Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

171547-Blood-Drive-128.gif
MacRumors is pleased to announce the MacRumors Blood Drive during the months of May and June 2010. We encourage our readers to donate blood at any collection center, then let us know so we can offer well-deserved congratulations. Our goal is to increase the number of blood donations by people in the Mac community.

Most blood drives are specific to a physical organization at a particular location. Ours is online and worldwide. We call on our forum members and site visitors to help people in need of blood in their own communities. If you are eligible to donate blood you can go to any blood collection center (hospital, community center, Red Cross location, etc.) near you. Our effort is not related to a particular event; donated blood is needed every second, all year, by people recovering from accidents or illness, and only the generosity of others can provide it. Specific eligibility requirements for blood donation vary by country. The minimum age is 16, 17, or 18 depending on where you live.

Please join us in showing the spirit of the Mac Community. Details are in the MacRumors Blood Drive discussion thread.

MacRumors has not made a community service effort like this before and we hope we are successful in getting more people in the habit of donating blood. Our grassroots effort depends on you to give one hour of your time for a very good cause.

Apple's health and relief efforts over the years have included donations for 9/11 workers in 2001, the Songs for Sudan effort in 2004, (PRODUCT) RED iPods since 2006, and help for Haitian earthquake victims this past January.

Article Link: MacRumors Blood Drive

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I'm not allowed to donate -- spent too much time in the United Kingdom and so the Red Cross fears that I may be a carrier of NVCJ, aka mad cow disease.

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Wow!

What an incredibly great idea.

Count me in! Even though needles make me go:eek:

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Awesome cause! I'll be doing this! My mother had to get a blood transfusion a month ago and I've been meaning to give blood ever since. :)

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
I think I've been eligible to redonate for a month now, I should get on top of that. Then what do we do, just send you a photo of us with the needle in our arm and we'll get our name added to a running list of donators?

-Brian

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Good on you, MacRumors.

Windows users need not apply. We don't need any viruses. Just kidding!

iMike360

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I've donated 3 times this year and I'm already signed up for June with Canadian Blood Services. Proud Blood Donor.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What a great idea, Macrumors! Best of luck on your goals.

I'm not allowed to donate -- spent too much time in the United Kingdom and so the Red Cross fears that I may be a carrier of NVCJ, aka mad cow disease.

My wife's in the same boat. She finds it very frustrating.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
This is Awesome! Great idea Arn. So good to see a community effort and I will be happy to give blood (and hopefully not almost pass out this time :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Then what do we do, just send you a photo of us with the needle in our arm and we'll get our name added to a running list of donators?
We're using the MacRumors 2010 Blood Drive! thread to track donations by forum members. A photo with your post-donation bandage will be good enough and won't scare people who don't like to see needles -- including many regular blood donors!

There's also the Give Blood! thread with a poll about blood type and a discussion we've been having for years about blood donation issues, including the controversies about the eligibility requirements. Forum user ShaunPriest, who started the Give Blood! thread, was the one who suggested our current blood drive.

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
While this is a good cause, I see a bad joke coming....

Before any troll posts, I will squash it now.. This is macrumors sponsoring, not Apple so no jokes about.....

"Geez Apple already has my cash, now they want my blood too."

There, cause in a website like this - you know this would eventually appear. So squashed even before it starts.

I don't think I am eligible to give blood, since I am on a number of blood thinners.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, my friends and I had a really bad experience back in highschool giving blood. I won't go into the details as I don't want to scare people away from doing it, because it's usually fine. Just make sure the person taking the blood isn't a complete moron. But personally, I now have a huge fear of it (as do my friends) and sadly will probably never do it again because of some idiots.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
No way am I giving blood !

Any specific reason? Creeped out by it, afraid of it, or is there some other reason? It's a safe procedure, there are safeguards in place to make sure it's safe for a given individual to donate. I think I've donated something like 1 1/2 gallons over time. I think I was turned away once, but they still let me have juice and cookies. I haven't seen a clinic in my area in some time, I wonder what's up with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.