Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
Hey everyone.
I need an opinion quickly. I have a REALLY old mac (350mhz G3 upgraded Powercenter). It is falling apart and I desperately need a new Mac. Sadly, I cannot afford a NEW NEW Mac so I was thinking about maybe getting something cheap to replace it in the meantime.

I found some G4 400MHZ towers for like $700. Do you think the difference in perfomance would be enough to warrant it? Or, should I just suffer for now and keep saving my money so I can buy the next generation Mac when it is released in the summer or whatever?

Any thoughts would help.

Thanks,
Joe

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
can you afford to suffer??
can you afford to get that mac??

also, what do you mean falling apart. is it hardware, software, OS etc...

why dont you ask and see what we can do?

This forum does have a help section. right under this one. :)

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
Not falling apart literally - it is just very old and VERY buggy. I've done everything possible - reinstalled the system many many times, added periphals, updated graphics cards. You just get to a point where the age of the computer starts showing - because it just doesn't work with modern programs.

I am a graphic designer - so I use heavy duty stuff - a lot of wear and tear over the years on my ancient computer.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i would recomend you get something that you can either sell of give to your son/daughter later.

Like a cube. i know that my younger brother (im 17) would love a cube. its just i cant afford them. even on ebay.

Or an imac. I suggest these because they are only short term solutions. if you dont need the pci slots these will save you alot of trips to the dumpster, or postoffice.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Why not just get the $999 iBook? It would certainly be a good deal better than a G4 400 desktop, and would probably have better resale value.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Well... if its any help, I remember when I upgraded from my 292mhz G3 to a 450mhz G4 I was absolutely stunned by the performance enhancement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.