Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile game developer Jam City this week launched the first trailer, as well as revealed a few new details, for its upcoming iOS and Android role-playing game set in the Harry Potter universe, called "Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery." The game shouldn't be confused with the other upcoming Harry Potter iOS game, "Harry Potter: Wizards Unite," which is the augmented reality title being created by Pokémon Go developer Niantic.

In Jam City's game (the developer behind "Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow"), players will be able to create their own Hogwarts student, attend classes, gain new spells, interact with other students, and more as they progress through their education at the school. Jam City said that this marks the "first game" where you can role play as your own customized student at Hogwarts.

harry-potter-hogwarts-mystery.jpg

In terms of story, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery is set in the 1980s, after Harry Potter is born but before he enrolls at Hogwarts. The game features both "large plot arcs" and "smaller stories" that relate to relationship quests with fellow students, and an "encounter system" that will make your decisions impact both quests and how certain characters interact with you.
The game is set in the time between Harry Potter's birth and his enrollment at Hogwarts, when Nymphadora Tonks and Bill Weasley were students. The avatar customization system allows you to continually upgrade your avatar as you gain new expertise and magical skills - you can even choose your own pet. You will join one of the four Houses before progressing through your years at Hogwarts, participating in magical classes and activities such as Potions and Transfiguration. Building your skills will come in handy as you solve mysteries and go on adventures. As players improve their skills, they will unlock new locations, spells and other magical abilities.
Before the game officially launches in spring 2018, Jam City will debut it at A Celebration of Harry Potter, an event at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida starting January 26. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery is also launching under Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment's game label Portkey Games, which the company said is dedicated to launching new games that let players "explore, discover and be at the center of their very own wizarding world adventure."

While Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery has a launch window of this spring, the AR-fueled Harry Potter: Wizards Unite has yet to be given a more specific date besides sometime in 2018. During its announcement, Niantic said players will be able to learn spells that help them explore their real world neighborhoods to discover and battle the wizarding world's fantastic beasts.

Article Link: New Details and First Trailer Debut for iOS RPG 'Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery'

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
They should have called it “Harry Potter and The Mysterious Hog”. Now that’s a catchy title!

slammer0

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I fell in love Potter universe in the books and movies but apart of that (new books and games) it was terrible. I hope this one will be different but when I see what is recently happening to this brand the chances are low and there is high chance it will be pay-to-win type of game. Especially when I see the graphics that is suited for low-end Android phones.

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
Why are computer graphics in games so terrible?

It is not just any 'lazy attitude' the development team might have for the graphics. Most RPGs and MMOs have to be developed for the 'low-end' spectrum of the user computer-equipment scale. That way they will have little trouble in running the game on most users' systems ...those who have the minimal equipment necessary to play the game smoothly.

Last edited:

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Damn this looks like my computer game I love! I hope it’s just as awesome! They should ruin Pokemon like they did again..

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
My MBP makes Snape look like he's be cut out of a cereal packet and drawn by a 5-year-old using a crayon?

View attachment 747490

Can you share a grab from your computer?
Why would a grab from my computer tell you anything? You said nothing about the graphics from this game. You said this:
Why are computer graphics in games so terrible?

Computer graphics in games - plural and sort of all encompassing and definitely not true. Computer graphics in this game - specific and true. The graphics are horrible in this game. Not games in general though.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
We have graphics standards for phones now? These graphics are better than any PS1/PS2 I played as a kid and not much different from a Nintendo Switch.

Graphics don’t make the game, Pokémon Go wasn’t great and still did well and I don’t hear anyone complaining about Minecraft.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
We have graphics standards for phones now? These graphics are better than any PS1/PS2 I played as a kid and not much different from a Nintendo Switch.

Graphics don’t make the game, Pokémon Go wasn’t great and still did well and I don’t hear anyone complaining about Minecraft.

It's not about graphical fidelity, or how many shader processors you need at turbo clocks on your super hardcore RGB gaming rig. It's about art design. And this is not looking good. A good montre when it comes to creating visual designs, is that it's better to aim low and hit than to shoot for the moon and miss. The art team behind this game clearly made the designs for graphical quality that wasn't achieved and it ends up looking bad. I played an HP game on the PS 2 that had worse graphics, but looked better, because it was designed for the graphics the PS 2 could deliver. Hell, I played HP and the Philosopher's Stone on PS1 and the same could be said for that.

Reactions: ErikGrim

ardaburak

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Istanbul

Mobile game developer Jam City this week launched the first trailer, as well as revealed a few new details, for its upcoming iOS and Android role-playing game set in the Harry Potter universe, called "Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery." The game shouldn't be confused with the other upcoming Harry Potter iOS game, "Harry Potter: Wizards Unite," which is the augmented reality title being created by Pokémon Go developer Niantic.

In Jam City's game (the developer behind "Futurama: Worlds of Tomorrow"), players will be able to create their own Hogwarts student, attend classes, gain new spells, interact with other students, and more as they progress through their education at the school. Jam City said that this marks the "first game" where you can role play as your own customized student at Hogwarts.

harry-potter-hogwarts-mystery.jpg

In terms of story, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery is set in the 1980s, after Harry Potter is born but before he enrolls at Hogwarts. The game features both "large plot arcs" and "smaller stories" that relate to relationship quests with fellow students, and an "encounter system" that will make your decisions impact both quests and how certain characters interact with you.
Before the game officially launches in spring 2018, Jam City will debut it at A Celebration of Harry Potter, an event at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida starting January 26. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery is also launching under Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment's game label Portkey Games, which the company said is dedicated to launching new games that let players "explore, discover and be at the center of their very own wizarding world adventure."

While Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery has a launch window of this spring, the AR-fueled Harry Potter: Wizards Unite has yet to be given a more specific date besides sometime in 2018. During its announcement, Niantic said players will be able to learn spells that help them explore their real world neighborhoods to discover and battle the wizarding world's fantastic beasts.

Article Link: New Details and First Trailer Debut for iOS RPG 'Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery'

I'm not against the whole cartoonish look but in 2018 you expect a little more.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I thought it was the next installment of "Myst" from Cyan from the truncated text from the YouTube link.

expiredyogurt

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
not america
a game from niantic? yeah dont hold your breath. they werent able to fix the bugs in pokemon go and they made millions per day. if there is a need to vote with your wallet, it's this time.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I don't get your complaints, this game looks awesome! The last Harry potter game I played was Lego Harry potter on my iPod Touch 4g and it was great.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Going to be filled with in-app purchases to cast spells, play different characters, etc... One time price of a reasonable amount, might tempt me, but if there are ton of in-app purchases, no thanks.

Buy a bag of wands for $1.99
Buy a bundle of wands for $4.99
Buy a ton of wands for $9.99
Buy a muggle full of wands for $19.99
Buy a bag of spells for $1.99

etc..

:(

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Why would a grab from my computer tell you anything? You said nothing about the graphics from this game. You said this:

Computer graphics in games - plural and sort of all encompassing and definitely not true. Computer graphics in this game - specific and true. The graphics are horrible in this game. Not games in general though.
FM, YAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.