Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Hi,

I currently have 3*4G 1333MHz DD3 ECC ram in my mac pro. I wanted to purchase 4gb more to fill the last slot and didn't notice the ram I purchased was non-ECC. Is it bad to mix ECC & non-ECC? If yes, were can I find 1333MHz DD3 ECC SDRAM (can't find it anywhere).

Thanks

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
To the OP, you do realize your CPUs utilize three RAM channels, right? Slots 3 and 4 run in parallel as the third channel. Optimum RAM performance is obtained when utilizing slots 1,2 and 3 with equally speced RAM and leaving slot 4 MT.

Lou

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
To the OP, you do realize your CPUs utilize three RAM channels, right? Slots 3 and 4 run in parallel as the third channel. Optimum RAM performance is obtained when utilizing slots 1,2 and 3 with equally speced RAM and leaving slot 4 MT.

Lou

Sorta that's why I initially purchased 12gb of ram, but I was under the impression it was because at the time the extra cost of filling the fourth slot wasn't worth it in terms of performance. With prices down these days I thought it may be worth it.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
You can mix them. I'd try that few times already. However, that will make you lost the ECC function.

Thanks everyone for the input, took out the non-ECC memory. Ran a check on the other three and they still work fine... as you can tell I know very little to nothing about comp hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.