Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I thought it would be interesting to see just how far our love of these older systems have pushed us financially. In other words how much was your most expensive ppc mac or how much have you spend on upgrades to increase your performance.

Currently the most expensive ppc mac I have including upgrades is my iMac g5 17 inch 1.8ghz ambient light sensor model. The machine was picked up in tandem with an emac 1.42ghz for $60 for the pair. I upped the ram to 2gb and threw in a ssd I had in my power mac g5 quad. Over $100 in upgrades but I love that machine and to me it was worth it.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
The total amount of money I have spent for PPC Machines is $9. Which was sort of a waste...

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I thought it would be interesting to see just how far our love of these older systems have pushed us financially. In other words how much was your most expensive ppc mac or how much have you spend on upgrades to increase your performance.

Currently the most expensive ppc mac I have including upgrades is my iMac g5 17 inch 1.8ghz ambient light sensor model. The machine was picked up in tandem with an emac 1.42ghz for $60 for the pair. I upped the ram to 2gb and threw in a ssd I had in my power mac g5 quad. Over $100 in upgrades but I love that machine and to me it was worth it.

I have two PPC Macs. both in my signature. The eMac i have not done much too (isnt much you can do to one) when i got the eMac it came with a CD-ROM Drive. Most of the upgrades i did to it were from parts I had so other than the $25? dollars it cost me for a SuperDrive I haven't spent much of anything on it.

My MDD is a different story. I have put in a USB 2 card. I also had to buy a HDD caddy for it as mine was missing one.

Both my macs cost me around 80 bucks shipped - each.

Although I have no more than $50 invested in both of them the past 3 years I plan to start upgrades next month.

For my eMac i need to get 2GB RAM and the biggest IDE (or Laptop SATA and IDE Adaptor) for it that i can. I also plan on getting a 1.42GHz logicboard for it when i can get my hands on one.

My PowerMac I plan to get a new graphics card, Bluetooth, AirPort, SATA Controller and 4 750GB SATA HDDs. All said and done with RAM upgrades for both systems and HDD upgrades as well as the PowerMac upgrades I am assuming I will pay the better part of $300 in upgrades.

I also plan on buying even more. I want to get my hands on a iBook G4 (Maybe a original iBook) as well as a G4 Mini, G4 Cube or a B&W G3 to use as a Internet Sharing Server.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've probably spent enough(total) on PPC Macs to buy a new Mac Pro, although admittedly it was all in small installments. At the same time, though, I've been able to scavenge a lot in the way of hard drives, optical drives, and memory-I can often avoid buying those. Since I started on this crazy hobby, I've bought exactly two IDE drives, and bought those not so much out of need but for the fact that they were available and I thought relatively inexpensive. I do have to buy SCSI drives on occasion.

Probably the best "money pit" example is my Quicksilver, which has actually involved complete replacement of the computer. In my journey with that, I've gone through:

1. The first computer, which was $40 plus the $30 in gas is cost me to drive up and get it(and $.50 worth of superglue to fix the main case fan). I upgraded the CD-RW to a Superdrive "from inventory" at no cost.

2. A Motorola WPCI810G Wireless card for $10

3. A USB 2.0/Firewire 400 card for $10

4. A revolving door of video cards. The first was a GEForce 4MX for about $15, although I won't count that one as it's since been repurposed. I upgraded to a GEForce 4Ti, which was bought in a lot with another card(Radeon 8500) and a couple of programs. I'd put my cost on that card at about $20-it died. The machine also ate a Radeon 9600XT($25) before I replaced the power supply(long story, but I'll count the PSU as free). The second Radeon 9600XT cost me about the same and has since been moved to another machine. I'm currently using a Radeon 9600 Pro that cost me about $15. Adding up the dead cards and the current one, and not including the ones that are still in use elsewhere, I'm at about $60 on video cards.

5. The dual 1ghz processor and heatsink cost me $60

6. I went through a series of hard drives-most freebies. I currently have a 500gb WD Caviar Blue in it that was free, and a refurbished 160gb WD that cost me $14

7. Finally, I bought a real, honest to goodness dual 1ghz Quicksilver, that cost me $160 including shipping

8. The main display is a 23" High Definition Cinema display that cost me $100 including shipping and the ADC-DVI converter box. The secondary display is a 17" Studio, which I'll count as free as it came with a G5. I'm also powering it with an A1006, which cost me $30

I spent about $350 on Cubes a few months back, and have paid what were probably unreasonably high prices for computers I really wanted. My DLSD Powerbook cost me $150, and I spent another $50 putting an SSD in it. I spent $150 on a 12" Powerbook with an SSD already installed.

I really don't want to sit down and add up my total cost in my PPC collection. The above is just a sampling of what I have. I've had a lot of freebies(all my beige Powermacintoshes, my iMac G3s and G4, and a couple of others I'm forgetting) and computers that were so cheap they were almost free(like the 15 G3 and G4 towers I paid $40 total for), and probably overpaid for some others. Despite having a couple, I've also never paid for a 68K Mac.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I paid $300 shipped for a practically new (30 cycles) 1Ghz TiBook with all packaging. It was pretty overindulgent, but I was lured in by its beauty nevertheless.

I ended up trading this beloved laptop for my current Digital Audio G4, which had been upgraded to max RAM with a 128GB SSD boot drive, a USB 2.0 PCI card, and a 2.0GHz Newertech CPU. I have since added a Radeon 9600XT, a SATA PCI card, and a 1TB WD Black HDD. I figure I have about $400 in it. It's a machine I love and get a lot of use out of though, so it's worth it to me.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I don't know if there's such a thing as spending too much on a PPC, provided you can afford it. By this forum's standards, I overpaid pretty badly for both my PowerBooks, but I got exactly what I wanted when I wanted them. I don't think I spent too much on them considering it's what I wanted.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 6.36.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 6.36.36 PM.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 90

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I think all DVD drives can read DL disks but only DL drives can burn DL disks.

I have owned DVD Burners for both PC and Macs and i have yet to find one that cant burn DL. Even the SuperDrive i got for my eMac burns DL so does the SuperDrive that is in my PowerMac

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Dual/Double Layer Super Drive

To expound a little bit further, it's the acronym that many of us use to refer to the last generation(late 2005) 15 and 17" Powerbook G4s. A1138 and A1139 are the respective model numbers of these. Apple used the inclusion of a Double Layer Super Drive(able to burn double layer DVDs) as the defining characteristic, but they had several other features that made them noteworthy and make them desirable for the Powerbook enthusiasts here(myself included).

They switched over to using DDR-2 PC2-4200, and upped the corresponding system bus speed. In my experience, they are the fastest "feeling" G4 based computers around(at least in stock Apple configuration) and I think this has a lot to do with it.

Finally, the display resolution was increased substantially over previous models. From the first TiBooks to the early '05 Powerbooks, the 15" models had a screen resolution of 1280x854. The 17" models had 1440x900 screens. The last generation models increased this to 1440x968 on the 15"(giving basically the same working area as the previous 17") and increased the 17" to 1680x1050.

For a comparison-the all the(Intel) Macbook models, as well as the 13" Macbook pro(still in production) have a screen resolution of 1280x800, or about the same amount of working area as the pre-DLSD 15" Powerbooks. The standard resolution 15" Macbook Pro kept a screen resolution of 1440x900 up until they were discontinued in 2012(although could be ordered with an optional 1680x1050 screen). The 17" Macbook Pro kept the same 1680x1050 screen through most of the pre-Unibody era(although could be optionally upgraded to 1920x1200).

The screen, IMO, is probably the main reason why the late models are so desirable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have spent less money than I wanted to and more time than I should have.

Favorites:

PowerMac G4 Quicksilver
17" PowerBook G4 1.0Ghz

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
correct me if i am wrong but aren't ALL DVD Burner drives capable of burning and reading Dual Layer discs?

Reading - Yes
Writing - No

Dual layer writing is pretty much standard now as drives are insanely cheap new. When it was new technology Dual Layer burners and DVD-RAM added to the cost quite considerably. I paid £120 for an early single layer DVD-RW, dual layer ones were a lot more expensive, as was the DL media. Now a drive that does everything is £15...

Oddly the Intel MacBook Pro that replaced bunnspecials PowerBook regressed to a single layer DVD burner.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The most money I've probably spent on a machine is my gaming rig. I'm always upgrading it stupidly to squeeze out dem grafix and fps.

My iMac G4 is the only machine I'm prepared to spend any amount of money on to keep it working, but I haven't had to. Other than the RAM which I maxed out to 1GB in about 2008ish, I haven't spent a penny on it. I know the HDD is on its way out so I guess as soon as that dies I'll be buying it an SSD or something.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The most I've ever spent is $45... Just to get my iBook G4. I have never spend a dime on any of my PowerPC computers other than the iBook, because I got each of them for free! And I don't really have any money at the moment to spend on a new graphics card for my G5, or anything for that matter.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The most I've ever spent is $45... Just to get my iBook G4. I have never spend a dime on any of my PowerPC computers other than the iBook, because I got each of them for free! And I don't really have any money at the moment to spend on a new graphics card for my G5, or anything for that matter.

That tends to slow the upgrade cycle, just ask my poor Jeep :D

I tend to upgrade in fits and starts and once done sell and start a new project because I enjoy the ride more than the destination because of that I simply don't keep track.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
I only have two (beige G3 and G4 Mini) PPC computers and I haven't spent much on them at all.

The Mac Mini could probably use a larger hard drive but I'm not in a hurry for that.

The beige G3 is fine as a Mac OS 9 machine and I'm satisfied with its fast ethernet card and 40 GB hard drive. I forget how much RAM I have in my G3. I don't think it really needs anything else for what I use it for.

Last edited:

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Roadbloc: I, like you, have not HAD to spend a dime. Unfortunately my PowerMac I'll have to but my eMac has be strong since the day i got it and It has been my Daily Driver from Around July 2012 (Bought it in Feburary 2012) to about May of 2014 (until I replaced it with a FREE PC that has now died) I have been using the eMac again since January of this year.

The only thing my eMac needs is 2GB or RAM. My Power Mac will need 1GB of RAM, Graphics Card, SATA Card, AirPort Card and SATA HDDs

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
My most indulgent PPC is my G5 quad, but like most other hobby related purchases, once I make up my mind that i want something then 'cost' never deters me.
Living in western Canada, and add to that on an island away from the mainstream does tend to incur additional expenses, but what the hell, you only get to live once.
Also, the price shown is US dollars, not shown was the Canadian conversion...

Second to that one is my recent $46 12" PowerBook purchase, which by the time it was delivered cost the best part of $80 Canadian.
I really enjoy both of these units and have no regrets whatsoever over buying them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-02-12 at 9.05. AM.png
    Screenshot 2015-02-12 at 9.05. AM.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 107

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
I've spent too much on my Mac collection. I can't remember exactly how much, but here are ballpark figures:

G5
DP 2.5 - Free. Inoperable when acquired with a lot of other G5s. Was able to piece together a working tower.
DP 2.0 - $80 including shipping.
DP 2.3 - Wound up free because the case was damaged in shipping. Repaired case and made it look pretty again.

G4
Quicksilver 933, DP 450 Gigabit, DP 500 Gigabit, 450 Sawtooth, and 2 x 17" Cinema Displays were acquired in a lot for $75.00. Sold the Sawtooth and made my money back.

DP 1.25 (FW800) - $60. Added two Superdrives (DVR-108) from parts G5 towers and replaced CPU and PS fans (an additional $30).

MDD 2003 - $60. No real use for it yet, but since it's the last and one of the fastest Macs that can boot OS 9, I couldn't pass it up.

The Cube was an eBay purchase that I won for about $75 including shipping. Cube and power supply only. Purchased pro speakers from another eBay seller and he threw in a parts Cube that included a 1.5 GHz processor upgrade.

3 x eMac 1.42 - $60 total, maybe? Two have Superdrives and 160 GB hard drives.

eMac 1.25 - $50 eBay purchase. Listed has having no hard drive. Took it apart to find that it actually had the stock hard drive installed, just no OS. Superdrive and 160 GB hard drive.

Mac Mini 1.5 GHz - $65 eBay purchase. Upped the RAM to 1 GB and installed MorphOS.

G3
iMac 600 MHz Graphite - $40, purchased over two years ago.
B&W 350 rev.2 - $90 including shipping. Arrived with damaged handles, so $40 refunded to purchase replacement handles. Found matching Apple CRT monitor that I paid $40 + shipping for. I had to have a matching set.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The most ive spent was $40 on a late model Emac. I feel like i overpaid a bit as it did not come with a keyboard or a mouse. The guy i bought it from was asking $60 but i got him to $40. The problem with the Emac was it wouldnt boot. This model was a 1.42Ghz, 256mb, 80Gb Hard drive, Combo drive, Airport.

The guy was a hoarder and when i tried getting the Emac cheaper he said "He has the files on a flash drive and he was going to fix it and then sell it for $100" When i asked him why it wouldnt boot and maybe the drive is going he replied with "The system must have corrupted somehow, but the hard drive is spinning and working. I used to own a computer shop i know the drive is good"

Ironically after i brought it home upgraded the RAM intalled Leopard, not too long the drive wasnt spinning any longer.

Did i pay too much? this was summer 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.