Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Just a heads up, Garmin has discontinued Navigon and will be removing it from the App Store on May 14.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Is it? Is Garmin app also going to be discontinued?
I bought Navigon app for $29 few years ago for offline GPS navigation since I didn't have a data plan at the time. It worked for sometime and later updates required data even though the maps were stored locally on the iPhone or maybe it was change in Apple's iOS design... that's what Apple store staff told me when I took it to them to check if something was wrong with the iPhone or Navigon app and Navigon support was non-existent.
Garmin bought Navigon only to shelve competitor app (Navigon) and promote it's own Garmin app.

Now there are free apps for offline maps besides Apple and Google Maps.

Just a heads up, Garmin has discontinued Navigon and will be removing it from the App Store on May 14.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The App Store pages say for both the Navigon & Garmin apps that they will be removed May 14th, but will be supported for two more years.

Of course if the apps break due to an iOS update, it will be immediate.

That being said, my main of the Navigon use was as a just in case when driving in areas without cell service, or driving in Canada & other countries without using expensive roaming data. Does anyone have any suggestions of offline driving map apps to replace these discontinued apps?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Here Maps, Navfree.
Even in Google Maps you can download the map for a specific local area - not very helpful for long distance driving and you have to redownload it after a month or so... so it's not really an off-line navigation

The App Store pages say for both the Navigon & Garmin apps that they will be removed May 14th, but will be supported for two more years.

Of course if the apps break due to an iOS update, it will be immediate.

That being said, my main of the Navigon use was as a just in case when driving in areas without cell service, or driving in Canada & other countries without using expensive roaming data. Does anyone have any suggestions of offline driving map apps to replace these discontinued apps?

Reactions: rbrian

Mike B in ok

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Oklahoma

I’ve used the CoPilot app for that in the US and many foreign countries for years. I’ve always been happy with it.

oregonpete

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
Oregon, USA
I've also used CoPilot as well as Navigon. Didn't like it quite as well but it does the job driving in areas without cell service. If you are going to buy it I'd recommend the paid version. It's called CoPilot HD US in the App Store and is currently $15. There is a free version, but nearly everything is a paid in-app upgrade: Voice Navigation, Turn-by-turn, Speed Limits, Lane Indicators... They also have an RV and Truck version. You can compare the features of the different versions here https://copilotgps.com/en-us/compare-features/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.