Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macos-finder-icon-250x235.jpg
Stationery Pad is a handy way to nix a step in your workflow if you regularly use document templates on your Mac. The long-standing Finder feature essentially tells a file's parent application to open a copy of it by default, ensuring that the original file remains unedited.

Stationery Pad doesn't get much attention these days, but it's a neat alternative to repeatedly editing templates and using the "Save As..." command, which can lead to overwriting the original file if you're not too careful.

Almost any file type can be defined as a template with Stationery Pad - it could be used to streamline common Photoshop jobs, create skeleton HTML/CSS files, or help with Word document invoicing. To make use of Stationery Pad, create the file you want to use as a template, then follow the steps below.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Create File Templates on Your Mac With Finder's Stationery Pad Feature

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
It's a something that's been there for ages (even before OS X if I remember correctly) but I guess it's a feature most aren't aware of – I don't ever use it myself, even tough it might be a good idea sometimes. :)

Reactions: CreatorCode

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Pretty useful. I tend to use the same grid template file in Photoshop for most of my web designs so this will save me from accidentally overwriting the template!

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
It's a something that's been there for ages (even before OS X if I remember correctly) but I guess it's a feature most aren't aware of – I don't ever use it myself, even tough it might be a good idea sometimes. :)

Definitely before OS X.

Possibly before System 7, but definitely added in some 7.x version. One of the interesting long-standing Mac features.

FlyersPh9

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
This is awesome, I will definitely use this!

What if I create a stationary pad file in a cloud like Dropbox and share the file with a Windows user? Can they open it? Is it still a non-overwritable template file for Windows users?

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
Definitely before OS X.

Possibly before System 7, but definitely added in some 7.x version. One of the interesting long-standing Mac features.

The original concept is actually a relic of the Lisa. The original idea behind the Lisa was that users would create files by tearing off the appropriate type of Stationery (Word processing, spreadsheet, drawing) and then start editing it. None of this "launching apps" business like today.

The ability to designate any file as a Stationery Pad, though, was a System 7 feature, I'm pretty sure.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
The original concept is actually a relic of the Lisa. The original idea behind the Lisa was that users would create files by tearing off the appropriate type of Stationery (Word processing, spreadsheet, drawing) and then start editing it. None of this "launching apps" business like today.

The ability to designate any file as a Stationery Pad, though, was a System 7 feature, I'm pretty sure.

Username checks out.
[doublepost=1525878320][/doublepost]
This is awesome, I will definitely use this!

What if I create a stationary pad file in a cloud like Dropbox and share the file with a Windows user? Can they open it?

It probably opens as a regular file to them.

Is it still a non-overwritable template file for Windows users?

Most likely not, no. This is a Mac-specific feature.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I can honestly say I would’ve never known about this. I spent nearly my entire life with Windows and it’s fun to discover little things this OS can do.

Serge88

macrumors member
May 5, 2008
A bug ?

It doesn't work if I put the template on the docker and click on the icon, it open the template, remove the Stationary pad and save on the original file. :(

Serge

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Astonishing that I have been using OS X for 15 years+ and never noticed or knew about this although I use the "Get Info" panel a lot. Sometimes I feel software creators hurt themselves by not featuring what their software is capable off.

Another tip is that your mac can read articles for you if you highlight it and click alt+esc, how many people know about this.

Reactions: ILikeAllOS

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I have been opening docs and “save as” daily and sometimes over-riding a file when making changes. Never seen or noticed this option. This is Great!!!! Wish I knew this years back.

I need to read a manual or something on MacOS to discover more handy options that I don't currently know..

Learn something new every day!

Thanks for the tip!

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Whoever came up with the idea to write these "how to" Mac articles starting a few months ago or so is a genius!
So many cool tips I've learned that otherwise never knew about. :)

sophiacris

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Don t be upset The availability of no credit check loans proves to get an ideal financial provision for you. With the help of the loans it find a way to procure instant money backing occasionally of urgency without the problem,low interest personal loans suitable for your Preferences and needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.