Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowtech51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with a weak battery - less than 50% health. My MacBook is telling me to "replace soon". Should I spend the $200 to replace the battery or spend $bigbucks to replace the MacBook. I am not interested in replacing the battery myself since it is a glue-in. Yes I know it is possible, but I rather let the geniuses do damage my MacBook than do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I have the same model and will be facing the same decision myself soon. My gut feel is that since everything is woking great right now, and I still have a couple of 32 bits apps, I'm better to replace my battery.

Reactions: lowtech51

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
Depends on what you do with the machine.

If it is still an adequate computer for your needs, have the battery replaced. The machine should last you into the early 2020s.

If it's starting to feel sluggish, might want to considering buying a new machine and putting the money towards that purchase.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Whether or not you decide to keep it, I'd go ahead and get it replaced. You'll be able to get more $$ for it with a new battery. Plus, it'll have a new keyboard as well. So you can advertise it as like new or maybe even refurbished.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I have to second TGM85's suggestion. If the computer hardware beats or meets your expectations, then the obvious financial choice is to replace the consumable battery and save your $$ for other life purposes.

lowtech51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Whether or not you decide to keep it, I'd go ahead and get it replaced. You'll be able to get more $$ for it with a new battery. Plus, it'll have a new keyboard as well. So you can advertise it as like new or maybe even refurbished.

Does Apple replace the keyboard when they replace the battery? Just asking. And thanks for the reply, you and everybody.

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Does Apple replace the keyboard when they replace the battery? Just asking. And thanks for the reply, you and everybody.
Yes. It's due to the design. Apple glued the battery to the aluminum top case, and the keyboard is riveted to that same aluminum top case as well. I believe the trackpad will also be replaced. So you get a lot of the wear parts replaced for $199 USD.

lowtech51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I am very grateful for the input and feedback. Many, many thanks! I am planning to replace the battery soon. I'm also thinking I will begin to shop for a good refurbished MBP a little newer than mine. Having a second around the house seems to be a good idea. My machine is a tool as well as a toy. I am dependent on it for work and enjoy it for play.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I am very grateful for the input and feedback. Many, many thanks! I am planning to replace the battery soon. I'm also thinking I will begin to shop for a good refurbished MBP a little newer than mine. Having a second around the house seems to be a good idea. My machine is a tool as well as a toy. I am dependent on it for work and enjoy it for play.

Your MacBook should fall under the new MacBook battery replacement program. Where they are replacing 15” MacBook pros batteries free

lowtech51

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Your MacBook should fall under the new MacBook battery replacement program. Where they are replacing 15” MacBook pros batteries free
Thanks for your reply. I saw that announcement on komando.com. I entered my MBP SN and the results say no. Mine is a 13". Never the less, I'll look into it more deeply.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Spend the $200 and replace the battery.

The 2015's (compared to the new ones) are considerably more rugged, better keyboard, more ports.

I'm not giving mine up!

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Definitely comes down to how you use your computer, and how much power you need. The great thing I find with Mac is that they are very capable for many years.

The things you want to consider before deciding to upgrade is, are you ok losing the ports? If you are considering a refurbished 2016 or 2017, those seem to be the most vulnerable to the keyboard issues, and stage lighting effect on the screen. 2016 and 2017 also still have the dual core where the 2018 and 2019 have the updated quad core, and the speed definitely shows.

Here's the good news, if you get the battery replaced regardless, right now your 2015 has the highest resale value you are going to see it having, and it would be a great time to sell it if you decide to upgrade. You could use that MacBook Pro to pay a good portion towards your new MacBook Pro. I think you would get that $200 battery replacement cost you pay up front on that back end of the sale and make it more marketable.

People have gotten very antsy with the new models, particularly with the keyboard issues with the butterfly design, so many are still purchasing the 2015's, and paying a premium for them. I am not reading any complaints yet on the 2019's and am thinking they may have finally found the true fix. The stage lighting also appears to be fixed.

Your money, and your call, but if you want new and rely on these for work and pleasure the way I do, you may serve yourself well going with the 2019, or a 2018 if you could get a really good deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.