Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Anki to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win one of the company's adorable little Vector robots, which designed to be a personal robot companions that are fun for the whole family.

Vector is an autonomous, cloud-connected robot that's eager to entertain, interact with you, and answer questions on a range of topics with the "Hey Vector" trigger word, much like Siri, Cortana, or Alexa.

vector1.jpg

Priced at $249.99, Vector is a palm-sized robot equipped with small front display that allows Vector to express his endearing personality. Vector's body is filled with a host of sensors, including an HD camera designed to let Vector see the world around him.

vectordesign.jpg

Vector can navigate spaces, learn what's around him, recognize people's faces and remember them, and take photographs. A four-microphone array lets him listen for questions and commands, and there are built-in touch sensors and an accelerometer that allow Vector to feel touch and detect when he's picked up.

A high-powered processor lets Vector answer your questions and process the environment around him, and he has his own unique voice and language. Vector can provide the weather, solve equations, offer up word definitions, answer pop culture questions, and more.

vectorcube2.jpg

Vector can do tricks like wheelies or he can play with an included cube, and there's an interactive game of blackjack available. We reviewed Vector earlier this year and loved his personality. Vector isn't as smart as Siri or Alexa just yet, but he's a fun home addition that's more of a pet or a friend than a toy.

vectorwheelie.jpg

Starting in December, Alexa integration is being added to Vector, which will make the robot even more useful.

You can get Vector from the Anki website or Amazon.com, but we have one to give away. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, following us on Instagram, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (December 7) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on December 14. The winner will be chosen randomly on December 14 and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before a new winner is chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a Vector Robot From Anki

Reactions: AngerDanger

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'll take a shot at winning one, but I don't think I'd ever buy one. I'm not sure what I'd do with it. It's a cute toy that might distract me for an hour or two, but I can't see any long-term use for it. Its usefulness is limited in that, unlike my phone, I wouldn't be carrying it around with me all the time.

Reactions: nekonokami

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Priced at $249.99, Vector is a palm-sized robot equipped with small front display that allows Vector to express its endearing personality. Vector's body is filled with a host of sensors, including an HD camera designed to let Vector see the world around it.
Vector can navigate spaces, learn what's around it, recognize people's faces and remember them, and take photographs. A four-microphone array lets it listen for questions and commands, and there are built-in touch sensors and an accelerometer that allow Vector to feel touch and detect when it's picked up.
A high-powered processor lets Vector answer your questions and process the environment around it, and it has its own unique voice and language. Vector can provide the weather, solve equations, offer up word definitions, answer pop culture questions, and more.
Vector can do tricks like wheelies or it can play with an included cube, and there's an interactive game of blackjack available. We reviewed Vector earlier this year and loved its personality. Vector isn't as smart as Siri or Alexa just yet, but it's a fun home addition that's more of a pet or a friend than a toy.

Fixed
He=it
he's=it's
him=it
his=its

It is a "machine", it has no conscience, it is not human.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is one of those things that I'd never actually buy but would love to have, lol. It would be fun to have a little guy driving around my desk at work during the day. I'd give it to my kids but they would probably break it inside 5 minutes. My daughter loves robots though so I will probably buy the cheaper version for her for Christmas someday when she is older. Really she would probably be fine with it but I worry more about her little brother chucking it across the room.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
This is one of those things that I'd never actually buy but would love to have, lol. It would be fun to have a little guy driving around my desk at work during the day.

...for about 2 weeks until it goes into the drawer also known as the "cemetery of tech", together with your cellphone VR googles, playstation accessories, compact/DSLR-cameras and mini drones.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
...for about 2 weeks until it goes into the drawer also known as the "cemetery of tech", together with your cellphone VR googles, playstation accessories, compact/DSLR-cameras and mini drones.
Nah, then my kids get it. Also I'm a photographer (among other things) so the camera and drones will never be in the cemetery of tech, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.