Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Hi Guys,
My 2010 MacBook battery died a few weeks ago. Anyway, a few days later the trackpad popped up slightly. Today it is raised about 2.5cm and the black covering seems to be growing outwards. What is happening? Is it the battery warping?

Attachments

• mac.JPG
    mac.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 265

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
It certainly looks that way! Is the battery removable in that machine?
Hi Phil,
Yes it's replaceable but Apple don't sell them anymore as they told me the machine is over 5 years old so all spares are discontinued.
Is it still safe? I don't want a Samsung Note 7 happening to me :)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi Phil,
Yes it's replaceable but Apple don't sell them anymore as they told me the machine is over 5 years old so all spares are discontinued.
Is it still safe? I don't want a Samsung Note 7 happening to me :)

If your battery is swelling to the point of forcing the trackpad out of it's place, I would NOT use it. Period. I'd get it to Apple and have them evaluate it/repair it/safely dispose of it.

There's absolutely NO way that I would keep that around my home/car/office. It's a very bad situation waiting to happen.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
If your battery is swelling to the point of forcing the trackpad out of it's place, I would NOT use it. Period. I'd get it to Apple and have them evaluate it/repair it/safely dispose of it.

There's absolutely NO way that I would keep that around my home/car/office. It's a very bad situation waiting to happen.

Damn! Thank you for the advice!
Should I get in touch with Apple on line as I do not live near a Apple store?

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Hi Guys,
Im in the UK. Just spoken to Apple and they aren't interested as it's a late 2009 model and they don't keep the parts. They just advised taking it to another computer service centre. Disappointing service. Usually Apple are great when I'm buying new products.
Been a bit unlucky with this one as the white casing cracked a few years back and the glue came unstuck near the screen bezel.
[doublepost=1475704129][/doublepost]If I take the battery out myself, will the MacBook still work and power up without a battery in place?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Hi Guys,
Im in the UK. Just spoken to Apple and they aren't interested as it's a late 2009 model and they don't keep the parts. They just advised taking it to another computer service centre. Disappointing service. Usually Apple are great when I'm buying new products.
Been a bit unlucky with this one as the white casing cracked a few years back and the glue came unstuck near the screen bezel.
[doublepost=1475704129][/doublepost]If I take the battery out myself, will the MacBook still work and power up without a battery in place?

Yes, I believe so. At least you could when batteries were external.

You can also just go on Amazon or OWC and buy a third party battery. They are pretty trivial to install. I bought an Anker last year for my 2010.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Yes, I believe so. At least you could when batteries were external.

You can also just go on Amazon or OWC and buy a third party battery. They are pretty trivial to install. I bought an Anker last year for my 2010.

Thank you Cougarcat! I'll give it a try! :)
[doublepost=1475707335][/doublepost]I've managed to find a SLODA battery on Amazon so i'm going to give this a shot. :)

Reactions: Cougarcat

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I had a white MacBook with a battery that swelled up. The first signs of trouble was the trackpad would sometimes click by itself and the laptop was wobbling on the table.

Yes, you can remove the battery and run it just off of the power adaptor.

I ended up purchasing a non-Apple made battery from Ebay for about $20. It didn't last as long as the original but it worked up until the day I sold that laptop. I also have a non-Apple made battery in my current 2008 aluminum MacBook that I've been using for close to two years.

Now, I have an app called FruitJuice installed that help me maintain the battery better than how I used to.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
I had a white MacBook with a battery that swelled up. The first signs of trouble was the trackpad would sometimes click by itself and the laptop was wobbling on the table.

Yes, you can remove the battery and run it just off of the power adaptor.

I ended up purchasing a non-Apple made battery from Ebay for about $20. It didn't last as long as the original but it worked up until the day I sold that laptop. I also have a non-Apple made battery in my current 2008 aluminum MacBook that I've been using for close to two years.

Now, I have an app called FruitJuice installed that help me maintain the battery better than how I used to.
Hi Pastrychef,
Thank you so much for that. I've ordered a new SLOVA battery from Amazon today which should be great :)
I'm sure that it'll be fun fitting it :)

Reactions: pastrychef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.