Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Link to whole article

Extract:

Ending a longstanding tradition, Microsoft Corp. plans to stop using the word "my" as the default prefix for such folders as "My Documents," "My Music," "My Pictures" and others along those lines. Starting in the next Windows version, due out next year, folders will be known simply as "Documents," "Music," and so on.

Here is the line that grabbed my attention:

Jim Allchin said:
Anytime Microsoft does something, everybody wants to do it

I thought it was the other way around: Anytime anybody does something, Microsoft wants to do it.

At least now, switching from Longhorn to OSX ">insert name fo big cat here<" will be a little less confusing. ^_^

By the way, isn't Allchin the same guy that said that Panther/Tiger were copies of Longhorn?

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
i think that is kinda stupid. after you switch users and whatnot and have more than just an "admin" account, its a lot easier to have "my" folders instead of just a reg folder

for comp illiterate people, i just think its easier :)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Wow, Microsoft drops the "My" off of a folder or two and its news. Soon "Documents and Settings" will become "Home" and "Program Files" will become "Programs." :eek:

I think "My Documents" and "Documents and Settings" and "Program Files" are from back when Microsoft was throwing the fact that they now support spaces in their filenames in our faces. I remember back in the days where there was some stuff that had to be done in the dos shell and seeing

MICROS~1 <DIR>
MICROS~2 <DIR>
MICROS~3 <DIR>
MICROS~4 <DIR>

in the PROGRA~1 directory. Ugly ugly ugly. I remember one windows install I had I painstakingly tried to rid my system of all long file names because some of the programs I used didn't recognize them and I HATED that ~1 it would use to uniquely identify the file! Gahhh!

uh, end rant. Sorry guys. Get back to work!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
srobert said:
Nota: English is not my native language. Not sure I used "anybody does" correctly. Feel free to PM me to instruct me on correct grammatical use. Always willing to improve. ;)

"Spreakety the Lingety, eh?"
--Dr. Evil

Yes, you used the words correctly. Yes, Microsoft is going to rename Longhorn "Big Kitty" as their codename.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Next breakthrough from Redmond: the Programs folder is going to be renamed Applications and Control Panel being changed to System Preferences... ;) :p

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I think people realised that the "My" being referred to was actually Bill Gates, and not themselves. :p

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
srobert said:
....Ending a longstanding tradition, Microsoft Corp. plans to stop using the word "my" as the default prefix for such folders as "My Documents," "My Music," "My Pictures" and others along those lines. Starting in the next Windows version, due out next year, folders will be known simply as "Documents," "Music," and so on...

Could it just be recognition that when using Windows your documents are pretty much available to anyone through one of many security holes? ;)

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
The fËÇ?ing computer it mine!? Should I prefix EVERY SINGLE FILE with the word "My" on "My" Hard Drive?
Perhaps I'll go round and tag every single item I own with the word "My", even the paperclips!

A step in the right direction, but a small step down a long road with many-a-wind in it, that leads us to-ooo, where we-eee, belong... Mac OS X Tiger -Grrrr!

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
DavidLeblond said:
I think "My Documents" and "Documents and Settings" and "Program Files" are from back when Microsoft was throwing the fact that they now support spaces in their filenames in our faces.

Yup. And boy did it backfire. I run into programs that still can't handle being in "Program Files" because of the space in it. So instead of showing how they support spaces, it just keeps throwing in people's faces how difficult it is to use arbitrary names.

I can't wait until they rename the registry to Library, and trumpet how they were the first to use XML configuration files.

sonyrules

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2001
Ohio
WHAT?? Everytime Microsoft dos it, every one else follows????

Umm, lets review, They are just now taking the MY out of equation..

Lets review the attachment, I see no "MY" In any of the screen

Attachments

• screenshot_02.jpg
    screenshot_02.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 177

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
It truly is a freakshow in Redmond these days. They simply don't get it. Think I'll download OpenOffice tonight and rid myself. Should have done it a long time ago...

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Abstract said:
Microsoft Works used to make me feel like a fool.

That reminds me of the funniest thing that happened in school the other day.

My English teacher was trying to explain to us what an oxymoron is. So he said an example is "Microsoft Works". I thought that was funny.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"Ending a longstanding tradition, Microsoft Corp. plans to stop using the word "my" as the default prefix for such folders as "My Documents," "My Music," "My Pictures" and others along those lines"

I really think the reason that they removed the "My" from Documents, Music, and Pictures is because no matter the user profile (prom1 or bunny), and no matter the account type (administrator or user for either or both) your folders truely dont belong to you, its open to anyone logged in. This occurs even in WinXP Pro SP2 with ALL current updates as of todays date. Just go into My Computer, click on the C:\ drive, then Documents and Settings (thats an issue right there), then click on the user's folder (prom1 or bunny), then click on their "My Documents" folder and you have full access to everything in their, even to delete stuff. This is within a default installation, no registry crap hacks, just a simple users experience.

Is this fault present on a Mac??

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
srobert said:
Link to whole article

Extract:

Ending a longstanding tradition, Microsoft Corp. plans to stop using the word "my" as the default prefix for such folders as "My Documents," "My Music," "My Pictures" and others along those lines. Starting in the next Windows version, due out next year, folders will be known simply as "Documents," "Music," and so on.

Here is the line that grabbed my attention:

I thought it was the other way around: Anytime anybody does something, Microsoft wants to do it.

At least now, switching from Longhorn to OSX ">insert name fo big cat here<" will be a little less confusing. ^_^

By the way, isn't Allchin the same guy that said that Panther/Tiger were copies of Longhorn?

I actually don't mind.

A quick search for My reveals:
My Albums
My Chat Logs
My Received Files
My Deliveries
My Albums
My eBooks
My Games
My Music
My Pictures
My Videos
My Webs
My Playlists
My Documents
My Recent Documents
My Computer
My Downloads

And I have My Briefcase disabled.

They could save hundreds of megabytes by removing the letters "M" and "y" from the thousands of occurances in Windows :D

Not to mention MySQL ;)

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
Inspector Lee said:
It truly is a freakshow in Redmond these days. They simply don't get it. Think I'll download OpenOffice tonight and rid myself. Should have done it a long time ago...

It's a bit off-topic, but I recommend getting NeoOffice. It is a variant of OpenOffice.org which integrates far better with OS X. Functionality is the same as OpenOffice.org 1.1.4. You can get it from
http://www.neooffice.org.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
James Philp said:
The fËÇ?ing computer it mine!? Should I prefix EVERY SINGLE FILE with the word "My" on "My" Hard Drive?
Perhaps I'll go round and tag every single item I own with the word "My", even the paperclips!

A step in the right direction, but a small step down a long road with many-a-wind in it, that leads us to-ooo, where we-eee, belong... Mac OS X Tiger -Grrrr!

Now with Automator we could rename every file on the computer to have "my" at the beginning.

hehehe
:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
killuminati said:
That reminds me of the funniest thing that happened in school the other day.

My English teacher was trying to explain to us what an oxymoron is. So he said an example is "Microsoft Works". I thought that was funny.

That was sorta my point. :p

Same with the "Microsoft Money" post I quoted, I think. Play on words or whatever you call it.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
ahh, the suspense!! :rolleyes: i bet there's going to be an article about how Microsoft might rename themselves Crosoft now... the person who wrote that article has way to much time on their hands...

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
Prom1 said:
I really think the reason that they removed the "My" from Documents, Music, and Pictures is because no matter the user profile (prom1 or bunny), and no matter the account type (administrator or user for either or both) your folders truely dont belong to you, its open to anyone logged in. This occurs even in WinXP Pro SP2 with ALL current updates as of todays date. Just go into My Computer, click on the C:\ drive, then Documents and Settings (thats an issue right there), then click on the user's folder (prom1 or bunny), then click on their "My Documents" folder and you have full access to everything in their, even to delete stuff. This is within a default installation, no registry crap hacks, just a simple users experience.

If Windows is set up correctly you don't have access to the "My Documents" folder of other users - you can see the folder, you just can't see its contents. If you can, then you are most likely an admin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.