Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Alright, here's what I've done so far.

>Installed Launcher8
>Installed Windows Phone Notifications
>Changed Boot Animation (It still shows Google initially, can't remove that apparently)
>WP7 contact lite installed
>Messaging7 installed
>WP7 Calculator installed

Things needed:
>Any good camera apps?
>Weather tile
>Gmail tile

That's about it, I know how to change the Status Bar and the media player, those are ones I'm going to have to buy. Of course, I'll do that -eventually-. And I'll be buying the non-lite versions of the others as well.

Edit: It'd also be nice to change the gallery app. I know there is no Bing maps. And ... Is there a way to make the on screen buttons the buttons you'd find on a Windows Phone?

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It seems you should just buy a Windows Phone at this point.
I've no experience with modifying Android but good luck to you.

Except I love having the good Google Apps experience. Google Hangouts? Keep? Drive? YouTube? There aren't any good apps for most of those, with the last likely being taken down because of a Cease and Desist letter.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Except I love having the good Google Apps experience. Google Hangouts? Keep? Drive? YouTube? There aren't any good apps for most of those, with the last likely being taken down because of a Cease and Desist letter.
Ah so you'd prefer a Windows Phone with support for Android apps? Kinda like how the Playbook supports some Android 2.3 apps or something?
Or you just want Android to LOOK like WP?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Ah so you'd prefer a Windows Phone with support for Android apps? Kinda like how the Playbook supports some Android 2.3 apps or something?
Or you just want Android to LOOK like WP?

I'd like to keep my Nexus, but have it look like Windows Phone. I doubt that Windows Phone will ever support Android apps, though that would be nice.

I'm content to have my phone have the Metro (or Modern, whatever) UI with some applications that fit that criteria as well.

Don't get me wrong, I had a Lumia 900 and it was awesome... but I love my Google services to death.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm not sure how well they would integrate with your existing launcher/WP themed apps but you should take a look at some of the designs over at mycolorscreen.com. There are some beautiful recreations of WP/Metro (for example) and many times the creators will provide the files needed to do it yourself.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
yep, you should buy a windows phone. havent converted any android phone into a windows phone.

Does Windows Phone play well with Google services yet? Hangouts, Keep, etc?

Or is Google still... being immature and stopping them?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
well if that's the issue, why not keep 2 phones?

Because I always pass on my electronic devices to a family member when I get a new one. It's how my less tech-focused family members even get things. They wouldn't buy them for themselves.

Also, never understood the idea of having two phones. It just seems like wasted money to me.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Google's lack of support on WP8 is why I had to leave my Lumia 920. I loved the phone, but there is very little hope Google will ever embrace the platform like they did with their iOS apps. It's a shame.

It's weird how MS pretty much just made Windows and Office for a long time, apple made computers and OSX, Google was entirely software based and pretty much was a search engine that evolved into Gmail and some other cloud services... Three really different companies that you would think could work well together, and now they are all competing in the smartphone market.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Google's lack of support on WP8 is why I had to leave my Lumia 920. I loved the phone, but there is very little hope Google will ever embrace the platform like they did with their iOS apps. It's a shame.

It's weird how MS pretty much just made Windows and Office for a long time, apple made computers and OSX, Google was entirely software based and pretty much was a search engine that evolved into Gmail and some other cloud services... Three really different companies that you would think could work well together, and now they are all competing in the smartphone market.

Well, not to too Microsoft's horn... but a lot of their software is on both iOS and Android. A lot of Google software is on iOS. It just seems like Google is purposefully shutting out Microsoft's mobile ventures. They're probably do the same with the desktop, but... well, they can't afford that.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Google wants to maintain the duopoly between iOS and Android, WP would cut from their market share, so they don't support it so people like the OP are forced to not use WP.

bean dip

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
Yep. What's funny is that if Microsoft blocked google services from their PCs everyone would cry foul. Funny how that works. Bullchit really.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Yep. What's funny is that if Microsoft blocked google services from their PCs everyone would cry foul. Funny how that works. Bullchit really.

It's not exactly blocking though, Google just isn't developing Google Apps for WP8, and the YouTube app Microsoft provided broke their terms & conditions (allows videos to be downloaded and skips ads)

And there would be almost no way for Microsoft to block really anything on Windows without removing major functionality. Mobile OSes are a lot different than PC OSes.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Well, not to too Microsoft's horn... but a lot of their software is on both iOS and Android. A lot of Google software is on iOS. It just seems like Google is purposefully shutting out Microsoft's mobile ventures. They're probably do the same with the desktop, but... well, they can't afford that.

I agree. Google has something against WP8, why I'm not sure. You would think a company like Google could afford to develop for it but they openly said they aren't going to. They develop for iOS, who is technically a competitor. So it's weird that WP8 was left with no Google apps. It's a shame, I really like the 920 but a lot of the work and school I do is much easier to do with Google in my pocket, which is why I went Android.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I'm not sure why everyone is saying get a windows phone. One of the reasons why users like android is that you can make it look like you want it.

To the OP, I think there's also a music player that makes it look like the windows music player

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'm not sure why everyone is saying get a windows phone. One of the reasons why users like android is that you can make it look like you want it.

To the OP, I think there's also a music player that makes it look like the windows music player

Yep, there's that and another status thing I need to purchase from the Google Play Store.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I believe this is what you're looking for.

Mostly, but that is lacking in camera and calendar apps. I actually started there, but I couldn't get a couple of the things to work right. I also need to buy those applications and pay for the non-lite versions like I said.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I agree. Google has something against WP8, why I'm not sure. You would think a company like Google could afford to develop for it but they openly said they aren't going to. They develop for iOS, who is technically a competitor. So it's weird that WP8 was left with no Google apps. It's a shame, I really like the 920 but a lot of the work and school I do is much easier to do with Google in my pocket, which is why I went Android.

Their reasons listed were "Windows Phone doesn't have a big enough marketshare to warrant developing for" which is a load of rubbish frankly, seeing as they made GMail, YouTube and Google Maps for WebOS.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Their reasons listed were "Windows Phone doesn't have a big enough marketshare to warrant developing for" which is a load of rubbish frankly, seeing as they made GMail, YouTube and Google Maps for WebOS.

Wait, they made a YouTube app for WebOS?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Wait, they made a YouTube app for WebOS?

Yep.

webos_2.0_features_youtube_1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.