Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JudgeKenny

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hi guys...

I've only had my MBA since Christmas and this is my first Mac, so I'm still trying to figure out some things:

1) I downloaded Handbrake from the web and it placed the app icon on my desktop and I then dragged it to my Applications folder, in Finder. However, when I bring up Launchpad it's not showing up there. The only applications that do show up there (aside from the preinstalled ones) are the ones I downloaded directly from the Mac AppStore. -- Is there a way to make the Handbrake app show up in Launchpad along with the rest?

2) Also, I was one of the few lucky people who was able to download the original Handy Light iPhone app while it was available in the AppStore. I can successfully share my 3G network with my Mac and pull up web pages but I notice that sites that allow webcam sharing don't work. Also, iChat, AIM, MSN Messenger...none of those connect to the internet, apparently. -- Anyone else who uses Handy Light experience this, or know of a way to fix this issue?

3) Another thing I can't figure out is how to remove/hide/disable the little iChat icon on the top menu bar, and it's driving me nuts! I've noticed that quitting iChat doesn't make it go away. -- Is there a way to get rid of it?

screenshot20120121at124.jpg

If anyone can help with any of these issues, it will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

~Katie~

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
3) Another thing I can't figure out is how to remove/hide/disable the little iChat icon on the top menu bar, and it's driving me nuts! I've noticed that quitting iChat doesn't make it go away. -- Is there a way to get rid of it?
Hold the Command key and drag it off. Or go to iChat > Preferences > General > Show status in menu bar (uncheck)

halledise

macrumors 68000
Hi guys...

1) I downloaded Handbrake from the web and it placed the app icon on my desktop and I then dragged it to my Applications folder, in Finder. However, when I bring up Launchpad it's not showing up there. The only applications that do show up there (aside from the preinstalled ones) are the ones I downloaded directly from the Mac AppStore. -- Is there a way to make the Handbrake app show up in Launchpad along with the rest?

you may have not dragged the actual application to your applications folder, just a shortcut (alias).
spotlight 'Handbrake'.
tap 'Show All in Finder'.
then have a looky at where the famous 'cocktail and pineapple' application resides.
if it's anywhere there than the Applications Folder, take it there and you should end up with something like this on your 2nd 'page'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-21 at 5.16.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-21 at 5.16.15 PM.png
    943.4 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.