Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
Hi Guys!

Today something amazing happened - after owning a Mid-2012 rMBP (very first model) for over 2 years and having many issues, Apple finally agreed to give me a new one, a CRU (Customer Replacement Unit).

The said it would take 2 weeks though. But I am very curious- Does anybody know which model they are more likely to give me? Could it be some 2012 retina models that they have somewhere in a warehouse? Or perhaps the very new 2015 one? Or perhaps 2014 that they still have in stock as it was pretty recent?

Also, my Mac is the base, entry model. But at the time of release the entry model had 1GB of dedicated GPU (at a $2,500 price tag, opposed to $1,999 nowadays, without the dedicated GPU). I have looked at some benchmarks and, naturally, the integrated graphics of the latest rMBPs have less power in that domain. So could it be possible I could get one with dedicated GPU?

Thanks in advance!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Does anybody know which model they are more likely to give me? Could it be some 2012 retina models that they have somewhere in a warehouse? Or perhaps the very new 2015 one? Or perhaps 2014 that they still have in stock as it was pretty recent?

Apple will replace it with a current model, at least that's what my experience tells me.

So could it be possible I could get one with dedicated GPU?

Most of these questions would be easily answered with a call to Apple. Anything stated on here is just a gues.

Reactions: chrfr

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi Guys!

Today something amazing happened - after owning a Mid-2012 rMBP (very first model) for over 2 years and having many issues, Apple finally agreed to give me a new one, a CRU (Customer Replacement Unit).

The said it would take 2 weeks though. But I am very curious- Does anybody know which model they are more likely to give me? Could it be some 2012 retina models that they have somewhere in a warehouse? Or perhaps the very new 2015 one? Or perhaps 2014 that they still have in stock as it was pretty recent?

Also, my Mac is the base, entry model. But at the time of release the entry model had 1GB of dedicated GPU (at a $2,500 price tag, opposed to $1,999 nowadays, without the dedicated GPU). I have looked at some benchmarks and, naturally, the integrated graphics of the latest rMBPs have less power in that domain. So could it be possible I could get one with dedicated GPU?

Thanks in advance!
Both these questions should be asked to an Apple representative. Anything we could answer would either be purely anecdotal or conjecture.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Hi Guys!...

I'm afraid I have no information to give you, but could you please let us know what the result was?

I have the same model as yours and have had lots of trouble, including 2 logic board replacements. It's acting up again and I'm thinking of asking for a replacement but am worried about losing the dedicated GPU.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
I'm afraid I have no information to give you, but could you please let us know what the result was?

I have the same model as yours and have had lots of trouble, including 2 logic board replacements. It's acting up again and I'm thinking of asking for a replacement but am worried about losing the dedicated GPU.

Same situation here buddy. That dedicated GPU makes our model much faster than the entry model from 2015! I recall reading a thread from 2013 where this guy got the option between having his Mid 2012 replaced by a new one from 2012 or one from 2013 without dedicated GPU. So if that happened back in 2013, it most likely will happen in 2015. And we dont really have much power of complaint to demand a dGPU in a 2015 rMBP when giving in a 2012 model. But oh well..

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Same situation here buddy. That dedicated GPU makes our model much faster than the entry model from 2015! I recall reading a thread from 2013 where this guy got the option between having his Mid 2012 replaced by a new one from 2012 or one from 2013 without dedicated GPU. So if that happened back in 2013, it most likely will happen in 2015. And we dont really have much power of complaint to demand a dGPU in a 2015 rMBP when giving in a 2012 model. But oh well..

Well, I hope they let you know soon. I can't imagine they'd ship you a new computer without telling you what to expect. Hopefully, worst case scenario, they allow you to pay the difference between the non-gpu and the gpu model - if you're so inclined.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
Hi Guys,

Apple has agreed to replace my Mid 2012 Retina MBP as a consequence of many problems for the past years. I have a couple of questions regarding the CRU I will receive, if somebody can help me out.

1. Will it be in a sealed box like a brand new one?

2. In the paper I was given confirming the CRU, under the "Replacement Unit" I will receive it says the same specifications as my computer, including the serial number. Does that mean it will get a 2012 model? And with the same Serial number? Or a 2015 with the same serial number?

3. Can I buy Applecare for the new computer?

4. Long shot this one. My Mac was the base model (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 1GB dGPU). The Dedicated GPU makes the 2012 more powerful than the 2015 base model, which is useful when gaming and video editing. As such am I in a position of asking for a model with dGPU at no extra cost in order to match the specifications of my Mac?

Thanks guys!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
They will try to replace it like-for-like if possible, but if they can't do this for whatever reason then they will give you a new one from the current generation that is as close as possible to the one that is being replaced. They may give you a choice if they have more than one option, but it's not guaranteed - you'd have to call them and ask.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
They tol
They will try to replace it like-for-like if possible, but if they can't do this for whatever reason then they will give you a new one from the current generation that is as close as possible to the one that is being replaced. They may give you a choice if they have more than one option, but it's not guaranteed - you'd have to call them and ask.

Hi Joe, thanks for your answer. They told they'd contact me within 2 weeks so that I go there, hand in my Mac and get the new one. So what do you mean by having choices if they'll send one over?

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Yes they’ll give you one with a discrete GPU at least as powerful as the 650m that you had.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
They tol

Hi Joe, thanks for your answer. They told they'd contact me within 2 weeks so that I go there, hand in my Mac and get the new one. So what do you mean by having choices if they'll send one over?

They'll only offer you a choice if they have two nearly equivalent replacements and it could go either way. At that point they'll ask you which one you'd prefer. The most likely scenario is that they'll have just one that matches the criteria and give you that one when you replace it.

Juan TS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
Yes they’ll give you one with a discrete GPU at least as powerful as the 650m that you had.

Do you think so? Because at the time the base model had it, not anymore. And I can't really imagine Apple giving me a 2015 (or even 2014) high end Mac with 2GB dGPU to match a 2012 base model with 1GB dGPU...

Juan TS

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
London, UK
They'll only offer you a choice if they have two nearly equivalent replacements and it could go either way. At that point they'll ask you which one you'd prefer. The most likely scenario is that they'll have just one that matches the criteria and give you that one when you replace it.

If I call do you think they'll know already?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.