Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
When I got my B&W G3, it came with a Logitech 3 button(2 button+scroll wheel) mouse that worked perfectly with that particular computer. Both left and right click, as well as the scroll wheel, worked The computer had OS 8.5.5 installed when I got it, but I've since upgraded that computer to 9.2.2 and the same mouse continues to work fine.

I've tried other 2 and 3 button mice with other OS 9 computers, and never can seem to get the right button or scroll wheel to work.

Is there an extension or something else that I need to install in OS 9 to get full 3-button mouse support?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I use USBOverdrive on my classic Mac computers. It seems to work well, but it does need a serial number to work beyond the trial period.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Yeah, USBOverdrive is great. When does the trial period end though? I find that it simply tells me that I am not registered (upon boot-up), but that's it... It seems as though I can freely use it beyond that. Then again, it's not everyday I boot one of my OS9 machines.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
You don't even need USB Overdrive nagware(shareware), install the Microsoft PowerPC OS 8.x/9.1 driver and its just the MS licensed edition. (how I know? when my old Explorer mouse died in 2000, a spare 5-button Logitech & Macally worked with the control panel)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just thought I'd drag up this older thread to report somewhat of a solution.

I installed Logitech Mouseware on a couple of OS 9 systems. It works with OS 8.6 and newer.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/3223/logitech-mouseware-usb

This allows you to set up any button on the mouse however you want, although it defaults to control-click(right click) for the right button, and scrolling with the scroll wheel.

The caveat is that it ONLY works with a Logitech mouse. I actually ended up digging through a big box of computer-branded mice and looked at the bottom of every one to pull the Logitechs. A fair number of generic Dell and Gateway branded mice are Logitech, it's not a huge deal to find them cheap even if you don't have one.

Reactions: blackcrayon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.