Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Ah, a friend has just kindly offered me an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13" for free!

I'll chuck in a 1TB SSD and 8GB RAM and it should cover me for making music and editing a few GoPro videos for a year or so, until I get a new MBP!

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Ah, a friend has just kindly offered me an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13" for free!

I'll chuck in a 1TB SSD and 8GB RAM and it should cover me for making music and editing a few GoPro videos for a year or so, until I get a new MBP!

Best performance per dollar.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Yeah, people who have updated their early 2011 models with an SSD and 16GB RAM only this year sound very happy.

Geekbench scores for single Core are similar to my 2010 quad core iMac i7 and roughly double the White MacBook.

Understandably, the iMac doubles it on MultiCore score.

Planning on adding a 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM and replacing the cd drive with a 2TB disc drive for all my GoPro footage.

I'll then simply have one 4TB desktop drive for Time Machine and use Amazon Drive for image backups, so that's a lot of storage and backups in just one 13" machine and one dictionary-sized hard drive.

Confident it'll handle my music production requirements. My main concern is video editing, but I think using ProRes it should be Ok.. will probably just take ages to render!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
2TB SSD in cMBP is quite reasonable. 4TB is expensive, but doable.

As my 2TB hard drive was almost full, I decided to upgrade to a 2TB hybrid drive, which just became available finally.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster

As my 2TB hard drive was almost full, I decided to upgrade to a 2TB hybrid drive, which just became available finally.

I'm at about 800-900GB and can easily shave off 100GB by moving my ISO files onto the second disc drive I'll be installing.. I could do the same with my iTunes library (150GB) and maybe even Photo Library (70-80GB), so 1TB SSD should be ample.

1TB SSD is under £300, whereas 2TB is nearly double the cost.

Is a hybrid drive worth getting? Probably nowhere near as fast as SSD?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm at about 800-900GB and can easily shave off 100GB by moving my ISO files onto the second disc drive I'll be installing.. I could do the same with my iTunes library (150GB) and maybe even Photo Library (70-80GB), so 1TB SSD should be ample.

If you run VMs, you really want an SSD. For basic use, a hybrid drive can improve the experience a lot.

At 1TB I installed a 7200RPM hard drive instead of a 5400RPM hybrid drive and I am not sure it was the right choice.

Above that, you can only fit 5400RPM.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

I had a hybrid in my current 2011 MBP. It was better than the 5400rpm drive I had before, but nowhere near as fast as an SSD. Installed a SSD early last year and it was like night and day, has meant I've been able to comfortably carry on using it for about a year longer than I was originally planning.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It is TLC. My bad behaving EVO is TLC.

At least it has a Marvell controller.

I like Micron (Crucial) with Marvell.

I bought a 1TB MX100 when it came out.

The MX200 has Marvell and MLC.

The MX300 is TLC and does not seem very fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.