iPad Pro My iPad Pro’s aluminum is warped

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melancholy, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melancholy, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018

melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

Not sure if this was always the case, but I just realized my iPad Pro’s aluminum body is warped twice, the two curvy creases almost looks like a bulgy box.

It’s hard to see in photos, but videos seem to show it when light is directed at it. I can slightly feel the two bulges. I’m unsure if it’s bent twice, warped, or something inside is bulging out. I’m unsure if it was the result from drawing.

I’m passed my 15 day return period, now that this Wednesday has passed. Will Apple let me exchange it?

Images below (one of them I edited for dramatic effect since it’s not showing well on photos)

Attached Files:

2. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

1rottenapple

Oh I see it. Take it to them I bet they’ll exchange it and probably bring it to their factory and investigate the cause.

They have pretty good customer service.
    I did a battery exchange on my iPhone 8 Plus and they messed up the swap. They gave me a new one haha.

3. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Definitely take it in ASAP and be nice. If you have to speak to the store manager, do so.

Good luck OP.

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

1rottenapple

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Return it. Apple will replace as long as it shows no signs of abuse. I would have noticed a bulge like that right out of the box.

7. Aston441 macrumors 65816

I hope they have "9000 series aluminium the finest recycled environmentally sensitive aluminium alloy ever offered by Apple in an iPad Pro" ready for the next iPad pro.

8. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

They probably want to capture such a defect and would gladly exchange it being such a new device in general.

9. melancholy thread starter macrumors 6502

melancholy

Thanks for the advice guys

For sure! Woke up early to beat the Black Friday madness. Gonna be the worst day ever haha

On the newer ones, sadly

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would not get near a mall today. I hear the expressway was backed up trying yet into Town Center. I do not need anything that bad.

11. WesEdit macrumors member

WesEdit

Where does this quote come from?

12. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

Not sure, but at the last keynote didn’t apple say something about making MacBooks or something and using the shavings to make other products? Maybe that

13. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

You people are doing this wrong... you are supposed to tell the OP to take better care of their device. ;)

Seriously though, sorry to hear that you are experiencing this... as others have said, take it to the Apple Store... ASAP even today if possible.

14. UrbanExtant macrumors member

UrbanExtant

So sorry to hear this happened to you, but thank you for posting your experience, along with photos. The more this issue is brought to light, the less Apple, and its defenders, will be able to deny it’s an issue.

Bring the pad, and all its kit from the box it arrived in, to an Apple Store, and be nice, explaining what you had happen, and show them the issue. Be kind, and tell them you simply want Apple to stand behind their product, and replace it with a new, unbent one. Also, ask that the associate pass on to corporate what happened, so it can be properly investigated.

I have learned, if you don’t request your device, and its issue be investigated, it isn’t always seriously looked into.

15. melancholy thread starter macrumors 6502

melancholy

I just came back from the store, they had one more left. Thank god I came early! They told me they’ll make an exception since I’m two days off my return period.

She took a brief look at the iPad and I think she noticed it, but I guess she took my word for it.

Thank you for the advice. So glad they managed to replace it without much thought.

I remember I thoroughly inspected my device on launch day, and I’ve never noticed it. So I’m assuming it must’ve came after the fact.

If it wasn’t warped, or something bulging out from the inside, it could’ve been bent. And the only time I can imagine it being bent was when I was having an intense drawing session on the couch with my legs up and using my right hand to grip the right side of the iPad (where the warps are) as the left side laid on my left knee. But I doubt that should be enough to make those creases. If it was caused by that, I hope Apple creates a stronger frame.

16. Johnny365 macrumors 6502a

Johnny365

Probably the thin aluminum and the battery indenting on the back case.

17. UrbanExtant macrumors member

UrbanExtant

Melancholy-

I doubt your device arrived with those dents/bends. From the sound of it, you’re like me, and you thoroughly inspect your devices upon unpacking them. I suspect your deduction is the correct one, and that this happened through your normal use of the device. What you experienced was a very real concern I had during the two days I owned one of these new, 2018 iPad Pros. It heavily weighed in my decision to return my device with accessories, and decide to skip this iteration. Bendability and lack of split keyboard are the two factors that made the decision to return everything.

I hope you have better luck with this new device. May I suggest that you take numerous pictures of the new device right away, showing it is not bent, or creased, so if this occurs again, you can present everything to an Apple Store manager? Happy holidays to you, and my fingers are crossed your experience this go around is a more positive one.

18. melancholy thread starter macrumors 6502

melancholy

Wow, thank you very much, I appreciate it! Same with you and happy holidays!

And it is indeed a good idea to take pictures beforehand just for safe measures. Unfortunately, I don’t think I have it in me to wait for the next one, especially with classes resuming in Jan. But I’ll definitely baby this one. I doubt I’ll ever take off the folio when drawing and writing on a desk, because it’ll expose the camera hump.

19. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Lol I'm just making it up, I'm just spewing some of their goo like their marketing department makes up for every keynote.

20. Johnny365 macrumors 6502a

Johnny365

But it shouldn’t be damaged for a device just released not even two weeks ago.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That speaks volumes that Apple permitted the return, even when the OP was two days over their return period. Some companies, cell phone carriers, ec do not make exceptions in circumstances like this, and Apple did, which is why I continue to support them.

22. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Glad to hear you got a replacement. Enjoy it.

23. melancholy thread starter macrumors 6502

melancholy

Oh my god. I can’t tell if my eyes are going bad, I’m going crazy, or if I’m about to witness my aluminum body start to warp again.

I hardly used it since I got it! Didn’t even draw on it yet. Yet I’m starting to see faint marks on the back, except I don’t feel them this time. I’ve noticed a long 3rd crease near the camera, you can’t see them under normal lighting, but if have directional light shooting at it on an angle, you can somewhat see the shadow caused by the tiny bulge. My inner gut keeps telling me it’s the magnets within the iPad, since they’ve only appeared only where the folio mainly sticks on to. lol

I’ve relentlessly tried to wipe these ‘marks’ off, but no use. wtf I’m so confused, since I hardly touched the back after putting the folio case on right away

These casings are like butter.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2018 ---
    Omg I think it is the magnets. I just put the edge where the marks are, and it’s the only place where the case snaps on too.

Attached Files:

24. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I was just wondering if the strong magnets attached to the back were really a good idea or not

25. melancholy thread starter macrumors 6502

melancholy

But you do see them, right? I’m not going crazy? I don’t feel the bumps, however I can see the light making shadows where the bumps are...

I feel like they should’ve went for a stronger metal that’s for sure...

Anyway I just checked out Apple’s intro video for the new iPad Pro, there’s an empty area in the casing where my iPad is getting there marks at. Perhaps a weak point? I take my iPad out of its folio a lot when I’m laying in bed...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.