Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agpol07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
I've created some rules on Gmail, where, when an email matches some conditions, it skips the inbox and applies a Label (folder). Basically, mail is being archived with a Label.

As an Android user for many years, I was using AquaMail, in which I was able to have push notifications for whichever Label (folder) I wanted.

Now on iOS, I haven't found a mail app that sends push notifications for Labels (folders) but only for main inbox.
Does anyone know how could I have push notifications for mails that go directly to a Label?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
As far as "push" goes…for a regular Gmail account it's not possible with the iOS Mail app as you can only set a "Fetch" interval.

If that's what you expect or if you have a paid Gmail account with push (Exchange) you can try this:

In iOS Mail, add the pertinent folders to the top area (Favorites) of the "Mailboxes" list. In Settings>Mail>Notifications>Customize Notifications>Favorite Mailboxes set Alerts ON and pick a sound.

Then hope it works. Seems to.

agpol07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Very nice approach, but unfortunately I have a regular Gmail account, so it didn't work..
Thanks for your reply.

agpol07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
I want notifications from "pushed" mails.
So, no "push", no notifications, too.

agpol07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Finally, it works as you said.
There is no push, not even for the main inbox, but after some time it fetches the mails for all the Favorite mailboxes, with notifications but no badges..

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
That's right…Gmail's not going to push until you pay for it. And, as you say, no badges on the Mail icon…and who knows why it has to be like that.

I suppose you could look for one of those email applications that is tied to a service that checks (frequently) and stores your Gmail (doing who really knows what with it) and then "pushes" it to you immediately (faster than iOS Mail's fetch)…and has the added feature you desire of notifying you of new emails in other folders. Such a service would also be relaying your outgoing email through their servers.

I don't know of one that does the folder thing…maybe someone else does.

You could transition to a free Outlook.com account and set it up as Exchange. Then your mail would "push" and everything else would work as you have seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.