Migration assistant for adding a computer instead of replacing.

Z28McCrory

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Indiana
Hi everyone.

Last month I purchased a new 2019 Mac Pro to replace my late 2013 Mac Pro. In the process I used migration assistant, along with quite a bit of manual cleanup (and ultimately had to reinstall Catalina at one point due to a strange bug with some old Wacom drivers). The process of using Migration assistant helped, but carried over some problems as well, but I now have the 2019 Mac Pro installed with everything I want, all the old junk cleared out, and all of my data either resides in iCloud connected folders or on my Synology NAS.

Yesterday I purchased a 2019 16” MacBook Pro to replace my late 2013 15” rMBP. Much like the Mac Pro transition, there are old version of software and other things that I don’t need or want to carry over from my old MacBook Pro.

Im wondering if it makes sense to simply backup my 2019 Mac Pro, and use that as the Migration Assistant source for getting the 2019 MacBook Pro setup. I know this is typically used for replacing an old computer with a new one, but any reason why I can’t use it to replicate the setup of an existing new computer to a 2nd new computer?

This would save me a lot of time with adding network printers, setting up shortcuts to linked folders, etc, plus move over exactly the same software that I know I want on it (which I realize I’ll need to manually add serial numbers n such, but at least they’d all be installed) and seems like a much more logical starting point than starting fresh or trying to cleanup the migration of my old MacBook Pro.

Thanks for any insight.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
You can try this and see if it works for you.
But...
In my experience, each Mac should be "it's own Mac".

I'd use setup assistant to migrate from the old MacBook to the new one, and then toss out the stuff that won't work any more...