Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
I read the thread about BootCamp 1.1 and the problems it has with the hard drives that only run in PIO mode. And I got a simply question:
Did someone try to install Windows on his Mac Pro on an internal drive and put the drive after that into a firewire or usb2 enclosure? Can you now start windows from the external drive using the alt-key on startup? And if that works - is the PIO mode problem still present?
My Mac Pro is soon arriving, and reading the BootCamp 1.1 thread I imagined that this maybe could be a solution...

Ulf

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Windows doesn't support booting from external drives. Some people have successfully booted from standard ATA drives plugged into the secondary SuperDrive connector.

Terrabit

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
How to fix the PATA problem.

Hi.,

The problem appears to be that you need to have the appropriate Intel SATA drivers installed on the CD Installation disc used to install XP. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But i know that i have full speed SATA on my system when following the steps described here:

http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/

Please let me know if it works for you.
Terrabit!

p.s. This also fixes the problem of users only having Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation discs.

MenD

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2006
working

This method seems to be working. I get the disk running at DMA mode 2 now :)

There are still little yellow icons in the hardware window though.

But this makes the system workable...

I did the Photoshop speed test and got:

windowsXP: 4:08
OSX: 3:48

So maybe if the harddisk runs in DMA mode 5 it will be faster...

thanx!

Menno

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
Wow, this sounds like great news. At least it proves that the hardware itself is able to do it, I was actually sort of worried that it was some sort of vast oversight and wouldn't be fixed till Rev. B.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Terrabit said:
Hi.,

The problem appears to be that you need to have the appropriate Intel SATA drivers installed on the CD Installation disc used to install XP. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But i know that i have full speed SATA on my system when following the steps described here:

http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/

Please let me know if it works for you.
Terrabit!

p.s. This also fixes the problem of users only having Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation discs.

Thank you! This has definetly solved the problem with slow SATA drives...

Very HAPPY MAC PRO User here..

ctishue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2006
I thought I followed the directions right, but it didn't work. There seems to be a lot of things it tells you to download and they don't get used in the instructions. Can someone who has gotten it to work list exactly what they did?

MenD

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2006
actually, you only need the intel chipset and SATA drivers.
Download the zipfile and not the executable one from the intel website.

Menno

ctishue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2006
It works! I redid the CD because I forgot to include the chipset drivers the first time (only did the SATA ones). Internal 300GB SATA drive now benchmarking at 58MB/s. Finally time to bury the PC.

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
uelef said:
Could you give us a hyperlink?
Well, I guess the hyperlinks for the both drivers are:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

and

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...2487&dwnldid=11207&agr=y&lang=eng&prdmap=2487

Right?

But what I don't understand is, why I have to install the drivers during setting up XP. Can't I install those drivers into a working Win XP? What is the difference?
Or is it also possible to substitute the Apple drivers with those from Intel without reinstalling XP? And how exactly do I have to do that?

Ulf

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
uelef said:
But what I don't understand is, why I have to install the drivers during setting up XP. Can't I install those drivers into a working Win XP? What is the difference?
You only need to install drivers during the Windows installation if it failed to detect your drives. If you have Windows installed just install both driver packages and you should be fine.

Sean :)

uelef

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Germany, Wuerzburg
seanf said:
You only need to install drivers during the Windows installation if it failed to detect your drives. If you have Windows installed just install both driver packages and you should be fine.
Did you try it - and did you succeed? To install the chipset driver is no problem - there's a installer inside the zip-file. But what about the SATA driver? Which driver in the device manager (is this the right name in English? I only have a German verison of XP) do I have to replace?

Ulf

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
waremaster said:
Thank you! This has definetly solved the problem with slow SATA drives...

Very HAPPY MAC PRO User here..
====
Hello -- could you please give us some details on how to set up the install disk and WHAT YOU did to make it work. It is very difficult to tell what parts of the driver sets you need to put on the driver disk.

Please, some details -- much appreciated.

Bob --- :confused:

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
uelef said:
Did you try it - and did you succeed? To install the chipset driver is no problem - there's a installer inside the zip-file. But what about the SATA driver? Which driver in the device manager (is this the right name in English? I only have a German verison of XP) do I have to replace?
Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on my Mac Pro so have not been able to test this myself. Try the following:

In Device Manager find your disk drive, right click on it and select Properties. Then select the Driver tab and click on Update Driver. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and then follow the steps and specify the SATA driver.

Let us know if this works.

Sean :)

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
BadRambo said:
====
Hello -- could you please give us some details on how to set up the install disk and WHAT YOU did to make it work. It is very difficult to tell what parts of the driver sets you need to put on the driver disk.

Please, some details -- much appreciated.

Bob --- :confused:

Hello. What part do you need help with? The important thing is to slipstream the intel SATA raid drivers the chipset drivers can be installed after the windows installation using the bootcamp drivers.

Use nLite to slipstream the SATA drivers. It's the equivalent of pressing F6 and installing an OEM driver disk during the install but since you havent got a floppy drive on the mac slipstreaming is the only way.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
waremaster said:
Hello. What part do you need help with? The important thing is to slipstream the intel SATA raid drivers the chipset drivers can be installed after the windows installation using the bootcamp drivers.

Use nLite to slipstream the SATA drivers. It's the equivalent of pressing F6 and installing an OEM driver disk during the install but since you havent got a floppy drive on the mac slipstreaming is the only way.
-----
The SATA drivers basically come with two folders, one for 32 bit, one for 64 bit. In those folders are an ARRAY of files. Which of those files needs to be slipstreamed ??? Is it just one file, or a group of them? Or the whole folder? Could you just give a description of which ones. Many of us are not real familiar with the slipstreaming process, but it is written up a bit on the web. Any other instructions would be helpful.

Thanks --- ;)

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
BadRambo said:
-----
The SATA drivers basically come with two folders, one for 32 bit, one for 64 bit. In those folders are an ARRAY of files. Which of those files needs to be slipstreamed ??? Is it just one file, or a group of them? Or the whole folder? Could you just give a description of which ones. Many of us are not real familiar with the slipstreaming process, but it is written up a bit on the web. Any other instructions would be helpful.

Thanks --- ;)

When you integrate the drivers you will select multiple foldes at the bottom of nlite then it will bring up a list. Select all then choose the intel 631 raid driver in the text mode driver make sure that HDC Intel 631 Raid is listed and if you scroll over you will see it should have already have selected the 32bit driver for you.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
waremaster said:
When you integrate the drivers you will select multiple foldes at the bottom of nlite then it will bring up a list. Select all then choose the intel 631 raid driver in the text mode driver make sure that HDC Intel 631 Raid is listed and if you scroll over you will see it should have already have selected the 32bit driver for you.

----
Great info --- and just to make sure, I am installing on a Mac Pro! Is that the right driver for the Mac Pro ??? Just to be safe. I have downloaded nLite and am ready to go....Thanks! :)

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
BadRambo said:
----
Great info --- and just to make sure, I am installing on a Mac Pro! Is that the right driver for the Mac Pro ??? Just to be safe. I have downloaded nLite and am ready to go....Thanks! :)

The file name on intels site is imsm_windows_x86-x64_v.5.6.2.1002.zip there is a direct link a few posts up.

Just extract that to it's own folder than use nlite to slip it into your new xp cd

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
waremaster said:
The file name on intels site is imsm_windows_x86-x64_v.5.6.2.1002.zip there is a direct link a few posts up.

Just extract that to it's own folder than use nlite to slip it into your new xp cd
----
OK, made my disk with the drivers (32 bit) all included slipped in with nLite, and have installed the "new" disk. After the basic install, I saw no difference in the DMA settings at all. I am now installing the BootCamp Apple drivers.

The Intel drivers were installed manually with their own installer.

I checked the Device Manager to see if the drivers made it from the new disk, as you noted before and the Intel 631 Drivers are installed for both ATA and Serial ATA controllers.

The HD drive is still benchmarking terribly slow...what am I doing differently that you are not??? :confused:

Thanks for your patience --- Bob

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
BadRambo said:
----
OK, made my disk with the drivers (32 bit) all included slipped in with nLite, and have installed the "new" disk. After the basic install, I saw no difference in the DMA settings at all. I am now installing the BootCamp Apple drivers.

The Intel drivers were installed manually with their own installer.

I checked the Device Manager to see if the drivers made it from the new disk, as you noted before and the Intel 631 Drivers are installed for both ATA and Serial ATA controllers.

The HD drive is still benchmarking terribly slow...what am I doing differently that you are not??? :confused:

Thanks for your patience --- Bob

Out of curiosity did you check the drivers before you did the bootcamp drivers or after?

Sorry I misread your previous msg. if you have msn or icq PM me with your info and once we figure out what went wrong we will post your solution to the forum so others will benefit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.