Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pelsar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
israel
Its time....i now have to dive in to the world of CMS. I've done a bit of php..turned my mac in to a server and .....it was not a very pleasant experience.

So i'm looking for a CMS system that is Macish in look and feel (CMS for dummies if you will). and can be setup from the mac.

I'm come across mojoPortal, Jumla, droople and WordPress.....anybody with experience with mojoPortal? (I"m not impressed with the other three)

i've been using CushyCMS as a text editor for my clients with mixed results as they can really destroy as site if they want.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
MojoPortal is a new CMS to me, so I can't speak to it. It seems to have a following because it is one of the few open-source CMSs that is built for .net and IIS. So, if you have a client who insists on using windows servers and technologies, its an option.

In my experience -- when it comes to open source projects -- clients prefer a CMS that has a large-user base of installed developers. This is why Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress remain popular... its quite easy to find someone to make modifications or updates to your site if your original developer is gone.

Outside of that, I would go to a commercial company that provides support -- like the solutions from Ellis Labs -- before I moved to a smaller CMS.

In terms of being "maclike", this is really a function of theming. None of these systems are inherently more visual than the other, unless someone has a made a theme to make them so.

pelsar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
israel
sounds like i'm back to learning worldpress...i was kind of hoping for a "magic" piece of software...

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
sounds like i'm back to learning worldpress...i was kind of hoping for a "magic" piece of software...

I would go with Drupal. Especially with the D7UX project working on the next version of Drupal it will be the best.

It is certainly really easy to learn. Way easier than joomla, a little harder than wordpress but it has a lot more function

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, I too would like to know if there's a more Mac-like designer type CMS out there. Because when you say Mac-like, I look at it from a designer vs developer perspective and both Drupal and Joomla (Drupal more so) lean more toward a developer. My latest project with Drupal (a design/graphics heavy project) I constantly felt like I was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Case in point, I was trying to implement some image menu's (mouseover w/active state) and it was a nightmare. And some of the feedback I got from developers on their forums where "why don't you just use text CSS menu's?"

Maybe Drupal 7 will take designers more into mind (I used D6) but Joomla wasn't too far behind. I think one of the other issues I kept running into on both CMS's was if you wanted to spice things up with different modules/extensions, you were constantly fighting/fixing module incompatibilities (and some you wouldn't notice until much later if they were on different pages). Yeah there's a lot of extensions, but be careful! I spent hours and hours trying to track down things which I thought would be pretty straight forward to implement.

One side plug for Joomla is there's a pretty healthy theme environment out there, with some pretty good out-of-the box theme's, which you can then customize (to a point). IceTheme was one I played around with and they also had their own support forums.

WordPress, haven't used them for several years but I'm gonna give them another shot here soon as I've heard they've really matured. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.