Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calabi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hello!

I'm thinking about upgrading my trusty 15 inch MacBook Pro Early 2008 (that's right pre-unibody!) with a new 13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I've been though a lot with my early 2008 mbp, a few years ago I upgraded the HDD to an SSD which bought me a few more years. But now it's time to invest in a new model which will last me another 7 years ha!

I've been looking at a refurb 13 inch rMBP 2.8GHz 16GB memory, 512 SSD from July 2014, but for an extra £280 I can get a brand new 13 inch rMBP 2.9GHz with same memory and SSD current generation (Early 2005). That from what I can tell gives you a slight CPU bump, force touch trackpad and improved GPU.

My question, is it worth the extra money to get the brand new machine? Or stick with last years refurb and save the money?

I'm mainly using it for my photography (lightroom and photoshop), web development and basic iOS development.

Wondering what people think? I'm really stuck!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello!

I'm thinking about upgrading my trusty 15 inch MacBook Pro Early 2008 (that's right pre-unibody!) with a new 13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I've been though a lot with my early 2008 mbp, a few years ago I upgraded the HDD to an SSD which bought me a few more years. But now it's time to invest in a new model which will last me another 7 years ha!

I've been looking at a refurb 13 inch rMBP 2.8GHz 16GB memory, 512 SSD from July 2014, but for an extra £280 I can get a brand new 13 inch rMBP 2.9GHz with same memory and SSD current generation (Early 2005). That from what I can tell gives you a slight CPU bump, force touch trackpad and improved GPU.

My question, is it worth the extra money to get the brand new machine? Or stick with last years refurb and save the money?

I'm mainly using it for my photography (lightroom and photoshop), web development and basic iOS development.

The faster SSD, Force Touch and battery life are worth the money. Plus, it'll retain its resale value better due to ForceTouch.

calabi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Thank you for the advice! It's not a lot of machine and you guys have experience, glad I asked here first!

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
I asked myself the same question about a month ago.
I was ready to buy my first MacBook, and I decided to go with the 13" 2014 model since a local retailer had a sale going on, and I got the 256GB for the same price the 2015 128GB sells for.

Now since you're not in the US, I'm not sure if you have that option.

Refurbished wasn't really a consideration for me, since I could get the new 2014 for a great price.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I think the cost difference is worth getting a new notebook as opposed to a refurbished one without the performance increases and differences that others have already mentioned.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello!

You are in the UK so buy from amazon and save a fair bit (up to £200) the prices seem to change daily but if you catch it on a good day you'll get a really good deal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MacBo...&sr=1-1&keywords=macbook+pro+retina+13+512gb3

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd opt for the newer model, a but faster, better SSD, force touch. I think the price increase is worth it

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
the price difference only was about $100 so it was a no brainer to get the 2015 model. that's what i did. final price at best buy after coupon stacks and redeeeming BB rewards (sales tax was wiped out by cashback) was $1480. i could have gotten the leftover 2014 model for $1360...so technically a $120 difference

calabi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Thank you all for your help! I think I'm going to grab the newer model, still sounds like a great deal!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.