Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has announced it is rolling out a new project management and collaboration app called Planner to certain Office 365 subscribers for free from today.

Similar to Trello in concept, Planner enables users to organize projects into "buckets", or collections of tasks that can then be dragged and dropped between buckets in the project interface.

Planner has a marked emphasis on team collaboration: tasks can be assigned to individual team members and users can get a visual overview of task responsibilities, progress, and upcoming deadlines.

The company has been trialling the app through a select few customers since September, but the planned rollout "over the next several weeks" marks the app's official entrance into the standard Office suite of apps. It is available for eligible users with certain Office 365 Enterprise, Business Essentials, Premium, and Education subscriptions.

Existing Office users needn't do anything to access the app, as the tile should appear in the Office 365 launcher as soon as it becomes available.

In recent months Apple has been including a subscription option for Microsoft Office 365 in all iPad ordering processes on its website, a move that initially raised a few eyebrows, since Apple usually positions its iWork suite as a better alternative to Microsoft's Office apps.

Update: This article has been updated to note only certain subscription plans not including the Home subscription will receive access to the Planner app.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Trello-Like 'Planner' App for Some Office 365 Subscribers

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Where is it?
I subscribe office 365 enterprise E3.
No such tile in my app launcher.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
The home versions of O365 get virtually all products before the Enterprise.

Just checked and it's available in neither yet. The article does say it will appear at some point but doesn't mean it's already there.
Your admins may need to turn it on? I'll check when I get to work in the admin area.

Edit: Checked, no settings yet, guessing it will come with the June update?

Last edited:

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
This actually has me itching to sign up for 365. I had tried Trello and really liked the concept but a lack of integration and no native windows app doesn't do well in my workflow. I also gave OneNote a halfhearted shot but the lack of structure makes it feel like too much work.

If this Planner app integrates well with flagged emails and tasks in Outlook I might just bite. Wish I could run a demo...

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Going to take quite a bit to break me away from Asana. I will give it a try though.

bbaumgardner22

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2013
The home versions of O365 get virtually all products before the Enterprise.

Just checked and it's available in neither yet. The article does say it will appear at some point but doesn't mean it's already there.

It may take up to 24 hours to update your "waffle". In the meantime, try to go to tasks.office.com and log in.

If you still can't get in, go to this link (https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ecd-9b35-17b77998b420?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US) and get the preview going today.

Shing

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
The image associated with this article is misleading. Planner is not available for Office 365 Home. According to the Microsoft website, "Microsoft Planner is included with Office 365 Enterprise (E1, E3, E4, and E5), Office 365 Education (E1, E3, E4, and E5), Office 365 Business Essentials, and Office 365 Business Premium."

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Where is the Mac app? Where is the iOS app? Looks like a cool app but I don't understand why it's on Macrumors.

RedmondRebel

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016
OK if you want a Trello-clone, but what if you want to use Google Drive or Box and not just O365? And what if you have to scale up -- a real-life project will easily need 50-100 cards and maybe 10 people working, and neither Trello nor Planner will scale to that level easily. With Trello that's by design: Joel Spolsky doesn't believe boards should be big in the first place (he wrote a long blog about that some years ago), and with Planner you can't even assign a single card to more than one person.

My personal preference is for Kerika which lets me work with Scrum, Kanban and Whiteboards. And, I don't need O365 -- I signed up using my Google ID so I get all the cloud storage and apps for free.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Where is it?
I subscribe office 365 enterprise E3.
No such tile in my app launcher.
It takes time to show up as Microsoft are rolling it out to all business accounts over the next couple of months.

If you're in a hurry to use it (and are on one of the relevant plans), as previously suggested, visit tasks.office.com and leave the page open for a bit - it'll eventually refresh with the planner setup on your account. You can then create new plans and start adding tasks.

I suspect it'll be very useful for companies that are already using Office365 for email and storage, the integration just makes it a lot easier than dealing with separate applications, accounts and logins.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It takes time to show up as Microsoft are rolling it out to all business accounts over the next couple of months.

If you're in a hurry to use it (and are on one of the relevant plans), as previously suggested, visit tasks.office.com and leave the page open for a bit - it'll eventually refresh with the planner setup on your account. You can then create new plans and start adding tasks.

I suspect it'll be very useful for companies that are already using Office365 for email and storage, the integration just makes it a lot easier than dealing with separate applications, accounts and logins.
Well. Compare with that super expensive Project Professional, I would like to use some simple apps to create project, thus reducing running cost.
OK. If they need some time to roll out, I would wait. Not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.