Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevenm5781

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2023
It seems DFS (Distributed file system) is broken. Unable to traverse a DFS namespace. Anybody else experiencing this?

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
It seems DFS (Distributed file system) is broken. Unable to traverse a DFS namespace. Anybody else experiencing this?
I have an issue with Time Machine over SMB in Sonoma. The existing Time Machine backup drive (NAS share) didn’t work after the upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma. After I unmounted the NAS SMB share, Sonoma couldn’t re-mount it. The process would hang. I had to manually mount the same network share via AFP and then choose it as a Time Machine backup drive. That worked fine. So, the default network protocol for Time Machine backups in Sonoma (SMB) doesn’t work in 14.0

mswalt

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
We're seeing this too. We can mount DFS shares (smb://) in Finder but then clicking into any directory times out. The main DFS share we connect to is hosted on a Windows AD server and the subdirectories are links to Netapp shares.

Strangely we can mount the same DFS share and traverse directories if we do it from Terminal and use a mount point in the logged-in user's home directory. Maybe a permission thing?

haritz85

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
Hi,
I opened a ticket to Apple from my enterprise portal. It seems that the issue will be fixed in the next beta release.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Not again. SMB was broken in Ventura for months.

dan_h

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2023
can anyone confirm SMB shares access via network users (LDAP authentication) is working on Sonoma? Can access via local user accounts, but not network accounts.

dieselm

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Connecting to SMB Shares from iPadOS, iOS, tvOS would not connect and time out on 14.0.

14.1 fixes it.

jeabraham

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
I can't connect to linux SMB shares running Version 4.3.11-Ubuntu, but I can connect to shares running Version 4.15.13-Ubuntu.

Exdroid

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2019
I can’t connect to SMB servers as well despite updating to 14.1. Any fixes anyone?

Mikado

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2023
It's broken on Sonoma 14.1.2 as well. Cannot connect to the time machine folder on my Synology 923+ but an older Macbook I have that's still on 14.0 connects with no issues. I'm waiting to hear back from Synology support for a fix (I hope)

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
i still have this problem with 14.2...

I am using a QNAP NAS for years now, without changing the settings on the NAS I can not connect via finder & smb any longer. The connection dialogue shows all network share, so it somehow can connect and when selecting a share it says "the original object could not be found" (translated from the German text). When mounting via terminal it works as expected.

For now I am using afp, at least that works without any problems.

This whole SMB situation is a mess since Apple decided to implement their own version of it.

Quartermarsh

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2016
fwiw a hacky workaround for sonoma (and ventura) which has worked on two machines with network shares to synology tm backups via smb:

1. add them to login items to ensure that they mount on boot.

2. run caffeinate to make sure they stay mounted.

of course, ymmv (did I mention it was a hacky workaround?)

Reactions: lava_epochal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.