Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hi,
I have returned my Surface Pro for repair two times and now it's broken again so the store will refound me my money.

Anyway, this Macbook Pro I'll buy for my own money and 2 years from now I'll get a new Macbook Pro from my work.

What I'm thinking is that I'm going to buy the Macbook Pro 13" Touch bar with 8GB of RAM I can get it for 2155 USD but my quastion is; Will 8GB of RAM be good for 2 years from now?

I'm using my computer today for the following things:
Remote Desktop sessions against servers (windows) (in windows I'm using RDCman but I guess at mac I'll use the Windows Client)
Teams
TeamViewer (remote others computers)
Chrome

I'm thinking that I'll get around with 8GB of RAM and after 2 years I'll just buy a model with 32GB of RAM as then my work will pay for it.

So what do you think?

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I’d argue 8GB isn’t enough today if you want to use chrome with more than one tab.

Ok, but the next one are going to be the Macbook Pro 15" touch bar with the following spec:
  • Intel® Core™ i7 hexa-core, 2.2 GHz
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM
  • Radeon Pro 555X grafik
What I'm worried about if I'll buy the 15" is the battery time and also that I'll have a intergreated and a second graphic card because I have bad experience with dual graphic cards.
And the prices is more also, that one will cost 2873USD

What I'll use Chrome for need two tabs and the rest I can use Safari for.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
Get the most RAM you can afford. It will also increase the future resale value of your machine.

If I were in the market for a new MBP, I would without a doubt get 16 GB of RAM. I'd even say get more RAM over a bigger SSD. You can always get an external drive later to increase storage, but you can't add more RAM.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Ok, but the next one are going to be the Macbook Pro 15" touch bar with the following spec:
I’m not sure what model 13” you planned to get but none seem to match the price you mentioned. Upgrading 8 to 16GB ram is $200 on a 13”.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I’m not sure what model 13” you planned to get but none seem to match the price you mentioned. Upgrading 8 to 16GB ram is $200 on a 13”.
I'm living in Sweden so I did convert Swedish Crons to USD.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What were the problems? What model?

It was the Surface Pro 2017 aka. 5 with i7 and 16GB of RAM.
During all of my devices it did have terribal CoilWhine and also the fan appeard to be broken because when it was at 100% it did generate a high pitch sound and also when the fan was in normal speed it did sound like something was hitting the blades.

And it started to stutter verry much when you was writing in outlook or something like that it did freeze and then the text was written verry fast, and netflix did lagg etc. That was the issue for two of my devices.

The last one did have the coilwhine and fan issue but also the USB port are broken on it.

So I did give up on the Surface, I don't even want to try the 6:gen because of all my issues.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Why not a MacBook Air? You don't seem to do any work that would require a lot of CPU power and the new MBA is an excellent machine.

And yes, 8GB is sufficient for the next 2 years.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Why not a MacBook Air? You don't seem to do any work that would require a lot of CPU power and the new MBA is an excellent machine.

And yes, 8GB is sufficient for the next 2 years.

Yes but if I order a cto it will take to long.

I have the 15” if I want 16gb ram or if I want the 13” I have it with 8gb of ram.

I don’t know why I don’t buy the air, I might take a look at it.

Samorap

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019
Hello, first time poster here. I’m typing this message on my 15 inch, mid-2012 MBP with 8 gigs of 1600 DDR3 RAM. I use this laptop for editing graphics in Photoshop CS6. I usually have multiple Safari tabs open while I’m working in Photoshop. Apple stopped providing updates for this machine in 2015. My laptop used to run hot, but now it runs cool, and I no longer need a laptop fan. My guess is because my MBP no longer “phones home” for updates, or whatever it was doing.

The reason I haven’t updated my MBP in years is because it’s perfect. It does everything I need it to do. It never crashes (no kernel panic issues). But most importantly it doesn’t have the annoying Retina display.

The vivid, high contrast colors of the Retina display is unlike anything seen in nature. Grass is never that green, the sky is never that blue.

My photography friends constantly complain that the colors in their photos are too highly saturated - even after they turn down the saturation in their camera settings. I hate to tell them the problem is their Retina monitors.

Reactions: Ghost31

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I'd suggest the Air as well. Given your usage, 8GB is more than enough. Recent versions of OS X do an incredible job with memory management, and even with a hog like Chrome you won't see much slow down.

You also avoid the Touch Bar if you go with the Air, which I'd say is an upgrade.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
8 GB is probably enough. If you were thinking of reselling, I would consider getting 16GB because it would make a more attractive machine when it is on the market. Also, Activity Monitor is not a good way to see your RAM usage. From what I understand, macOS will "use" whatever amount of RAM it can and not clear out unless it needs to making the usage seem higher than it is.

Last thing, I am not sure what it is like in Sweden, but in the U.S. I would never mix a work computer with personal use. If you are subject to a work investigation, they will go through your work computer. Not sure I want my work going through my (their) computer.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Buy the most RAM, the most storage, and the most graphics that your budget can afford - in that order.

There is little reason to buy a 13” WITHOUT 16GB of RAM.

16GB is probably enough for most users. I went with 32GB in my 15”, not because I necessarily NEED it, but I want it and I expect this laptop to last me four or five years (or longer). I don’t want RAM to be my limiting factor and it’s cheap enough.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I have now ordered MacBook Pro 2018 touch bar with 8GB of RAM.
Why you might ask?

Well, I did do some reading how MacOS are handling the RAM and let's just say that I'm convinced that I'll make it with 8GB of RAM during the 2 years that I'll use it and my wife will take it after that and also there I'm convinced that she will make it with 8GB of RAM.
Maybe in 4-5 years you will have 16GB of RAM as standard but in that time this machine is vintage and then I don't have any use with it so.

I'm convinced that I can do everything that I'm doing on it without any issues.
  • Chrome 2 tabs
  • Safari maybe 3-4 tabs
  • Apple Music
  • Microsoft Remote Desktop Client with 3 machines connected at the same time
  • Outlook
  • Word
  • Teams
And if I'll hit the roof sometimes I'm counting on that my 256GB SSD will handle the swap file with full speed.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
For your intended usage, I’d just get an air with 8gb. You are not doing anything processor or graphics-intensive and 8gb is more than plenty for years to come.

Harry110

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
if you get 16 gb ram, I am sure it will last more than 7 years!

7 years? Is that true though? I want it to be, but the more of these forums I read the more I am led to believe a new MacBook Pro will have a broken keyboard before then. And not a question of “if,” but “when.”

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For your intended usage, I’d just get an air with 8gb. You are not doing anything processor or graphics-intensive and 8gb is more than plenty for years to come.
I agree, 8GB is more then enough for his stated needs now and in the near future. The MBA is a fine choice for him and it will be easier on the wallet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.