Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Hello guys,
I searched this forum and Internet but I didn't found something similar with this model (it's not the crackling problem reported by mane).

I recently purchased a brand new MacBook Pro 2018 15´ with i9 and 32 GB of RAM. It's working very well except for this issue.
With some type of sounds like some female voices or the typical Skype sound when you're making a call and if volume level is above 50% the left speakers made the chassis of the computer to vibrate and the sound becomes distorted. The high the volume the high is the vibration. If I put my hand over the speaker and made a little pressure the problem is softened so the speaker itself is okay. If I put MBP over a soft surface like my couch the problem is solved.

It sounds like an isolation problem. Before this computer I had a Lenovo notebook with the same problem but not as big as this. Maybe it's because the Lenovo had lower sound output?
Is this a normal or expected phenomenon?

Please take a look at this video I made:

Thank you for your input regarding this issue.

jadraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I am afraid the video really does not pick up the problem. If you think it is wrong, take it to Apple to have them listen.

Regarding the vibration I gently but firmly pressed all over the left part of the chassis (where I listen the vibration) and so far so good no more vibration even with same sounds at highest volume level). Maybe there's something loose inside that make the noise when speakers are playing certain frequencies. I hope that the pressure fixed the problem forever.

This model is not available in Chile (only the i7 with 16 GB of RAM) so an exchange is not possible and I'm afraid of somebody (even Apple authorized) to open my brand new computer.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Regarding the vibration I gently but firmly pressed all over the left part of the chassis (where I listen the vibration) and so far so good no more vibration even with same sounds at highest volume level). Maybe there's something loose inside that make the noise when speakers are playing certain frequencies. I hope that the pressure fixed the problem forever.

This model is not available in Chile (only the i7 with 16 GB of RAM) so an exchange is not possible and I'm afraid of somebody (even Apple authorized) to open my brand new computer.

Hope it fixed it, too! There are very small screws on the back, maybe one of them is loose.

I would, also, not want my new MBPro opened up.

Hope you enjoy!

jadraker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Hello guys,
Unfortunately the problem persists. It happens with some sound and if I press over top case or even if I take notebook up the sound is crystal clear for some time until it starts making the chassis to vibrate. If I firmly press the caps lock key the sound is also crystal clear.
This video show the problem:

Anyone have this problem? In March I’ll be traveling to USA and I hope Apple can change this computer. It’s a quite expensive device to have such a bad vibration. The vibration happens even at low volume like 40 or so.

Thank you.

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Hello guys,
Unfortunately the problem persists. It happens with some sound and if I press over top case or even if I take notebook up the sound is crystal clear for some time until it starts making the chassis to vibrate. If I firmly press the caps lock key the sound is also crystal clear.
This video show the problem:

Anyone have this problem? In March I’ll be traveling to USA and I hope Apple can change this computer. It’s a quite expensive device to have such a bad vibration. The vibration happens even at low volume like 40 or so.

Thank you.

there is no exchange option, only repair, there is a possibility to get a replacement but after third repair

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.