Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Here's the picture:
SKPb9.jpg

I have a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter, which I plug into HDMI-DVI adapter, which goes into DVI-VGA adapter to which I have connected VGA cable from LG LCD screen.

MBP recognizes the external LCD LG screen fine, but the LG doesn't show any picture. I also tried with one other external VGA LCD screen. Same thing, no picture.

I know 100% that VGA cable, VGA-DVI adapter and MiniDisplay Port-HDMI adapter all work. I cannot test the HDMI-DVI adapter anywhere though. Could it be the problem? Or is just that it's too many adapters?

EDIT: Sorry for the huge picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
HDMI - Digital
VGA - Analog

It doesn't work because the signal from MBP is digital while your monitor uses analog input. You need mDP to VGA to make it work

jlw2387

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I found out the hard way as well, I had a mDP to DVI with a DVI to VGA converter, and had to go out and buy a mDP to VGA to make it work.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
DVI-D: digital
DVI-A: analog
DVI-I: DVI-D + DVI-A

So even if you have a DVI-I connector, if it's receiving only DVI-D on one side, and is expecting only DVI-A on the other (or vice-versa), nothing will be transmitted.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
works up to here:

MBP->MiniDisplayPort->Hdmi->DVI

DVI--> VGA doesn't work for the reasons listed above

you need a minidisplayport-->vga adapter

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Here's the picture:
SKPb9.jpg

I have a MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter, which I plug into HDMI-DVI adapter, which goes into DVI-VGA adapter to which I have connected VGA cable from LG LCD screen.

MBP recognizes the external LCD LG screen fine, but the LG doesn't show any picture. I also tried with one other external VGA LCD screen. Same thing, no picture.

I know 100% that VGA cable, VGA-DVI adapter and MiniDisplay Port-HDMI adapter all work. I cannot test the HDMI-DVI adapter anywhere though. Could it be the problem? Or is just that it's too many adapters?

EDIT: Sorry for the huge picture.

Holy adapters batman!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.