Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I'm not getting Mail notifications on the lock screen. I can hear the mail arrival tone, and the screen lights up, but nothing on the lock screen. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Reactions: iPhonetherefore

MilesF101

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Same problem here. I've tried deleting the account and adding it again. Tried turning the notifications on and off. Still no luck.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Same problem here. I've tried deleting the account and adding it again. Tried turning the notifications on and off. Still no luck.
Me too, I even set the banner state as Persistent, instead of temporary, and still nothing. Not a single mail notification on the lock screen.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
My dad had this problem (with iOS 10). He had accidentally turned on Do not Disturb. Check that setting?

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Same was happening to me. I fixed it (at least for now)by toggling mail under my accounts off and then back on. It was working fine on my gmail but not my exchange.

shelt

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2007
NorCal
I think the issue on Apple Mail app/lock screen is that all notifications are immediately moved to "earlier today" and never appear on or light up the main lock screen. Other mail apps work correctly, ironically. You can see new Mail notifications by swiping up on the lock screen...

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Mine was working fine. I have Yahoo and Gmail thru the Mail app. Now all of the sudden no notifications, and if I get a notification no sound. Not sure why this is happening.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Well, is working now. I simply turned off Mail on all my accounts, and turned back on. For a moment I was worried, since I started getting sounds only, and not even the screen lit up, but then I realized that when I turned Mail off, the notifications were turned off completely too, so I had to go back and turn them back on. I disabled "show in history", just in case, and enabled temporary badges. They are now appearing temporarily from the top of the screen, and they remain on the lock screen until I open or acknowledge them.

Last edited:
Reactions: danmart

techspinning

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
Well, is working now. I simply turned off Mail on all my accounts, and turned back on. For a moment I was worried, since I started getting sounds only, and not even the screen lit up, but then I realized that when I turned Mail off, the notifications were turned off completely too, so I had to go back and turn them back on. I disabled "show in history", just in case, and enabled temporary badges. They are now appearing temporarily from the top of the screen, and they remain on the lock screen until I open or acknowledge them.

Disabling Show in History fixed the issue for my Exchange account. iCloud account has been working fine.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
The notifications for new mails in Cover sheet/ History/ Notification centre appear only for the main Inbox folder, and not for any folder configured as favorite.
This happens for all types of mail accounts.
Anybody else also?

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Yeah same thing happened to me. I couldn’t get it working again no matter what I tried. So I removed the mail app and installed Yahoo and Gmail for now. Those come through just find.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Is your problem solved on iOS 11 Beta 2?

It fetches mail when I have it set to fetch (15 min intervals). But it is spotty at best. Sometimes it works. Other time times I could go for hrs without getting any notifications. Not sure if it is the iOS mail app, or yahoo and gmail.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
It fetches mail when I have it set to fetch (15 min intervals). But it is spotty at best. Sometimes it works. Other time times I could go for hrs without getting any notifications. Not sure if it is the iOS mail app, or yahoo and gmail.
I am still facing problem on iOS 11 Beta 2.

I am not getting notifications for new mails which are received in any of the folders configured as favorites. There is no Banner appearing and nothing shows in Notification centre/ History or Lock Screen.
The notifications, however, do come for new mails received in main Inbox folder as expected normally.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I am still facing problem on iOS 11 Beta 2.

I am not getting notifications for new mails which are received in any of the folders configured as favorites. There is no Banner appearing and nothing shows in Notification centre/ History or Lock Screen.
The notifications, however, do come for new mails received in main Inbox folder as expected normally.

Yeah what I have to do is manually retrieve my email thru the app. Or revert to the yahoo and gmail official apps. Which work fine in iOS 11. But I prefer to use the iOS mail app, cause I am used to using that app.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Yeah what I have to do is manually retrieve my email thru the app. Or revert to the yahoo and gmail official apps. Which work fine in iOS 11. But I prefer to use the iOS mail app, cause I am used to using that app.
But I am able to retrieve the mails automatically as per fetch schedule.
The issue is that there is no notification showing even if the mail has been retrieved in any favorited folder.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
But I am able to retrieve the mails automatically as per fetch schedule.
The issue is that there is no notification showing even if the mail has been retrieved in any favorited folder.

Hmm... I am having more issues than you. I am using a 10.5 iPad Pro, and an iPhone 7 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.