Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
macosx only?

i assume by that they mean macosx and windows....that would be cool if it went back to mac only. but i doubt it seriously.

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
already out for windows for a few months now

This isn't a rant... just a reply to gelbin.

Cubase SX has been out since early summer for the PC. So no, they don't show signs of leaving the PC crowd. There's already an update for the PC version!

From what I've pieced together in various forums and news items, ONE of the reasons that SX took a while to get out the door was the release of 10.2, what with the introduction of the MIDI device app and whatever other audio changes came with it. I'm just glad it's finally coming out. I've been dying to record again (a hobby), and now it's time to update Cubase 4, which didn't work in Classic. Yes, 4... I didn't have the money for 5.

-Alex

DavidRavenMoon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2002
Staten Island, NY
Originally posted by nickmcghie
I wonder how they addressed the (supposedly) horrible audio-mangament properties of Mac OS X.

What's so horrible about audio in OS X? Although I do most of my audio in OS 9 (in CubaseVST), I do run Deck, Peak, Spark and a few other audio apps in OS X. I find them to run better in OS X, and Jaguar has the very cool Audio MIDI Setup (which admittedly has a few rough edges).

I use an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, and the latency (time it takes to hear a sound routed through the system) is about 2 ms. I usually directly monitor when recording, but when I do monitor through the app, the delay is hardly noticeable. Same with MIDI. I was trying out an app called SimpleSynth, playing it from my Oberheim Matrix 6 patched into the AP 2496, and it was just like playing the synth.

I think OS X is going to be a great platform for pro audio.

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon

What's so horrible about audio in OS X? Although I do most of my audio in OS 9 (in CubaseVST), I do run Deck, Peak, Spark and a few other audio apps in OS X. I find them to run better in OS X, and Jaguar has the very cool Audio MIDI Setup (which admittedly has a few rough edges).

I use an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, and the latency (time it takes to hear a sound routed through the system) is about 2 ms. I usually directly monitor when recording, but when I do monitor through the app, the delay is hardly noticeable. Same with MIDI. I was trying out an app called SimpleSynth, playing it from my Oberheim Matrix 6 patched into the AP 2496, and it was just like playing the synth.

I think OS X is going to be a great platform for pro audio.

Thats good to hear... I don't actually do much audio work on my Mac, but I've heard many horror stories about the supposedly terrible audio features of OS X and was concerned. But if what you've just said is true, then I have no more fears :)

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
Not only is OS X GOOD, but...

...according to this study, it's the BEST when it comes to latency.

Disclaimer: I am not a music professional.

However, it seems to me the only problem with Mac OS X and music right now is the lack of software.

This story reports about a study done by the Peabody Institute which concluded that Mac OS X was the best OS ever in terms of latency through its CoreAudio system.

Two Linux setups performed better in the testing than OS X when the machines were idle, but when the machines were placed under a heavy load, the OS X machine did not significantly decrease in performance.

Now, switching gears: I also remember press quotes from Bias claiming that there would be possibilities to do things never before possible. When they originally released Peak DV in 2001, they talked about being able to have Peak and Deck running simultaneously on different channels with absolutely no performance loss in either program.

Again, I'm not a music professional, so I may be remembering that wrong.

At any rate, when things become available, and developers begin to be able to exploit X, rather than just 'get their stuff up and running' on X, I think it's going to be, like, 10x better than any OS has ever been for Audio production.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
LOL

Originally posted by nickmcghie
I wonder how they addressed the (supposedly) horrible audio-mangament properties of Mac OS X.

Where in the world did you hear that?

Logic X users report some songs using up %40 percent less CPU power. Runs stable and their just waiting for favorite VST's to be supported in Audio Unit format. Whoever gave you this advice obviously hasn't been paying attention.

Thats good to hear... I don't actually do much audio work on my Mac, but I've heard many horror stories about the supposedly terrible audio features of OS X and was concerned. But if what you've just said is true, then I have no more fears

Heheh don't worry. Not many people know about OSX's Audi Features. Check out http://www.osxaudio.com for the full skinny.

What makes OSX Audio special is the tight integration.

ASIO is no longer needed because the CoreAudio architecture allows low level access for Midi, Audio Units and 24bit 96k Audio Multichannel. There are no channel limits.

Drivers writen using the I/O Kit allow for more devices to utilize internal or external hardware.

As a previous poster mentioned latency is very low..

Rememer Rolands cheesy midi sounds. They've been replaced by better instruments and support for Downloadable Sounds DLS.

Audio Units support better routing for plugins. Want to have a plugin do a mono -stereo or even 5.1 multichannel...program it..there's no real limitation.

Apple has fully documented how to easily create Audio Unit hosts unlike Steinberg and VST(trial and error) Therefore you might see simply apps like iTunes even supporting Audio Unit plugins.

OMS is no longer needed(the creator Doug Wyatt has been working for Apple for years now) as the Midi implementation is more stable and systemwide.

Look for a bunch of apps coming soon MOTU Digital Performer should be out the end of this year as well if not much sooner

gernb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2002
all i know, is that i've heard the audio engine in OS X doesn't create a clean signal. doesn't matter what apps or plugs are available...if the OS can't deliver a signal without pops and garbage on playback, or if you can't record tracks without clicks and pops what good is any of it.

there are discussions about these problems in apple's knowledgebase. check it out before you leap.

if you are truly attempting to do proaudio...or just stuff that people will actually want to listen to, OS 9 may still be the safest place.

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Originally posted by gernb
all i know, is that i've heard the audio engine in OS X doesn't create a clean signal. doesn't matter what apps or plugs are available...if the OS can't deliver a signal without pops and garbage on playback, or if you can't record tracks without clicks and pops what good is any of it.

This is not true.

DavidRavenMoon

macrumors regular
May 11, 2002
Staten Island, NY

Maybe with a USB audio interface, but then USB audio isn't that great to start with.

I've been recording with OS X in various forms since 10.0, and I have always gotten great sound using a PCI sound card.

If people are having problems, it's their setup, not CoreAudio.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The clicks and pops are most definitely

Centered around using USB. I don't think that Apple should ignore this but I agree with David. USB is not the best choice for Audio.

Hopefully Firewire becomes more prevalent.

nickgold

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2001
Let's hope

that the industry brings on mLan one of these days! USB audio has always seemed to have problems of one sort or another.

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL

there are discussions about these problems in apple's knowledgebase. check it out before you leap.

if you are truly attempting to do proaudio...or just stuff that people will actually want to listen to, OS 9 may still be the safest place.

It's starting to sound like the misinformation that came from the AtariST dealers about the Amiga's MIDI not clocking properly! :)

mum

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
I've been using M-Audio Quattro (USB interface) on Logic without any problems... 24 bits, 4 channels — I guess it's an exception... I do wish it was firewire, though, so I'd have that USB port for a mouse when recording on my laptop.

twelve

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
i use the cheapest usb device ( the iMic 24 a/d) with os 10.2 and have not had any problems so far. no pops or clicks. i have heard problems with the motu interface. apparently the beta drivers are crap.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
The englisch version of Cubase SX is really shipping since October 10th.

It should be available in stores in a couple of days. The german version will follow soon.

:)

groovebuster

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Just for the record...

Just for the record, I am a music producer, and I must say: OS 10.2 is the BEST OS EVER for music production. Whoever says otherwise is either a) experiencing some odd conflict most aren't, or b) totally retarded. The internal midi and audio routing is wonderful, and will be better exploited VERY VERY soon. No more need fore Rewire.

I unfortunately am still using OS 9 at the moment because I need to run Reaktor, but other wise I definitely would run 10.2 (I the day it came out up until last week and it was perfection... just... perfection without Reaktor). :)

So... yeah 10.2 ROCKS for audio, has the best support for audio producer EVER, etcetcetc.

Stop the vicious lies! hehe

Pepzhez

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
USB audio is a huge problem in OS X - all versions, and, no, 10.2.x still hasn't addressed the problem.

USB's bandwidth can easily handle a stereo high resolution signal (96 kHz, 24 bits). Now you can argue all you want about USB not being the ideal means to deal with audio, but the fact remains that the industry (including Apple) has pushed and promoted USB audio. Now if these USB audio devices - and there are many of them - worked perfectly fine in OS 9 (and Windows, for that matter), are you surprised that so many people are ticked off that they cannot even get a functional level of performance from them under OS X? Why Apple can't get their act together here is a mystery to me, but then they don't seem to be trying to either.

Firewire is a much better solution, yes, but there are relatively few audio devices on the market using this implementation, unfortunately (and the few that do exist are in the upper echelon of the price bracket).

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Pepzhez
USB audio is a huge problem in OS X - all versions, and, no, 10.2.x still hasn't addressed the problem.

USB's bandwidth can easily handle a stereo high resolution signal (96 kHz, 24 bits). Now you can argue all you want about USB not being the ideal means to deal with audio, but the fact remains that the industry (including Apple) has pushed and promoted USB audio. Now if these USB audio devices - and there are many of them - worked perfectly fine in OS 9 (and Windows, for that matter), are you surprised that so many people are ticked off that they cannot even get a functional level of performance from them under OS X? Why Apple can't get their act together here is a mystery to me, but then they don't seem to be trying to either.

Firewire is a much better solution, yes, but there are relatively few audio devices on the market using this implementation, unfortunately (and the few that do exist are in the upper echelon of the price bracket).
Never used audio in OS X, but I've heard there are some problems with USB. I also heard that it's the manufactures issue and not Apples. I'd imagine proper drives would fix this issue? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I want to learn more about OS X audio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.