Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617media

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
I honestly wish I never updated to 10.6 cause I've gained nothing out of it but frustration and huge setbacks.

Someone PLEASE help me solve this.

Originally I had directly cloned my black mb running 10.5 to my new 13 inch unibody MBP that had a new blank internal HD put in. I thought it worked perfectly, but I guess because of driver issues, it would freeze up a lot so everyone told me I needed a fresh install.

Before I got rid of the old macbook, I made a time machine backup to a WD external, as well as a carbon copy backup (saved a spareimage).

Sooo I bought a copy of Snow Leopard, installed it on the new MBP and during installation, I tried to run a restore from time machine but it said because the time machine backup was 10.5, I couldn't do it. It said the only way to do it was to continue with the install and then from the desktop run Migration Assistant. When I try that it recognizes my original backup but what's confusing is that after 'calculating' my backup is only 200GB, when I am 100% positive it is around 236GB. I know this also because if I go into the actual time machine folder of my backup and right click it, it says 236GB. The same is true if I right click the sparseimage for info size......

I even tried running the Migration assistant anyways once but half my applications weren't working and stuff was missing.

So please what do I do?

I can't seem to do anything with the SparseImage, when I scan it in disk utility it says "Unable to scan Macintosh HD backup.sparseimage." (Resource temporarily unavailable.)

And when I run time machine normally it stops part way and says some error.

I will seriously paypal someone money to help me figure this out thanks.

617media

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
here's what I mean about the migration assistant.... only shows that it adds up to 200GB

screenshot20100730at444.png

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I didn't know Migration Assistant allows you to copy programs? I thought only CCC does that. The trouble as I see it, is that you're trying to restore from an older build of the OS. So things are going to break.

If I were you I'd be glad that I've got a clean backup of everything. Just do a fresh install. Apply all the updates. Then start manually copying your files over and install your apps from Disc. You'll have a smoother ride of it in the long run. :)

617media

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
wow they completely lied to me at the Apple store then....

ALSO

what's with Final Cut Pro and 10.6? When I run FCP studio 5 dmg it won't even start installing. Is it just the quicktime issue or is there more to it?

See the issue is I way relying on having my system like it was before.... I have projects in FCP 5 that still need finishing.... this is all so ****ed.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
wow they completely lied to me at the Apple store then....

ALSO

what's with Final Cut Pro and 10.6? When I run FCP studio 5 dmg it won't even start installing. Is it just the quicktime issue or is there more to it?

See the issue is I way relying on having my system like it was before.... I have projects in FCP 5 that still need finishing.... this is all so ****ed.

In that case install 10.5, it's a solid OS. You should be able to run all the newest software from 1.5.8. When you have time and no pressing deadlines upgrade to 10.6.

617media

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
yeah you're right.... the only problem is my 10.5 disk is long gone.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
yeah you're right.... the only problem is my 10.5 disk is long gone.

Well I hate to condone any sort of theft, but if you have all ready paid for the (technically free) software, I'm SURE you can find a copy floating around somewhere in the tubes of the internet.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Ok wow did 10.5 come with any 13" uMBP? Why not use the restore disks?

As far as getting your data back, i'd just use my old school windows techniques

which were to restore the use space files (Macintosh HD/Users/~). As far as applications those would be best reinstalled, especially behemoths like Final Cut Pro.

Which version of 10.6 are you using? 10.6? 10.6.4?

617media

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Ok wow did 10.5 come with any 13" uMBP? Why not use the restore disks?

As far as getting your data back, i'd just use my old school windows techniques

which were to restore the use space files (Macintosh HD/Users/~). As far as applications those would be best reinstalled, especially behemoths like Final Cut Pro.

Which version of 10.6 are you using? 10.6? 10.6.4?

i bought it off a friend used so it just came with the computer and 10.6 already installed. But i wanted a bigger internal HD so i put in a new one and yes, actually purchased a copy of SL

it says 10.6.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.