwirelesschargerback-800x600.jpg

While the upright back of the charger looks like it might be adjustable due to the design, it's not. It holds the iPhone at a single angle that's tilted back slightly, which seems to be an ideal angle for glancing over at the time or watching a video. Because the sides of the base come up around the iPhone in a "U" shape, it always feels secure in the charger when it's in a vertical position.

logitechwirelesschargerside-800x600.jpg

The POWERED can also be used for charging in landscape orientation if you want to watch videos, which is handy, but it does feel less secure and prone to toppling over if bumped.

I used the POWERED with an iPhone X, but it's sized to work with the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus too. With the iPhone X and iPhone 8, there's about a fourth of an inch of space at the sides, while the iPhone 8 Plus is a tighter fit.

logitechwirelesschargerfrontphone-800x600.jpg

Rumors suggest all three of Apple's upcoming 2018 iPhones will feature wireless charging, and this charging stand will work with them. The largest of the three devices (the 6.5-inch OLED) is similar in size to an iPhone 8 Plus, which means it will fit in the POWERED.

logitechwirelesschargerlandscape-800x600.jpg

Design wise, the POWERED from Logitech is similar to Belkin's Boost Up Wireless Charging Stand, but it has a somewhat smaller bottom base and a rectangular back rather than a circular back. Both hold the iPhone securely and at an ideal angle for video watching, so choosing one over another is just a matter of picking your favorite design.

logitechbelkin-800x600.jpg

There is a built-in 1.5-meter cord installed in the POWERED, and Logitech includes a power adapter similar in size to an iPad power adapter. Designed specifically for Apple devices, POWERED offers the faster 7.5W charging available to Apple iPhones.

logitechwirelesschargercord2-800x600.jpg

Depending on external factors like temperature, 7.5W charging isn't always much faster than 5W charging, but there's usually enough of a difference that it's worth choosing a 7.5W charger over a 5W charger.

logitechwirelesschargerportrait-800x600.jpg

To test the POWERED, I drained the battery of my iPhone X to 1 percent and then left it on the charger for an hour in airplane mode. In that time, it charged up to 36 percent, which is the same general charging level that I've seen with other 7.5W chargers using the same test. During the winter, I've seen charging speeds up to about 46 percent with 7.5W chargers, but in summertime temperatures in my office (74 to 75 degrees), ~35 to 40 percent is the norm.

Logitech calls the POWERED the first wireless charger "truly worthy of iPhone" presumably because of the hassle-free U-shaped vertical design, but as far as charging speed goes, it's equivalent to other 7.5W charging options.

Bottom Line

I have zero complaints about the POWERED from Logitech, aside from the price tag. It's a nice charger that has all of the features I could ask for: drop and go functionality that prevents me from having to hunt for the coil, portrait and landscape orientation so my iPhone can sit upright, 7.5W charging speeds, and a sturdy base.

Unfortunately, it's priced at $70, which is expensive and can be hard to justify when there are so many wireless charging options on Amazon that are in the $20 to $40 range.

The POWERED and the similar Belkin Boost Wireless Charging Stand are the best wireless charging accessories that I've used, though, and I do think it can be worth shelling out extra money to get a higher quality stand.

With many of the flat wireless charging pads, I have to shift my iPhone around to get it in just the right spot for charging. I've run into instances where I think the iPhone is charging and it's not, or it starts charging and then gets bumped and knocked out of the proper position, something that's impossible with the POWERED because the U-shaped cradle guides iPhone placement.

If you have similar issues with flat wireless chargers, the POWERED may be worth checking out because it solves a lot of the pain points that come with wireless charging.

How to Buy

Logitech's POWERED wireless charging stand can be purchased from the Logitech website or from Apple.com for $69.99.

Note: Logitech provided MacRumors with a POWERED wireless charging stand for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received. MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Logitech. When you click a Logitech link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Review: Logitech's $70 'POWERED' 7.5W Wireless Charging Stand Offers a Hassle-Free Upright Design

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I don’t really see the benefit of this over, say, the Elevation Dock. It’s in the same position but at a higher price and half of the charging speed, and you’re still dealing with a desktop unit. Paying $70 so I can just pick it up or dock it a fraction of a second quicker? Don’t get me wrong. I like the idea of wireless charging, but until it reaches full speed, it’s just a solution looking for a problem.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I was very excited about wireless charging...until I got an iPhone X and a wireless charger. It truly is a novelty with only downsides in practical applications.

Quick charging is far more useful. Love using my iPad charger to charge up my X super fast.

What downsides? I ask because I haven’t yet upgraded and was looking forward to wireless charging (and this dock).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I was very excited about wireless charging...until I got an iPhone X and a wireless charger. It truly is a novelty with only downsides in practical applications.

Quick charging is far more useful. Love using my iPad charger to charge up my X super fast.
Depends on when and how you charge the phone.

My house has several wireless chargers, on the kitchen countertop, on the livingroom table that has keys and HomePod, and on to the nightstand.

Being able to just place the phone on these charging pads significantly reduces the friction of having to fiddle with the Lightning cable. We also went to many Lightning cables due to fraying, so no more of that.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
how do they justify 70.00 thats crazy...

19.95 on amazon all day for the same kind of concept- i have 2 one at home and one at the office. total of 40.00

these will never sell at 70.00

Reactions: 69Mustang

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
I had one in my hand today. It felt good and the price is ok. I don't use wireless charging but if I did I would seriously consider this stand.

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
What downsides? I ask because I haven’t yet upgraded and was looking forward to wireless charging (and this dock).
Very easy to place wrong or bump off the pad, certain cases will prevent the charging from working. I use a magnetic mount in my car and the small metal plate on my iPhone prevents charging as well. I had several mornings where I woke up to a dead phone and just got sick of it and went back to a normal charger - which charges faster and is more dependable anyways.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Anker and Ravpower sells theirs at $50 and have discounts all the time.
What is Logitech's marketing people thinking?
Third party Apple vendors follow Apple, the sky's the limit.
Sooner people speak with their wallet the sooner more reasonable prices become available.

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
Depends on when and how you charge the phone.

My house has several wireless chargers, on the kitchen countertop, on the livingroom table that has keys and HomePod, and on to the nightstand.

Being able to just place the phone on these charging pads significantly reduces the friction of having to fiddle with the Lightning cable. We also went to many Lightning cables due to fraying, so no more of that.
I’ve honestly never thought plugging in a lightning cable was a difficult process, but waking up in the morning and grabbing my phone off the wireless charger only to realize it got bumped or moved slightly off the mat and is at 6% at the start of my day certainly is difficult.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Forget the price,..its so damn ugy!! It looks like a fischer price piece of plastic toy.!!!

And no black option?

No thanks, I'll be getting a black anodised wireless charger at half the price!!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

I mean its really only meant for bedside convenience. I love my wireless chargers for the bed I dont need fast charging. I have a stand wireless charger for the kitchen too. I dont expect fast charging just a place to put my phone. Novelty? not to me

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I will admit, I think this is one area that Apple has fallen short of.

They are making a charging mat. That's great.
But, personally they also need to make an upright charging mat/stand also, perhaps something along the lines of these items, so you can have your phone by the side of your bed, but still visible, whilst charging, or on your desk, watching some youtube, whilst charging.

Lying flat, whilst easy to put multiple items on, is a bit limiting.

Hopefully, perhaps after the mat is out, perhaps another year or two later they will offer a upright surface.
If it's grippy enough plastic/rubber then, perhaps the watch and iphone end could just lay against it without slipping off.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I have mixed feelings about Logitech. I find their products feel cheap, but as long as you don't need any software they remain functional. Anker customer support is more what an Apple user would expect. Support from Logitech is faster than, but less productive than Valve.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Very easy to place wrong or bump off the pad, certain cases will prevent the charging from working. I use a magnetic mount in my car and the small metal plate on my iPhone prevents charging as well. I had several mornings where I woke up to a dead phone and just got sick of it and went back to a normal charger - which charges faster and is more dependable anyways.
Being very easy to bump off will depend on your placement and likely the charger being used too. That and it’s the fault of whoever is bumping the device surely. A model like the one in this article would probably be pretty safe from accidental bumps I imagine.

As for it not working well because you have a metallic plate stuck to the back of your phone, I’m not surprised. Probably a bit unrealistic for it to work in such a scenario. It’s common knowledge there shouldn’t be metallic such things in the vicinity when wireless charging.

I think wireless works great in places. At my desk at work for example where I’m frequently up and down. Much easier to just plonk my phone in the charging pad and the model I have isn’t overly fussy about precise placement. Obviously the tech isn’t suited for people draining the device to 0% and then needing to get back to 100% as soon as possible. Given how well my iPhone X holds battery though it’s a nice convenient way to keep the battery up while I’m at work or what ever where I otherwise probably wouldn’t have plugged in at all (I get through most days with 50% remaining anyway).

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I will admit, I think this is one area that Apple has fallen short of.

They are making a charging mat. That's great.
But, personally they also need to make an upright charging mat/stand also, perhaps something along the lines of these items, so you can have your phone by the side of your bed, but still visible, whilst charging, or on your desk, watching some youtube, whilst charging.

Lying flat, whilst easy to put multiple items on, is a bit limiting.

Hopefully, perhaps after the mat is out, perhaps another year or two later they will offer a upright surface.
If it's grippy enough plastic/rubber then, perhaps the watch and iphone end could just lay against it without slipping off.
true. I see no point in flat mats for my uses.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009

Don't forget, quick charging depreciates your battery capacity even faster. I would only use it if was constantly on the go.

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Sorry, but this looks like some health care device. A real cradle for your iPhone.

Also using an Amazon charging stand with mutliple coils here. 5W but less than 20 bucks and perfect for overnight charging.

MrNicholas

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Has anyone used this with a Speck Presidio Grip? I have a new Xs MAX and I want to make sure I can charge with the Speck case on it. Thanks!

Last edited:

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Being very easy to bump off will depend on your placement and likely the charger being used too. That and it’s the fault of whoever is bumping the device surely. A model like the one in this article would probably be pretty safe from accidental bumps I imagine.

As for it not working well because you have a metallic plate stuck to the back of your phone, I’m not surprised. Probably a bit unrealistic for it to work in such a scenario. It’s common knowledge there shouldn’t be metallic such things in the vicinity when wireless charging.

I think wireless works great in places. At my desk at work for example where I’m frequently up and down. Much easier to just plonk my phone in the charging pad and the model I have isn’t overly fussy about precise placement. Obviously the tech isn’t suited for people draining the device to 0% and then needing to get back to 100% as soon as possible. Given how well my iPhone X holds battery though it’s a nice convenient way to keep the battery up while I’m at work or what ever where I otherwise probably wouldn’t have plugged in at all (I get through most days with 50% remaining anyway).
[doublepost=1553995879][/doublepost]I've been using these little guys for several years now. Even the Anker (good as it is) is a good deal more expensive than perfectly okay ones you can pick up on Amazon. And if you are using this to park your iPhone bedside while asleep chances are that charging speed isn't a very important issue for you. At this price I bet that Logitech is going to wind up with several warehouses full of unsold ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.