Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Hi everyone, a few weeks ago I bought a new ssd for my Mac pro 5,1. I was replacing my 120 owc drive. I took the new 240gb and put ML on it and then re installed WIn 7 on my 120 and placed it in my optical drive bay.

I have been noticing that it takes a long time to boot into windows. It hangs on the a black screen with a small white line on the top left of the screen. I think that means its looking for a disk? Once it gets past that its supper fast to boot.

Could windows be having an issue with the drive in the optical bay and I should move it to the lower drive?

Well I switched the SSD out of the optical drive bay and there is no change... Maybe something with win7?

Last edited:

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
Hi everyone, a few weeks ago I bought a new ssd for my Mac pro 5,1. I was replacing my 120 owc drive. I took the new 240gb and put ML on it and then re installed WIn 7 on my 120 and placed it in my optical drive bay.

I have been noticing that it takes a long time to boot into windows. It hangs on the a black screen with a small white line on the top left of the screen. I think that means its looking for a disk? Once it gets past that its supper fast to boot.

Could windows be having an issue with the drive in the optical bay and I should move it to the lower drive?

Well I switched the SSD out of the optical drive bay and there is no change... Maybe something with win7?

I'm having the same issue on my 2012 15" MacBook Pro. I'm dual booting windows on a 128GB SSD along side OS X and it stays on that black screen with the small white line for a long time then boots really fast... strange.

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
Saw this on another forum and it fixed the problem yay!

" You can fix the blinking cursor slow boot in Windows 7 by repairing the Master Boot Record.

1. Restart your computer into Windows.
2. While Windows is loading, press the F8 (play/pause) key about every second.
3. Select Recovery Mode and press Enter.
4. Click Repair your computer. (Command Prompt)
5. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
*Press ENTER after each command.*
*Restart your computer.* "

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Saw this on another forum and it fixed the problem yay!

" You can fix the blinking cursor slow boot in Windows 7 by repairing the Master Boot Record.

1. Restart your computer into Windows.
2. While Windows is loading, press the F8 (play/pause) key about every second.
3. Select Recovery Mode and press Enter.
4. Click Repair your computer. (Command Prompt)
5. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
*Press ENTER after each command.*
*Restart your computer.* "

Confirmed!!!!!! Thank you!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.