Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Thanks for the thoughts, but I think @Mr_Brightside_@'s suggestion is the best option.

There are a lot of things I'd have to tweak and unlock to set up Airdropping - I read one of the links above or wherever.

Also, if the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi pukes you could lose data, but I think using a wired connection and iTunes are more reliable.

And @Mr_Brightside_@ did show me a way to get a file transfer "headcount" and to basically confirm that all files got copied over, so he gets the prize this time! ;-)

Well, actually airdrop is simpler than finding that cable you left somewhere or was damaged by running over it with your chair, then connecting it and fussing with drag and drop (I've been there done that). Airdrop counts the number of files its sending and the receiving Mac with count the number of files it received (both display it, e.g. the phone will say sending 500 files, the Mac will say receiving 500 files). No need to count or bend over backwards finding file counts. It uses an ACK/NAK and checksum protocol such if any of the files burps or has an error, it will tell you which file was unsuccessful, or it may just stop and then its easy to tell which files were transferred. There is no setup with airdrop, at the phone you just share, pick the Mac you want to send the files to from a list and it just transfers the photos/videos, files. Initially you may have to click on the Mac's airdrop icon and respond to a prompt at the receiving Mac to indicate you trust your phone. Sounds like that fills all your squares, but perhaps you are just not all that comfortable with the convenience.... this is not the bluetooth of years ago. If your Mac still has rotational drives, there is no difference in transfer speed, if you've at least modernized to SSD, there may be a little difference. :) Sounds like you are more comfortable with hard cables, regardless, which is OK. We do know that transferring 1000 files via USB cable is pretty reliable, if slow.

Reactions: Texas_Toast

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
@ColdCase,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I should learn how to do airdrop in general.

As I get more comfortable using my iPhone, I will check out what you recommend above.

But for now, I think @Mr_Brightside_@'s solution suits me just fine.

Thanks for the additional approach, though! :)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Hi Texas I have done a short video for you that shows you the Airdrop Workflow - I think it is easier to use than to mess with iTunes. All Airdrop needs is Wifi and Bluetooth. You can configure it only allow connections to contacts only.

I have used Airdrop many times and never had a problem with it. After you have copied over all your files Filmic Pro remembers your selection so you just need to hit the delete key to delete them.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Hi Texas I have done a short video for you that shows you the Airdrop Workflow - I think it is easier to use than to mess with iTunes. All Airdrop needs is Wifi and Bluetooth. You can configure it only allow connections to contacts only.

I have used Airdrop many times and never had a problem with it. After you have copied over all your files Filmic Pro remembers your selection so you just need to hit the delete key to delete them.

Hi @James Craner.

As always, another very cool video tutorial!

When I have time I'll play around with Airdrop, but I still think the way @Mr_Brightside_@ showed me is much better. (Having to select hundreds of files in Filmic Pro's file listing would be very awkward and prone to errors in my opinion.)

We'll have to "agree to disagree" on this one! ;-)

Either way, I was inspired by your video - I gotta learn how to make those!! - and I appreciate your thoughts, as always. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.