Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Fuse to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a Side Winder, which is an accessory that's designed to let you quickly and easily wind up your MacBook charger's cord.

The reel design of the Side Winder lets you carry a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air Power Adapter, cord, and extension cable in a neat, compact package with no tangles and no hassle, making it ideal for use at home, when traveling, at work, and everywhere else in between.

sidewindermessycable-800x538.jpg

With a traditional Power Adapter and cable setup, you may try winding the cord and the extension cable up around the adapter itself, but it's unwieldy and the cable never stays in place, which is the problem that the Side Winder aims to solve.

Side Winder is compatible with all 45W, 60W, 61W, 85W, and 87W MacBook Pro and Air chargers, with both MagSafe 1 and 2 and USB-C versions available. The MagSafe versions are available for $29.99, while the USB-C version is $33.99. The USB-C model includes a USB-C cord, but neither model includes a power adapter or extension cable.

sidewinderdesign-800x534.jpg

Once the Side Winder is in place with the Power Adapter in the center and the cables positioned properly, winding up a cable is done with a simple twist of the top piece. When needed, you can pull as much cable out as you need to reach a power outlet, and then later, wind it back up again.

sidewinderunwinding-800x534.jpg

According to Fuse, it takes less than six seconds to fully wind a cable using the Side Winder, and it offers protection against cable damage and fraying by preventing stress at weak points.

sidewindermacbook-800x534.jpg

In addition to this week's giveaway, Fuse is also offering a 10 percent off discount code and free shipping on the Side Winder for MacRumors readers. Just use this link to make a purchase.

We have 15 Side Winders to give away to MacRumors readers. To enter to win the giveaway, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (June 22) at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time on June 29. The winners will be chosen randomly on June 29 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a 'Side Winder' Cable Wrangler for MacBook Pro or MacBook Air From Fuse

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Looks cool! Why can't Apple include something like this out of the box, especially considering what they charge for power adapters! Glad a company has stepped up to offer this. Not sure I move my cord enough to justify getting one but definitely would like one if I win.

EDIT: Please see counterpoints below which I hadn't considered.

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Looks cool! Why can't Apple include something like this out of the box, especially considering what they charge for power adapters! Glad a company has stepped up to offer this. Not sure I move my cord enough to justify getting one but definitely would like one if I win.

Looks cool but doesn’t solve the durability issue users have. It still puts strain on the thin cable when it winds up. So instead of being able to see a fray and electrical short, it’s now hidden and will conceal a nice fire hazard.

Reactions: djbuddha and nvmls

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Wind-up cables have been around many years. I personally don't like them because the strain on the cable as it is pulled out can shorten the life of that cable. I don't know if this is any better with a larger reel.

Reactions: djbuddha

evil0ne

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
I need a solution like this for keeping my earbuds tidy. Any suggestions?

AirPods
[doublepost=1529717696][/doublepost]I bought these on KickStarter. I waited forever to get my two and stopped using them after two days. Free to whoever wants to cover shipping.

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
after seeing that device I just can't help to remember what Luke Skywalker told Han Solo the first time Luke saw the millennium falcon

"what a piece of junk"
thanks but I wouldn't take that even if you give to me for free
I will have more fun playing with a yoyo

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
AirPods
[doublepost=1529717696][/doublepost]I bought these on KickStarter. I waited forever to get my two and stopped using them after two days. Free to whoever wants to cover shipping.
AirPods won’t work with my Switch. I want one set of headphones that work with all my devices.

Also, your post doesn’t seem to have a link in it at all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.