Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with ColorWare to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a set of custom-painted AirPods that have been designed to look like a classic Macintosh.

The AirPods Retro case has been painted a soft beige shade that matches the design of Apple's earliest computers, with gray lines representing faux vents. There's also a rainbow colored button at the back that mimics the classic rainbow-colored Apple logo, and an all-over matte finish.

colorwareairpodsretro.jpg

ColorWare has painted the AirPods themselves a nice matching beige color, for an overall look that's sleek and a throwback to the early Apple design language all at once.

AirPods Retro, priced at $399, aren't cheap, but you're not going to find AirPods that look like this anywhere else. These are also a limited edition from ColorWare and won't be available to purchase for long.

colorwareairpodsretro2-800x611.jpg

ColorWare has been offering custom-painted electronic accessories for years now and has established itself as a company that offers impeccable quality thanks to years of experience perfecting the painting process.

ColorWare uses a coating process that includes a primer, an application of a proprietary color formula, and an X2 liquid plastic coating that protects the new color for all of its AirPod paint jobs, and speaking of other paint jobs, ColorWare also offers custom AirPod painting in a range of colors. Pricing for a custom paint job starts at $299, and ColorWare is now one of the only companies offering custom AirPod painting.

colorwaremulticolored-800x519.jpg

Because ColorWare is using traditional AirPods for the Retro AirPods paint job, full AirPods functionality is intact, with a W1 chip for easy pairing, a long battery life, a built-in accelerometer for ear detection, iCloud support for quick device switching, and support for gestures.

We have one set of AirPods Retro to give away to a MacRumors reader. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winner(s) and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (August 10) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on August 17. The winner will be chosen randomly on August 17 and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before a new winner is chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win AirPods Retro From ColorWare

Reactions: ronntaylor

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
Man the textured finish on those AirPods looks SWEET! I have entered the drawing and am keeping my fingers crossed that my name gets drawn!

Reactions: riverfreak

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
$400? These look pretty cool I guess but not $400 cool. There must be a market out there because colorware keeps doing these types of skins but this seems.....exorbitant. Personally I think I might pay 30-50 dollars more for this but this seems a bit much.

JSWC: I definitely entered

Last edited:
Reactions: Drogba11

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I do have to say, these look kind of awesome - not only the retro tie-in, but one of the few things I dislike about the AirPods is, whenever I see someone with them, they really really stand out, with their blinding pure white finish. I'd be happier to have some if they didn't attract attention to themselves so much. (I'm a little surprised Apple hasn't offered them in black yet, but the ones I'd really like from Apple would be something like a 50% gray, not too bright, not too dark, to draw less attention to themselves).

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
(I'm a little surprised Apple hasn't offered them in black yet, but the ones I'd really like from Apple would be something like a 50% gray, not too bright, not too dark, to draw less attention to themselves).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but... I doubt this "less attention drawing" set of AirPods will ever happen. Apple loves the brand recognition and attention the brightly-colored AirPods gives them. Much in the same way the white, wired Apple earbuds were instantly recognizable in the iPod's heyday.

Why would Apple ruin free advertising for themselves?

Reactions: ronntaylor

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I do have to say, these look kind of awesome - not only the retro tie-in, but one of the few things I dislike about the AirPods is, whenever I see someone with them, they really really stand out, with their blinding pure white finish. I'd be happier to have some if they didn't attract attention to themselves so much. (I'm a little surprised Apple hasn't offered them in black yet, but the ones I'd really like from Apple would be something like a 50% gray, not too bright, not too dark, to draw less attention to themselves).
Sooooooo... one of the 50 Shades of Space Gray.:D

Reactions: CarlJ

Pushpaw

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015

Space Gray. Space Freaking Gray. C'mon Apple, I really like my AirPods but I'd like them more if they matched my iPhone, my iPad, etc.

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Space Gray. Space Freaking Gray. C'mon Apple, I really like my AirPods but I'd like them more if they matched my iPhone, my iPad, etc.
I thought of saying Space Gray - that would make it easier for Apple to get on board - but Space Gray, as a whole is a rather darker color. Still, they haven't had problems with redefining that color name multiple times, so perhaps a lighter gray could fit under that umbrella with the rest.

And to the folks pointing out rightly that Apple likes the attention that white draws, yes, they do, until something gets established. They didn't mind (eventually) offering the iPod in most of the colors of the rainbow.
[doublepost=1533931371][/doublepost]
Sooooooo... one of the 50 Shades of Space Gray.:D
I see what you did there — well played, sir!

Reactions: 69Mustang

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Pretty sweet looking. Love the retro look. For the same reasons I love seeing Nintendo Wii U’s, Pro Controllers or Switches modded to have the NES, SNES and GameCube design styles. There’s a guy on Instagram @doylescustoms that does this and it makes me salivate with nostalgia.

glowplug

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2017
Would be so cool if Apple licensed this from the creators and made it a real thing (real for everyone).

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
I predict Apple will eventually have AirPod colors to match iPhones. Once prices come down, probably with the iPhone X line with AirPods included with larger capacities.

I recently won the Choetech wireless charger and several MR readers have reported that they've won; some have even included links to their winning prizes.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

After Tim Cook’s last White House meeting, maybe it’ll be Space Force Gray!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.