Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrippKnightly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
As above. Have taken it apart and cleaned all roller wheels, balls etc of gunk.

Still does not scroll down UNLESS I hold the mouse and press down on the ball w/ some pressure. What else besides cleaning can be wrong. Scrolls UP fine.

Not sure how to test left to right.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
You mean a Mighty Mouse. Mighty Mice are old and this is a common problem after months of use. Get a Magic Mouse.

TrippKnightly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Yeah fair enough it's neither magic nor mighty whatever it is. Looked on the bottom of the mouse and apple was kind of enough to indicate it was designed by apple and it was manufactured in malaysia, but in some kind of minimalism didn't think that saying Mighty Mouse in lieu of model A1197 was worth doing.

I can't believe the solution is to buy a new mouse... as I mentioned it IS picking up the downscroll with enough pressure. And I think I have the problem even after swapping around the magnetic wheels... suggests to me it's not a bad wheel.

misterbig

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah you pretty much have to get a new mouse. The Mighty Mouse had plenty of issues with its design that could cause it to malfunction prematurely. I had one myself and stopped using it after about 1 year. Switched to a Logitech MX Nano and have had no problems with it in the 2+ years I've had it.

When it comes to mice, it's still better to stick to the established brands like Logitech and Microsoft. Apple has a pretty poor track record making functional mice that can last for years.

Vandefilm

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
I use the magic mouse for een couple of weeks now and im used to and other mice (like at work) feel now as huge chunks of mice.

TrippKnightly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Some of your responses have made me realize there's no reason to be particularly wed to this mouse anyway. Not very ergonomic, honestly. Guess I was just more interested in fixing it for fixing's sake, but I like the idea that there's a better mouse to trap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.