Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyandii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Hi all, I have a MacBook (mid-2010 white) which I bought around four years ago.

It worked perfectly for quite a while, but I didn't use it for quite a while (9-10 months) and when I opened it up, it turned out the battery needed replacement. I got the battery replaced (by an Apple-certified store), but when I turned it on this time, the battery information showed 'Service battery' warning, and the first full charge went up only to 97% and not 100%. The store informed me that it's normal and that I can still use my Macbook normally, but after checking CoconutBattery, I was surprised that it held only 66.7% of the design capacity when it's supposed to be a new battery.

I did a recalibration (charging it to full and leaving it plugged in for two hours, then unplugging it and leaving it to drain until it dies on its own, then charging again), and it lowered the design capacity to 65.8%!

It feels a bit worrying that a supposedly new replacement battery holds only 66-65% of its' initial design capacity. Is this normal or should I get looked at again?

This is the battery information from System Information, and the CoconutBattery screenshots are attached.

Model Information:
Serial Number: W03044RMFD3LC
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 201
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 165
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 3695
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 3799
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 1
Condition: Service Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -111
Voltage (mV): 12020

Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 12.31.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 8.53.01 PM.png

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I'd try doing an SMC reset first. To do that, first shut down your MacBook and connect it to power. Then hold down the left-side Shift, Control and Option keys and power button at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds, let go, and then power the computer on. You'll know when you've done the reset when the LED on the MagSafe plug changes color.

kyandii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
I'd try doing an SMC reset first. To do that, first shut down your MacBook and connect it to power. Then hold down the left-side Shift, Control and Option keys and power button at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds, let go, and then power the computer on. You'll know when you've done the reset when the LED on the MagSafe plug changes color.

I followed your instructions, but the LED didn't change colors, it only dimmed until it turned off. When it turned off, I powered it on, but now the battery is down to 65.5% design capacity and only raised a tiny bit to 98% battery charge. :( should I try it again? or maybe recalibrate the battery again? or perhaps just give up and use the battery until it needs to be replaced again? :confused:

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
How long ago did you have the battery replaced?

Apple guarantees replacement batteries for one year from the date of battery service.

kyandii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
How long ago did you have the battery replaced?

Apple guarantees replacement batteries for one year from the date of battery service.

I had it replaced on the 28th. I live in Saudi Arabia, and we don't have any official Apple stores, so I went to a store with an authorized maintenance center, and they replaced it for me. I already called to ask and they said it's normal, but I'm still a bit confused as to why the capacity is so low if it's a new battery.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hi kyandii, welcome to the forums.

Despite the capacity of the battery being displayed as such a low percentage, how well is it holding a charge considering your typical usage?

If it doesn't hold a charge well (meaning the reading is proper, as it could be improper) then there is definitely an issue and I wouldn't let them persuade you into thinking that it is normal.

Is that battery itself a genuine Apple part? You can determine this by opening the laptop and checking the part/serial numbers on it.

kyandii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
Hi kyandii, welcome to the forums.

Despite the capacity of the battery being displayed as such a low percentage, how well is it holding a charge considering your typical usage?

If it doesn't hold a charge well (meaning the reading is proper, as it could be improper) then there is definitely an issue and I wouldn't let them persuade you into thinking that it is normal.

Is that battery itself a genuine Apple part? You can determine this by opening the laptop and checking the part/serial numbers on it.

At full charge of 98%, the battery info says it holds around 4:50 hrs. I charged it to full and unplugged it at 11PM, and now at 2:15 AM, it's down to 25% (1:08 left) with typical usage of web surfing and watching videos. I did switch between using my Macbook and my PC while using it, so it might be different if I was using it continually without switching back and forth.

I'm not sure how to open it :oops: However, both CoconutBattery and the System Information show that it is a SMP part. The store is also authorized by Apple. Should I still try to open it up and check?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
At full charge of 98%, the battery info says it holds around 4:50 hrs. I charged it to full and unplugged it at 11PM, and now at 2:15 AM, it's down to 25% (1:08 left) with typical usage of web surfing and watching videos. I did switch between using my Macbook and my PC while using it, so it might be different if I was using it continually without switching back and forth.

I'm not sure how to open it :oops: However, both CoconutBattery and the System Information show that it is a SMP part. The store is also authorized by Apple. Should I still try to open it up and check?

No worries, I wouldn't suggest opening it unless you have the right tools and such. Not a big deal at all, considering that this place seems to be the only option in your circumstance anyway.

I would definitely phone them again, or head over there and explain what is going on. 3-4 hours if that is not how long it should be holding a charge, and that actually seems pretty accurate of what a 60% capacity battery would yield.

So, essentially, it seems like the reading is proper and you were sold a 60% capacity battery, which is not cool. I'd get my money back or have it replaced again.

kyandii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2015
No worries, I wouldn't suggest opening it unless you have the right tools and such. Not a big deal at all, considering that this place seems to be the only option in your circumstance anyway.

I would definitely phone them again, or head over there and explain what is going on. 3-4 hours if that is not how long it should be holding a charge, and that actually seems pretty accurate of what a 60% capacity battery would yield.

So, essentially, it seems like the reading is proper and you were sold a 60% capacity battery, which is not cool. I'd get my money back or have it replaced again.

Ah, I was hoping it's just the age of my MacBook affecting the battery, but looks like I'll have to go to the store again. Thank you for your help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.