Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a 2020 12.9” IPP. I have it plugged into a USB-C hub that also provides power to the tablet, so I can have the display projected onto an external screen. However, I’d prefer not to have the tablet being charged constantly while plugged in. Are there any software options to either slow down the charging speed or to disable the charging altogether. I don’t want to purchase another hub.

On my Android devices, you can modify the battery charging settings so that you can disable fast charging. I even maximize battery health further by ensuring that it is plugged into the lowest ampere charger that I’ve got so that it takes all night to charge. For those who are wondering, this is to minimize battery heat and maximize longevity.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a 2020 12.9” IPP. I have it plugged into a USB-C hub that also provides power to the tablet, so I can have the display projected onto an external screen. However, I’d prefer not to have the tablet being charged constantly while plugged in. Are there any software options to either slow down the charging speed or to disable the charging altogether. I don’t want to purchase another hub.

On my Android devices, you can modify the battery charging settings so that you can disable fast charging. I even maximize battery health further by ensuring that it is plugged into the lowest ampere charger that I’ve got so that it takes all night to charge. For those who are wondering, this is to minimize battery heat and maximize longevity.
There is such method though on iOS.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

There is nothing you can do, but fast charging is not an issue when the iPad is already at 100%, it will only trickle charge at best, the isssue for battery health is, rather, it being always at 100%. I don't know for how long you keep this set-up during the day, but again, there is nothing you can do. Disabling fast charging wouldn't change anything. Something like Samsung battery extender, that charges to 85% would instead allow you to keep it plugged in all the time without too much impact on battery health... But Apple does not offer it.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yah that's the problem. This device, being marketed as a laptop replacement, is going to have battery issues really quick. It's sitting at my desk plugged in for the typical 8 hour day.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
It might not be the exact solution you are looking for but here's what I did to prevent my iPad to stay at 100% charge all the time while plugged in; (AFAIK, there is no battery health management for iPads so I had to come up with my own)

I purchased one of those budget smart plugs with HomeKit support (to be exact; this one) and set it up as an HomeKit accessory. Power adapter of the iPad is plugged to this smart adapter. Then I created a personal automation in the "Shortcut" app on the iPad with the following 2 rules;

"When battery level rises above 80%. set smart plug to OFF"
"When battery level falls below 50%, set smart plug to ON"

This way, I am keeping the battery level always between these level of percentages. Theoretically, you are still cycling your battery but I believe it is better than just keeping it at 100% all times (see below Table 3 showing <80% capacity remaining after 1 year the battery is stored at 100% charged state)

You could even keep it between 65% and 75% and get the longest cycle life out of your batteries (see figure 6 here). I don't claim this way is the best thing to do, however based on my knowledge there is a chance this might be better than just keeping it plugged in and at 100% all the time. By the way, I am following the same for my iPhone 12 Pro - never charging it above 85% and never letting it go below 25%. Even though iOS has the battery health management, I just want to be in control of the management.

Source: batteryuniversity.com

DST-cycles-web2.jpg

Figure 6: Capacity loss as a function of charge and discharge bandwidth.*
Charging and discharging Li-ion only partially prolongs battery life but reduces utilization.

Case 1: 75–65% SoC offers longest cycle life but delivers only 90,000 energy units (EU). Utilizes 10% of battery.
Case 2: 75–25% SoC has 3,000 cycles (to 90% capacity) and delivers 150,000 EU. Utilizes 50% of battery. (EV battery, new.)
Case 3: 85–25% SoC has 2,000 cycles. Delivers 120,000 EU. Uses 60% of battery.
Case 4: 100–25% SoC; long runtime with 75% use of battery. Has short life. (Mobile phone, drone, etc.)

TABLE 3:

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 11.49.16 PM.png

Last edited:

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pretty good idea. Unfortunately, that would need the device to be plugged directly into the smart plug. I want to be plugged into the monitor for better ergonomics.

It might not be the exact solution you are looking for but here's what I did to prevent my iPad to stay at 100% charge all the time while plugged in; (AFAIK, there is no battery health management for iPads so I had to be creative a bit)

I purchased one of those budget smart plugs with HomeKit support (to be exact; this one) and set it up as an HomeKit accessory. Power adapter of the iPad is plugged to this smart adapter. Then I created a personal automation in the "Shortcut" app on the iPad with the following 2 rules;

This way, I am keeping the battery level always between these percentages. Theoretically, you are still cycling your battery but I thought it would be better than just keeping it at 100% all times (see below Table 3 - <80% capacity left after 1 year the battery is left at 100% charged state)

You could even keep it between 65% and 75% and get the longest cycle life out of your batteries (see figure 6 here). I am in no way to claim this is the right thing to do, however based on my knowledge there is a chance this might be better than just keeping it plugged in and at 100% all the time. By the way, I am doing the same for my iPhone 12 Pro - never charging it above 85% and never letting it go below 25%. Even though iOS has the battery health management, I just want to be in control.

View attachment 1700224

Charging and discharging Li-ion only partially prolongs battery life but reduces utilization.

Case 1: 75–65% SoC offers longest cycle life but delivers only 90,000 energy units (EU). Utilizes 10% of battery.
Case 2: 75–25% SoC has 3,000 cycles (to 90% capacity) and delivers 150,000 EU. Utilizes 50% of battery. (EV battery, new.)
Case 4: 100–25% SoC; long runtime with 75% use of battery. Has short life. (Mobile phone, drone, etc.)

TABLE 3:

View attachment 1700226

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It might not be the exact solution you are looking for but here's what I did to prevent my iPad to stay at 100% charge all the time while plugged in; (AFAIK, there is no battery health management for iPads so I had to come up with my own)

This way, I am keeping the battery level always between these level of percentages. Theoretically, you are still cycling your battery but I believe it is better than just keeping it at 100% all times (see below Table 3 showing <80% capacity remaining after 1 year the battery is stored at 100% charged state)

You could even keep it between 65% and 75% and get the longest cycle life out of your batteries (see figure 6 here). I don't claim this way is the best thing to do, however based on my knowledge there is a chance this might be better than just keeping it plugged in and at 100% all the time. By the way, I am following the same for my iPhone 12 Pro - never charging it above 85% and never letting it go below 25%. Even though iOS has the battery health management, I just want to be in control of the management.

View attachment 1700224

TABLE 3:

View attachment 1700226

Thank you for the very informative post!

The Shortcuts+smart plug is a very neat trick. Alas, that would require dedicating a specific charger to an iPad. I'll definitely set it up at the office since the iPad's always on desk. I don't see it working at home with a multi-room, multi-charger, multi-device scenario.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Thank you for the very informative post!

The Shortcuts+smart plug is a very neat trick. Alas, that would require dedicating a specific charger to an iPad. I'll definitely set it up at the office since the iPad's always on desk. I don't see it working at home with a multi-room, multi-charger, multi-device scenario.
Yes neat trick indeed. I’m thinking to buy couple of smart plugs for night time charging while I’m sleeping for my iPad and iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.