Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Update: As spotted by WCCFTech, Microsoft has now updated all of its Office apps - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook - to support Dark Mode.

Microsoft OneNote received an update on iOS today that brings much-awaited Dark Mode support to the popular note-taking app.

onenote-dark-mode-ipad.jpg

OneNote is usually a particularly bright app because of the large white scrollable canvases and pale menus, so this update should be a welcome one for users who work with it long into the night.
[*]How to Enable Dark Mode in iOS 13
Apart from supporting the new system-wide Dark Mode in iOS 13 and iPadOS, version 16.30 of OneNote makes no other changes to the app, as per the release notes:
Go easy on your eyes with Dark Mode: Switch to Dark Mode in low light environments or whenever you want to increase the legibility of the OneNote user interface and the readability of your notes.

Thanks for using OneNote! We listened to your feedback and updated the application with optimizations to help improve your note taking experience.
Microsoft has been adding Dark Mode support to a range of its apps. A Sticky Notes beta gained a dark mode earlier this month, while the rest of the Office iOS apps including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel already sport the twilight look in insider builds and are expected to go live with it any day now.

Article Link: Microsoft Office Apps for iOS Gain Dark Mode Support

Last edited:

LeonardXW

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
I stop using OneNote because the eraser tool the lagging most of the time for no reason (especially when erasing a big area of writing)

I am using GoodNotes 5 now and waiting for dark mode to come.

BlueCreek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
I think these are probably the few apps I wouldn’t use in dark mode, with the exception of outlook. I like to see what my documents would look like on a white background.

I am already having issues copy and pasting out of Notes into third party apps, as it pastes the white font colour onto a white background.

Reactions: jonnysods

tch999

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I think these are probably the few apps I wouldn’t use in dark mode, with the exception of outlook. I like to see what my documents would look like on a white background.

I am already having issues copy and pasting out of Notes into third party apps, as it pastes the white font colour onto a white background.

I agree on this. I love dark mode throughout iOS, but when I'm using Excel on my iPhone it just looks weird. I wish there was a toggle to turn it off for certain apps.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

I'm with you - not a fan. I'm hoping eventually there is a granular control of dark mode where I can exclude certain apps.

And copying and pasting is making me crazy right now - has been for ages. It either posts html files in iOS, or images on MacOS. And I'm not switching - I'm in with OneNote pretty deep!!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I like dark mode on iOS for OneNote. I use OneNote extensively for work - and with my iPad (Apple Pencil). It is nice - took awhile for Mac OS and iOS to get dark mode.

Can't imagine using Excel in dark mode tho...

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I agree on this. I love dark mode throughout iOS, but when I'm using Excel on my iPhone it just looks weird. I wish there was a toggle to turn it off for certain apps.

My Excel has dark menu buttons but all of the cells are still in white. Same with Word, the document page itself is in white. How do you get dark model to work fully in Excel?

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
it’s good they made actual page black.

On Mac OS, when you are writing in Word, UI is dark, but page is still white? it would be cool if everything was dark, like TextEdit, for example?

tch999

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
My Excel has dark menu buttons but all of the cells are still in white. Same with Word, the document page itself is in white. How do you get dark model to work fully in Excel?

That's what I meant by it looking weird - if it's going to implement a proper dark mode, you'd think it would try and change the cell colour too, but I can understand why they wouldn't. I feel like what we've got is pretty poor. Even just inverting colours for black/white on 'light mode' would have worked better.

I've also just noticed if you toggle dark mode off in Control Center whilst in Excel, the row/column headers seem to lag in changing colour compared to the rest of the interface.

williamwoneill

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
I really like this app but I hate it in Dark Mode. The highlighter is garbage in this mode along with the other complaints above. I wish the would give me a way to turn it off for this app. The handwritten preview to this side also sucks. This is a step backwards for an app that I love.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I really like this app but I hate it in Dark Mode. The highlighter is garbage in this mode along with the other complaints above. I wish the would give me a way to turn it off for this app. The handwritten preview to this side also sucks. This is a step backwards for an app that I love.

Astounding there isn't a toggle for this! I just turned off Dark Mode for iOS and OneNote went back to light. I cannot believe there isn't a manual toggle for this in OneNote. Hopefully in the next few updates!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.