Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

20th Century Fox today announced that its popular Movie of the Day app is expanding to the Apple TV ahead of Valentine's Day, giving Apple TV users an opportunity to get iTunes movie titles at a discounted price.

The app offers a different movie each day at prices that are generally more affordable than other online sources. Each deal is available for 24 hours.

movieoftheday.jpg

Tomorrow's movie, Kingsman: The Secret Service, will be available for purchase for $7.99. The Movie of the Day app normally keeps upcoming titles a surprise, but Fox is offering a sneak peek to celebrate the release of the Apple TV app. This week will include the following titles:

2/14: Kingsman: The Secret Service
2/15: Deadpool
2/16: Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters
2/17: Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates
2/18: Epic

To help users decide what's worth purchasing, the Movie of the Day app provides user reviews, information on a movie's cast, and a film synopsis to help users

The Movie of the Day app can be downloaded for free on the Apple TV, and it's also available on iOS devices. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fox's 'Movie of the Day' App Offering Discounted Titles Expands to Apple TV

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Great app. Used it many times to pick up a great film at a bargain price. Nice to see this expand to the Apple TV.

Would be great to see other movie studios roll out a similar app for their movie collections - Universal, Disney, Warner Bros., etc.

Reactions: xander49x

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Great app. Used it many times to pick up a great film at a bargain price. Nice to see this expand to the Apple TV.

Would be great to see other movie studios roll out a similar app for their movie collections - Universal, Disney, Warner Bros., etc.
Agreed. I check this app all the time.

I do wish it had fewer repeats. Some of the same titles cycle through the deal of the day.

Reactions: Eduardo1971

Alexlfm

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Midwest, US

The day Disney does something like this will be a cold day in hell indeed. While I do like their Disney movie anywhere approach being platform agnostic, they seem insistent on keeping the "value" of their digital and physical media high by not discounting much at all and either removing after launch, or only offering digital copies on high end disc releases. As for NBCU they already offer regular discounts which you can find on sites like the blu-ray.com price tracker. WB is really the only possibility since Sony will never sell on anything other then their baby UV.

Topfry

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2011
Sadly, not in uk, although it seems you can actually download the currently not working app. Still no tv app,either... i wish the Apple TV experience was not so inconsistent across territories.

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
The App's AppleTV Preview will show you the prices of some of the movies too.
Epic and Percy are $4.99
Looks like Mike and Dave is $9.99
Deadpool? maybe $7.99?

Ptjones1968

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
Massachusetts
The day Disney does something like this will be a cold day in hell indeed. While I do like their Disney movie anywhere approach being platform agnostic, they seem insistent on keeping the "value" of their digital and physical media high by not discounting much at all and either removing after launch, or only offering digital copies on high end disc releases. As for NBCU they already offer regular discounts which you can find on sites like the blu-ray.com price tracker. WB is really the only possibility since Sony will never sell on anything other then their baby UV.
Warner Bros. is a staunch supporter of Ultraviolet too, but I think Spectre, which is a Columbia release had a choice for iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.