Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I just got my macbook pro this x-mas. (13") I don't care how fast the new ones are but whats the chance the unibody design will change because that would really make me cringe:(

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The new Unibody design has been introduced in October 2008, the design before that for the aluminium MBPs was introduced in 2002/3.

So the Unibody design will stay with us for a very long while unless something radically is changed in computer design and processing components.

Search before you post something that has been posted several times already.
MRoogle is quite a good tool to search this forums.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Lol what can change that would make you cringe?

This obviously:
attachment.php

It's the next step, really.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I almost think we will see a slight design change.

If they introdouce the Quad Core i7's they will have to make the MBP's thicker.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
OMG I want one! I think that will be the specs of one in 10 years, still 4999$ is a bit steep without a holoscreen or an elastic oled screen which goes from 10" to 65"

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
We'll see this chassis for at least 3 years in total. Yes, I know the old chassis was around for quite some time, but that was well before Apple has become as large of a threat as they are now. If they are to remain a top competitor, they'll need to change the design to be thinner, lighter, sexier, ect. .. at a faster rate.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I think the current unibody design will last for 5+ years. Just look at the PowerBook G4/MacBook Pro. The Same basic design stayed with them for over 5 years and those notebooks can't compare to the design and sturdiness of the current MBPs. So if I had to guess: 2013 :eek:

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
It will change when Jobs no longer gets aroused by looking at the design.

This is most likely the closest to the truth I've seen in a long time. One day Jobs will wake up bored by the look of his unibody MBP and go "this needs to change!".

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I'm intrigued to see what the next design in MacBook Pros will be, I think the current ones are a beautiful state of art.

So with all the talk and rumour about the next MBP coming soonish...as long they keep the same unibody look I couldnt care less what they put under the hood.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, just look at apple's track record at changing the enclosure. They do it rarely. Just look how long apple held onto the prior MBP case. It dates back to the G4 Aluminum case. The MacPro has hasn't changed in the G5.

Nah, the resources required to to design a new enclosure, test it, and then retool manufacturing is such that it makes little sense to do a over-haul of the case so soon since its inception. They may tweak the case a bit but no such design change is in the works.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
This obviously:

It's the next step, really.
Hell yes. I don't care if that thing costs $10000. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Though I am disappointed that The bezel still looks too thick and ugly and it STILL doesn't come with the i5 and i7 processors, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0 and that iSight camera sure as heck better have flash and be able to take 1080p video and 5 MP Photos. Seriously get with the times Apple!

hackum

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
If this thing had a smaller bezel how would you hold it without interfering with the touchscreen?

Utop1aa

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Student

Hi! I am a graphic design student and I am looking to buy the macbook pro 17". I would like to buy it now, but if an update is coming in Feb. I can wait. Past that, I will have to just buy it. Any advice?

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi! I am a graphic design student and I am looking to buy the macbook pro 17". I would like to buy it now, but if an update is coming in Feb. I can wait. Past that, I will have to just buy it. Any advice?
Advice about what? Just wait. You said it yourself. Do you want us to tell you to buy the current model now?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
You can almost bet the chassis (unibody) won't change in structure.

Some possible design tweaks:

1) Slight tint colour change to the aluminium
2) Models without optical drive (effectively killing the MBA)
3) change keyboard to have silver keys (my wish)
4) provide a matte option to 13" MBP's
:)

Utop1aa

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
I don't want you to tell me to buy it now... I just wish someone actually new if the update was going to be in Feb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.