Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
my MBP 2016 13” touchbar model is now a nice cold chunk of aluminium for the second time in 6 months.

At the end of 2017 my MBP froze and upon turning it off decided it wouldn’t turn on again. Took it to apple and it was apparently motherboard failure of unknown cause. They successfully replaced the motherboard but I lost all my data in the process.

Well the exact same thing has just happened in the middle of a shift st work in which I was using it. There are no signs of life so I assume it is the same issue again.

I recently posted here about the “stage light” effect presumably due to some issues with the backlighting or at least the connections related to it, I don’t know if that’s likely to be relevant? Either way there is no sign at all of any power in the computer so it’s not just the screen.

Also no water damage etc I can think of.

I’m going to ask for a brand new machine this time.

Are there known issues with these computers?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The complaints you hear most often about the 2016 system centers around the keyboard. I have not seen an inordinate number of complete system failure postings.

I agree with your wanting a new machine. Something is off in that system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.