Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
I bought 10.2 on the education discount. I put the disc in my ibook and later my g4 tower and both times, the disc was wack. By wack, i mean that the disc was super slow in loading up the list of disc contents, and when I click on a subfolder, the system hangs four 1-2 minutes, finally revealing the contents of the disc. When I reboot with the c key down, i get nothing.

Normally, i would consider this my problem, but with two computers that read other discs correctly, i have to wonder, has anyone else seen this? I am missing something?

Please help if you can.

thanks

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
thanks...
disc one seems to be incomplete. my comps dont always recognize it.

my ibook will get to the point where system prefs locate the disc as a startup option, i reboot, then i get the apple logo with a spinning icon. this lasted about 5 minutes. my drive sounded like it was looking for something, so i gave up. should i have hung in there longer?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You have a local Apple Store or Apple Reseller/Repair nearby (or the store you bought it from)? I'd try to get it replaced, because it sounds like you got a bad copy.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
While I would have let it go for longer (it has to boot a partial OS X from the CD, you know), I think its probably that you just got a bum CD. Mine took a little while, but not an excessively long time. I'd try to give it at least ten minutes.

If it is bad, I'd tell you to try and return it, but you got it pseudo mail order and that might be difficult. I'd find a way to get another copy. Return it. Get a backup copy from someone else (you paid for it, right??). Just get another copy.

Taft

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
you should try one last time before you go back to the Apple store saying that it's broke. if you go in there & they make it work first go... you'll be deafened from the laughter.:D it always pays just to be sure.;) :)

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
Problem resolved

The problem solved itself. I kid you not, though, the disc was slow being read, and part of it looked different than the rest (i know this is vague). Each time I tried to read the disc, I was able to get a better response.

I know this sounds wacked, and you are probably thinking I was imagining this, but it was weird.

Thanks for your interest and support. That is what I love about this site.... the community feel.

By the way, Jaguar is worth every (academic) penny I paid for it.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
no no no... same thing happened to me.... same problem and same solution (ie, it solved itself)

i even told rower about it in a desperate attempt to figure it out..

mine worked to install. then it didn't work. had the slow ass folder opening thing. then tried it on my parents' imac and same thing. even crashed the finder a few times. was gonna exchange the disc (at jaguar release thing) but when i tried it on my bro's tibook it worked fine.... so i tried it the next day on my computer. everything was ok except that the disc wouldn't start up. it'd restart and boot from it, but it'd get stuck at the new startup spinning thing... indefinitely... over and over. finally it just worked... only thing i can figure is i used my parents' pro mouse rather than my kensington which might have done it. but who knows

so, you're not crazy, nor alone.... word up

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
no no no... same thing happened to me.... same problem and same solution (ie, it solved itself)

i even told rower about it in a desperate attempt to figure it out..

mine worked to install. then it didn't work. had the slow ass folder opening thing. then tried it on my parents' imac and same thing. even crashed the finder a few times. was gonna exchange the disc (at jaguar release thing) but when i tried it on my bro's tibook it worked fine.... so i tried it the next day on my computer. everything was ok except that the disc wouldn't start up. it'd restart and boot from it, but it'd get stuck at the new startup spinning thing... indefinitely... over and over. finally it just worked... only thing i can figure is i used my parents' pro mouse rather than my kensington which might have done it. but who knows

so, you're not crazy, nor alone.... word up

Vindication..... your story sounds quite familiar. I was so frustrated.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by buffsldr

Vindication..... your story sounds quite familiar. I was so frustrated.

yeah. i hear ya. to be so psyched for this great new os... then not have it work

i'm sure it's a bit less terrible than getting your new mac and having it not start... but it's up there.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.